sukam for my av systems???

manu4panjab

power conditioner for my av systems???

hello friends

now summer starts and everybody in their home using air conditioner my point is where i live in jalandhar here we have mostly 90% of houses including mine using air conditioner in summer and this lead to very low voltage supply in every home so i heard about SU KAM does it help me to protect my av receiver,my sony projector ,two subwoofers,xbox 360 and my dvd player :sad:

or is there any other device :sad:

Last edited:
SU KAM does it help me to protect my av receiver,my sony projector ,two subwoofers,xbox 360 and my dvd player :sad:

Manu, there are a number of threads where SuhasG has beautifully explained the need for care when choosing a power conditioning equipment.

Sukam makes inverters. Basically what this does is store some energy in a battery. When the power goes off, the inverter converts the 12 volts DC to 220 A/c. The resultant output is generally what is called a quasi sine wave which is all right for products such as fans and lights. To a certain extent these will work with a TV as TVs have SMPS inside. In addition, these inverters have a limited life. If you read their pamphlets they will say '2 fans + 4 lights for 2 hours'. If you add any power hungry device such as a fridge, the inverters will die fast.

Products such as amplifiers need pure sine wave. Amplifiers have a transformer inside that is used to generate the power needed to drive the speakers. These will draw energy like mad. So is the case with a projector. If you don't use pure sine wave energy source for these devices, you will be plagued with noise in both the sound and images.

Companies such as APC make pure sine wave UPSs. These will be better suited for equipment such as amplifiers, players, and projectors.

Please read through the other threads on power conditioning.

Cheers

hey brother what's with this have heard it or read it

Zephyr Power Conditioner + Halcyon Voltage Stabilizer
Audire Technologies introduces its newest lineup of power conditioners and voltage stabilizers. Featured in the January issue of Av Max Magazine, Audire's power conditioner is a budget oriented high performance power conditioner specifically made to suit the Indian power scenario. Completely built in India, this scalable system is custom configured to the customer's specific application, and has output capabilities ranging from 1kVa and upwards , for residential and commercial usage. The salient feature of this power conditioner is its ability to clean up your existing power supply, giving you a huge performance improvement in both audio and video. The audio signals become much cleaner, transient and life like, while the black levels and contrasts in video are enriched. Further features include mains isolation, q transformation, line filtering, balanced power output, high voltage cutoff, spike suppression, and delayed switch on on selected outputs. The basic system can be upgraded to any extent, including the usage of high end internal wiring, high end power cords and the best output sockets in the world. The Zephyr is built on Audire's twenty year experience in the medical power electronics field, and it is truly the easiest and most cost effective way to get much more from your existing system. You will be surprised by the amount of difference clean power makes to your system.

Audire also makes a halcyon servo addon system to the zephyr package to manage ungainly fluctuations in voltages.

For more information please do contact us from the contact page in our website:

http://www.audire.in/contact.html

and please venkatcr suggest me some good products i don't want to loose my av sytems products

Su-Kam has been making pure sine wave products for a long time now. Their products are also UL and CE certified for conformance to specs like emi interference and safety.

Cheers

Well, if Sukam makes good pure sine wave products, there is no harm in using them.

Generally Inverters / UPS that generate pure sine wave are not advised for amplifiers and projectors as their costs become prohibitive. It is better to use servo controlled stabilisers that provide good protection. Of course these can only be used when you have power in you main lines.

In addition to the stabilisers made by Audire, Krykard and Vertex make good stabilisers.

Cheers

Well, if Sukam makes good pure sine wave products, there is no harm in using them.

Generally Inverters / UPS that generate pure sine wave are not advised for amplifiers and projectors as their costs become prohibitive. It is better to use servo controlled stabilisers that provide good protection. Of course these can only be used when you have power in you main lines.

In addition to the stabilisers made by Audire, Krykard and Vertex make good stabilisers.

Cheers

hey brother what is the meaning of if you have power in your main lines can't understand that :indifferent14:

hey brother what is the meaning of if you have power in your main lines can't understand that :indifferent14:

UPS will supply power when the mains don't. A servo-stab does not have battery backup and will only regulate the mains power.

HTH
Regards

No you don't. Use either one.

Cheers

thanks brother :cool:

so it means can i use apc power conditioner
and can you please tell me how much power for apc do i needand what it cost me i basically need it for my av receiver and projector

power consumption of av receiver is nearly 500 watt and projector is 300 watts

and can i connect my xbox 360 game console to it and can i connect my two subwoofers to it

and also in future i may be going to buy emotiva upa 7 channel amplifier whose power requirements are like this in their site (power requirement for all 7 channels driven is 1500 watts and power consumption is stanby 4 watts and idle 46 watts ) so also keep that in mind when you choose apc power conditioner for me
i use it basically for my front polk tsi 400 floorstanders which are rated at 200 watts max so i use only 2 channel from it and it can give me 170 watts x 2 channels
and i connect it to onkyo 706 so i can reduce the load from onkyo av receiver so it can easliy drive mine centre and surrounds

and also clear me out if i use 3 channels from emotiva upa 7 for my fornts and centre it gives me 160 watts x 3 channels but my centre speakers is rated at 150 watts max so does it do damage to my centre speaker at 160 watts

Last edited:
one more thing venkatcr

if i use xpa-3 which is rated at 200 watts x 3 channles can it also damage my centre speakers if i use it because centre speaker is rated at 150 watts max

As per your figures, your current usage is 800 watts. For this you will need a stabiliser/UPS with a capacity of 1.5KVA. You future requirements is another 2200 watts for which you will need a additional capacity of 3.5KVa. Please check with your local UPS dealer for prices.

In terms of your amplifier and centre speakers, as long as don't drive the speaker too hard, there will be no issues.

I am concerned about your mad rush for more and more power. You really don't need so much power. With you current AVR, the Onkyo 706 and the Emotiva you are looking at a total of 2700 watts. Frankly this is too much for your room. if you are looking at all this to remove 'distortion', I would suggest you please call a sound engineer and check what the issues are. As I mentioned in another thread of yours, by adding more power, you are not going to solve the distortion issues.

I am also deeply concerned at the possible level of amplification you use on a regular basis. Please never use more than 75dB at your sitting position from any of your speakers. Loud noise will destroy your ears, may lead to bleeding, and will certainly get you Tinnitus.

Cheers

As per your figures, your current usage is 800 watts. For this you will need a stabiliser/UPS with a capacity of 1.5KVA. You future requirements is another 2200 watts for which you will need a additional capacity of 3.5KVa. Please check with your local UPS dealer for prices.

In terms of your amplifier and centre speakers, as long as don't drive the speaker too hard, there will be no issues.

I am concerned about your mad rush for more and more power. You really don't need so much power. With you current AVR, the Onkyo 706 and the Emotiva you are looking at a total of 2700 watts. Frankly this is too much for your room. if you are looking at all this to remove 'distortion', I would suggest you please call a sound engineer and check what the issues are. As I mentioned in another thread of yours, by adding more power, you are not going to solve the distortion issues.

I am also deeply concerned at the possible level of amplification you use on a regular basis. Please never use more than 75dB at your sitting position from any of your speakers. Loud noise will destroy your ears, may lead to bleeding, and will certainly get you Tinnitus.

Cheers

:signthankspin: brother

so is apc ups with 1.5kva is enough (you said For this you will need a stabiliser/UPS with a capacity of 1.5KVA)
and what about two subwoofers with 300 watts each can i also connect them to apc ups or we don't need power conditioner for subwoofers

and as for your power hungry question :clapping::yahoo::sos:

i got you ans brother no distortion solution by adding more power got it:thumbsup:

so one more stupid suggestion i want as you know right now i'm using old onkyo 5100 htib av receiver
what should i buy in future for av reciver upgrade i mean which company denon,onkyo hk or maratnz

Last edited:
one more thing i have order dac speaker cables 12AWG
so it can improve my sound quality rather than using those very very cheap local made speaker cables i have use right now :cool:

an i right :sad:

so is apc ups with 1.5kva is enough (you said For this you will need a stabiliser/UPS with a capacity of 1.5KVA)
and what about two subwoofers with 300 watts each can i also connect them to apc ups or we don't need power conditioner for subwoofers

That will be 600 watts more and a requirement of additional 900VA. So go for a 2.5 KVA UPS/Stabiliser

what should i buy in future for av reciver upgrade i mean which company denon,onkyo hk or maratnz

I would suggest you wait for a month or so. The reviews of the new AVRs have just started coming in. We will know by mid June. It looks as if this year also Onkyo (at the premium level) and Yamaha (at the budget level) will rule the roost.

To answer your question about cables, yes the DAC will certainly improve your SQ.

Cheers

Last edited:
That will be 600 watts more and a requirement of additional 900VA. So go 2.5 KVA UPS/Stabiliser

I would suggest you wait for a month or so. The reviews of the new AVRs have just started coming in. We will know by mid June. It looks as if this year also Onkyo (at the premium level) and Yamaha (at the budget level) will rule the roost.

To answer your question about cables, yes the DAC will certainly improve your SQ.

Cheers

thanks brother
but you don't ans my question about do we need power condition for subwoofers too:sad:

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back