Surround placement if I have 2 rows?

manishk13

Hi

I MAY decide to go for 2 rows - one at 14 feet from the screen and another at 21 feet. Width of the room is around 15 feet 8 inches. I am confused about at WHAT distance from the screen to put the surrounds. Options:

1. Next to front row at 14 feet. But then it is too much in the front for the second row
2. Next to back row at 21 feet. But this is too much back for the 1st row
3. In between the two around 17 feet. But it is neither here nor there.

My predominant position will be at 14 feet and only guests will be in second row :) So, I am currently thinking of 14 feet. Is that ok?

Thanks
Manish

Manish,
Why is there so much of a gap between your two rows of seating? When you have multiple rows, you will require risers. Risers helps in vertical positioning of your screen to suit both rows. Check this linky: Whole House Audio/Video - Custom Home Theaters | Entertainment Technology

1. Next to front row at 14 feet. But then it is too much in the front for the second row
2. Next to back row at 21 feet. But this is too much back for the 1st row
3. In between the two around 17 feet. But it is neither here nor there.
Enjoyed reading ^:).

Santosh

1. Yes you will enjoy reading as you are the one who had first suggested ;) Now that the civil work is over, my mouth is watering and I am temptedfor second row and move guitars, amplifiers etc to the side wall .

2. Remember in fll reclining position recliners need around 6 feet; hence 14 and 21 feet plan

3. Yes I am planning to rise the backrow by around 6 inches atleast

But plsanswer the question about surround placement ? They are bi-polars

Rgds
Manish

2. Remember in fll reclining position recliners need around 6 feet; hence 14 and 21 feet plan
Still, you don't need that much space between them. 4 ft should be more than comfy.

But plsanswer the question about surround placement ? They are bi-polars
Put them in between, I'd say. IMO, since they are bi-polar, both rows will be catered to. Tweak your AVR to get the best results, maybe set the surrounds at around 10 to 20 dB more than usual till it suits your requirement.

yes the spacing between the 2 rows is 4 feet. Here is the calculation: Backrow sofa depth = 3-3.5 feet plus 4 feet separation = 7-7.5 feet. So 21 feet and 14 feet placemnet seems ok right ?

Thanks, I will put them in between

sorry for the odd question at wrong place.didnt wanna start a new thread just for this single qustn!!!!....how do i set up my 7.2 sony mateki 5000 ?......its havin two woofer as the 7.2 suggests! so how do i arrange them?!....heard somewhere its better to keep em stacked but thought you guru's here can help me out!.......thanks in advance!.......

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back