Svs pb-1000 sub

Get2Ricky

Finally made up my mind and dropped the idea of investing in cheap sub for under 20K as almost 90% people on here said its not worth and its better to save more for a good sub. So now i have decided to go for SVS PB-1000 (within next 15-20 days) :yahoo: but before i shell out my heard earned money i want experienced guys (especially SVS owners) your reviews, is it worth? Or is there any better option available in market in this same range? Considering my current equipment and the small room size of 12ft by 12ft only.

My current system:
1. Yamaha AVR HTR 3067
2. Yamaha NS-8390 Floor standing speakers (PAIR) - Front Left and Right
3. Yamaha NS-P150 for surrounds and center.

Usage: 80% Movies, 20% Music.
Requirement: Earth shaking, chest thumping, destroying house, making neighbors angry BASS :lol:

And if my decision is right for this sub, please also suggest good subwoofer cable (not too much costly) to use with this beast. Along with Phase, frequency crossover etc settings on the sub to use and the setting of AVR to get the best out of this sub as i have ZERO knowledge about these :sad: , and last but the least, the placement of this sub in my small bedroom where most of the space is covered with my double bed :sad:

Thank you

In this price range SVS is good choice. Better performance than SVS would be expensive. NS-8390 has 8" driver and with Subwoofer it should be enough for your room size.
If your Subwoofer placement is far from AVR, then you should invest on branded cable, otherwise any entry level cable would work (BlueRigger, MX etc.)

I demoed this sub a while back at one of the HT stores here. I am sure our other senior members would give the right opinion on the sub. We were testing this sub with different setups/speaker combinations across movies, music and so. Again our expert members will give the right advice here- I felt the sub wasn't outperforming with music (due to ported design I guess) but it did rip apart in movies so I am pretty sure you have locked in the right one. While you are doing this, it doesnt hurt to try the Velodyne impact 12 too, it is a bit cheaper than the SVS and is a equal performer as far I have experienced.

Hi,

Since you are more into movies, I guess the front ported SVS PB 1000 sub makes better sense. Given your room size, the sub itself will be a hindrance as it is huge. Getting the right place or the"sweet spot" maybe difficult. Apart from its size, the front port would actually make it easier to move the sub around.

Getting a bigger sub or one with rave reviews does not necessarily mean it will shake the house down or get you cops at your door.

I had recently had the chance of auditioning the PB1000 at home and was utterly disappointed. Now do not get discouraged, I have an integrated amp and you have a good AVR with better 'bass management' features normally associated with AVR's.

Also bear in mind that one setting which maybe the best for the 'Avengers" movie may not be suited for a children's movie or as a matter of fact even with different genre's of music.

Getting 2 smaller subs for the price of 1 big sub may surprisingly and hugely enhance the listening pleasure and compensate for bad room acoustics to a considerable extent.

Best way is the trial and error method. i would strongly suggest you get a home demo deal with your guy before you buy it. Get your guy to give you atleast 5 meter long cable(s) with the demo so you can shift the sub around in your room. There are some settings on your AVR which you should keep fiddling with till you get the sweet spot.

Setting the right crossover frequency, volume and phase is very much about the placement of the subwoofer and the setup of the room you are going to use it in. There is no right way' or 'by the book' way of setting it up, but you will have to adjust and listen to different setting to find what is perfect for you.

Make the right connections, keep your AVR manual and sub manual handy. Follow the instructions to start off with, place the sub in different positions, fine tune cross over settings and volume. After you are fully happy and trust your ears, go for it.

Any decent sub woofer cable such as BlueRigger costing about 450 bucks for 8 feet will do. I had auditioned the Dali E12F sub recently, it is a bass reflex with down firing port so placement is more flexible and yes it does meet your "Earth shaking, chest thumping, destroying house, making neighbors angry BASS" requirement. It retails for around 47K in Chennai. How much for the PB1000?

Good Luck and do let us know about your purchase and experience. Till then Cheers.

I demoed this sub a while back at one of the HT stores here. I am sure our other senior members would give the right opinion on the sub. We were testing this sub with different setups/speaker combinations across movies, music and so. Again our expert members will give the right advice here- I felt the sub wasn't outperforming with music (due to ported design I guess) but it did rip apart in movies so I am pretty sure you have locked in the right one. While you are doing this, it doesnt hurt to try the Velodyne impact 12 too, it is a bit cheaper than the SVS and is a equal performer as far I have experienced.
Hi.....I am also in the same situation. I stuck on Polk DSW550/SVS PB1000...whats the price of each one . is velodyne a right choice when compared to SVS /Polk. Room size is 12ft by 17ft. Any other choices within this price range.

In this price range SVS is good choice. Better performance than SVS would be expensive. NS-8390 has 8" driver and with Subwoofer it should be enough for your room size.
If your Subwoofer placement is far from AVR, then you should invest on branded cable, otherwise any entry level cable would work (BlueRigger, MX etc.)

how much would a branded cable cost? (10-15ft)

Hmmm most of the reviews says velodyne stand no chance when compared to SVS :| I havent auditioned any just going from the internet reviews.

Hi,

Since you are more into movies, I guess the front ported SVS PB 1000 sub makes better sense. Given your room size, the sub itself will be a hindrance as it is huge. Getting the right place or the"sweet spot" maybe difficult. Apart from its size, the front port would actually make it easier to move the sub around.

Getting a bigger sub or one with rave reviews does not necessarily mean it will shake the house down or get you cops at your door.

I had recently had the chance of auditioning the PB1000 at home and was utterly disappointed. Now do not get discouraged, I have an integrated amp and you have a good AVR with better 'bass management' features normally associated with AVR's.

Also bear in mind that one setting which maybe the best for the 'Avengers" movie may not be suited for a children's movie or as a matter of fact even with different genre's of music.

Getting 2 smaller subs for the price of 1 big sub may surprisingly and hugely enhance the listening pleasure and compensate for bad room acoustics to a considerable extent.

Best way is the trial and error method. i would strongly suggest you get a home demo deal with your guy before you buy it. Get your guy to give you atleast 5 meter long cable(s) with the demo so you can shift the sub around in your room. There are some settings on your AVR which you should keep fiddling with till you get the sweet spot.

Setting the right crossover frequency, volume and phase is very much about the placement of the subwoofer and the setup of the room you are going to use it in. There is no right way' or 'by the book' way of setting it up, but you will have to adjust and listen to different setting to find what is perfect for you.

Make the right connections, keep your AVR manual and sub manual handy. Follow the instructions to start off with, place the sub in different positions, fine tune cross over settings and volume. After you are fully happy and trust your ears, go for it.

Any decent sub woofer cable such as BlueRigger costing about 450 bucks for 8 feet will do. I had auditioned the Dali E12F sub recently, it is a bass reflex with down firing port so placement is more flexible and yes it does meet your "Earth shaking, chest thumping, destroying house, making neighbors angry BASS" requirement. It retails for around 47K in Chennai. How much for the PB1000?

Good Luck and do let us know about your purchase and experience. Till then Cheers.

Hmmm well after hard bargain i am getting SVS pb-1000 for Rs 40,500/- and no i can't get any demo as the guys gonna import this from ACOUSTIC ARTS if i pay them some advance. So you mean my requirement won't be complete with SVS? :sad:

how much would a branded cable cost? (10-15ft)

Now there are many brands in "Branded Cables". We can talk about 1500 to 30000 RS depending on the brand. But fully agree with prepress, as the distance would increase between the AVR and the sub, better to go in for a better brand offering good shielding.

Terms like "Gold plated / Copper enriched / Oxygen free / titanium core / platinum coated / silver fused / etc., are very debatable and questionable.

Go in for a cable which has good shielding properties.

Now there are many brands in "Branded Cables". We can talk about 1500 to 30000 RS depending on the brand. But fully agree with prepress, as the distance would increase between the AVR and the sub, better to go in for a better brand offering good shielding.

Terms like "Gold plated / Copper enriched / Oxygen free / titanium core / platinum coated / silver fused / etc., are very debatable and questionable.

Go in for a cable which has good shielding properties.

Any link for online buy? Amazon, Flipkart? Under 1K, 2K? :p

Hmmm well after hard bargain i am getting SVS pb-1000 for Rs 40,500/- and no i can't get any demo as the guys gonna import this from ACOUSTIC ARTS if i pay them some advance. So you mean my requirement won't be complete with SVS? :sad:

1. Have you heard the PB 1000 or going by the reviews?
2. Does your dealer have any other brand?
3. If you give him an advance, can you get another sub in case the PB 1000 doesn't suit your ears?

Just options to consider......... 41K is a lot of money, be patient, audition, let your ears decide. Finally it is your call.

1. Have you heard the PB 1000 or going by the reviews?
2. Does your dealer have any other brand?
3. If you give him an advance, can you get another sub in case the PB 1000 doesn't suit your ears?

Just options to consider......... 41K is a lot of money, be patient, audition, let your ears decide. Finally it is your call.

1. Only going with the reviews that i am reading since last 4 months as we dont have any option in our area for a demo.

2. Only got JBL and yamaha here, heard them, didnt like it at all.

3. I don't think so as hes gonna order it just for me :|

^As you have Yamaha speakers too, seems you have purchased these from Melody House. Did you try at Symphony?

Finally made up my mind and dropped the idea of investing in cheap sub for under 20K as almost 90% people on here said its not worth and its better to save more for a good sub.
Have you purchased your sub yet?
Dont rule out the option of DIY. If you are not aware, You can make subwoofers yourself. They are quite easy to make. I am a rookie and I made two subs from pretty much unknown car subwoofer drivers and still my subs are pretty darn good for both HT and music. You can get 2 kickass subs for about 60K using reputed subwoofer drivers like dayton. For about 40 - 45K you can make one.

Last edited:
Hi,

HI Mayank shah,
How did you manage to get a home audition of the SVS PB1000?
Is there a dealer for SVS here in Chennai?
Have you heard the SVS SB2000? IF yes, then how is the midbass (for music) and can they go low and loud and clear?

I got a demo from Volumate / Mylapore. I arranged for pick up and drop for them as my friend had to urgently borrow my car. Very nice of them for their time and effort to come home with the PB1000. I connected it to my NAD's pre-out. I do not know what was wrong but I got a very weak / muddy / subdued sound and that too only if I was right next to it at ground level. It was the same with Wharfedale SPC10. I have not heard the PB2000.

Things were totally different and tremendous when I got a chance to demo the Dali E12F at home. Saving up for it. Got a quote of approx 47K for it. Now thinking of a DIY or 2 small small subs.

I am also looking into the compatibility between a separate sub amplifier and "Hartke" bass enclosures.

Anyone in Chennai care to help me out on a DIY sub(s). I do not have the luxury of hiring a carpenter / painter to build an enclosure, have to buy the plate, driver and enclosure. But not sure if they would work out any cheaper. If I could get 2 x 10" DIY subs around 100 watts RMS each for 45K it would be nice.....Is it possible or wishful thinking?

Last edited:
Have you purchased your sub yet?
Dont rule out the option of DIY. If you are not aware, You can make subwoofers yourself. They are quite easy to make. I am a rookie and I made two subs from pretty much unknown car subwoofer drivers and still my subs are pretty darn good for both HT and music. You can get 2 kickass subs for about 60K using reputed subwoofer drivers like dayton. For about 40 - 45K you can make one.

I have a job, i don't have time tbh :/ My current home theater is only used 1 day a week =]

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back