SVS pb2000 Duals to JBL 4642a wow

Hi Annapl,

What Prateek says is right when you are comparing a big sub with18 inch divers with a single 15 inch sub is an unequal comparision. SVS subs are tuned more for deeper extension rather than midbass. It's good that you have a dedicated media room since most of us would have a choice between a big sub or us to stay in the house. :)
From what I have heard, the job of a swoofer is to produce the low frequencies which your fronts cannot produce. Generally it is the job of the fronts to produce the mid bass. Now if a subwoofer gives midbass then it would be especially useful for people with small bookshelf rather than those having big floorstanders which anyways do the mid bass job.
Using words such as "crap" is truly misleadling & may have impressions on either the product or the person who may not know how to place it. I am not saying that SVS makes the best subs . I am sure there are other companies who offer better products at a better price. But the fact is that they make decent subs with great after sales service. I am not saying this because I too have an SVS sub but the fact is that it does its job very well.
I too prefer trying other brands in general within my budget, be it amps/cd players or speakers & I am not an SVS fan. But I like the build quality of their sub & their after sales service is especially superb. They will never push you to buy an expensive model when a cheaper one will work for your room. In a fair sense lets not put down a decent product so badly without giving it a proper chance.
It may not have worked for few but at the same time it has worked well for some. Apparently the 2000 pro series have been tuned for more mid bass.
Anyways enjoy the JBL as it gives you what you were looking for. Just out of curiosity wanted to know whether the lower part of your screen is getting blocked by the sub.

Regards.
i mostly watch in 2.35:1 aspect ratio so the sub doesn’t block the screen

Don't waste your money in svs pb2000 they lack mid bass not good for music
movies sounds okish im dint measure with rew i trust my ears
but placements never helped they gave only backpain
pb2000 are hyped crap subwoofers don't waste your money
kindly stay away take an audition to believe
i live in interior part of tamilnadu where demo is not possible
i have to depend on reviews i was actually f**** by svs pb2000 reviews
this is my opinion svs owners please dont bang me
sold(thrown away) both of them and bought
these monsters https://jblpro.com/en/products/4642a
sounding beautiful for music thunderous for movies no placements required(cant move(108kgs) actually to test lol lol)
believe me it will shake your entire house
have to work on hiding these subs coz everyone will be afraid looking at these.... My sub hunt ends here....
Yes , With my Audition of SVS PB-2000, It did not impress me much. For me It was more sounded like producing more mid-bass , but not like real deep bass. How ever felt its powerful enough to shake the room. I was expecting a more deep bass , but i did not feel the deep LFE.

Also with the price of SVS PB-2000 , we may look for better Sub i think (also go for Dual subs).

Does jbl have 15" or 12" dual sub models ?

As long as the sub bangs its ok.
Well even made in India products cost more compared to us pricing. Take lg Oled tv for example. Made in India but it costs more then us. Now apple has started assembling in India still they charge more and have not reduced the pricing. Bang Bang
There is difference between “assembled in India” and made in India. Oled and Apple are assembled in India. None of the parts are manufactured here.

I very well know the difference between assembled and made in India. When parts are manufactured in a different country the cost to import should be less. Still apple didn’t slash its price was the point

Yes , With my Audition of SVS PB-2000, It did not impress me much. For me It was more sounded like producing more mid-bass , but not like real deep bass. How ever felt its powerful enough to shake the room. I was expecting a more deep bass , but i did not feel the deep LFE.

Also with the price of SVS PB-2000 , we may look for better Sub i think (also go for Dual subs).

What is deep and mid bass according to you? Cause the complain with many is that the pb2000 goes low and lacks mid bass.

Last edited:
Whoa there!

You are quite adventurous. And it obviously works for you.
However I have a Velodyne 1200 Ultra, much smaller than your JBLs yet, it fills my 400SqFt listening rooms with deep bass at less than 30% of the volume, and for music I don't go more than 20%. So it all boils down to correct placement and proper integration with your main speakers. Not easy in most rooms though. And don't let the Bass drown out the rest of the soundtrack. Cheers!

A good subwoofer in the center of your room would do the job..
I think I simulated the right position for your subwoofer.
And as far as performance is concerned.. not many have the privilege or permission to keep such a huge subwoofer in their room.. even in dedicated home theatres..
However I am doing a home theatre where I'm going to install a pro cinema subwoofer. And I would recommend people using such subwoofers whenever possible.

Svs pb 2000 is a relatively small subwoofer which digs deep.. you cannot compare a pb2000 vs 4642a.. both are very different.
And they way you have posted isn't right as it will surely harm sentiments of others.

Experiencing with half knowledge, setting up the subs with half knowledge or almost no knowledge in your case and then commenting this way will get severe backlash..
This review can be very misleading.

I'm no fan of a particular brand..

Any subwoofer needs good skill to integrate with the speakers. Don't disregard this fact.
Try to integrate the subwoofer first.. and if you aren't satisfied then consider selling and buying a subwoofer with a big pro driver or a very powerful sealed sub.

True on the integration.

Initially, my PB-3000 wasn’t sounding good at all. It was very boomy and lacked any low extension. It felt like a low budget subwoofer, honestly.

Until Prateek came over and calibrated it using REW with my room. The difference was massive. This was just with calibration, in the same position. Now it sounded exciting and exactly what I wished for.

This is a pro cinema sub.. rarely you will find a pro cinema sub with 15" driver and nowhere will you find a pro cinema sub with 12" driver.
There's a smaller model with single 18" subwoofer driver.

I have used bic pl-200-ii and it’s a decent performer. But it is poorly priced IMO. For example the Mrp of xtz is 70-80% of its selling price in Sweden. Before the September price hikes xtz cost was much less. Rythmik also similarly priced. So with discounts you get it for 50-60% of its actual cost.But BIC is priced 100-110% of its selling price in US. Same with svs as well 110-120%. Both are actually worse in pricing. So none of these subwoofers can be called value for money IMO. Paying 40-50% of its actual cost for shipping, import duties and covering dealer profit is ok for me but 100% is outrageous.
Instead of comparing the prices..
We should rather compare performance to price in India.. will make things more easier. :)

Instead of comparing the prices..
We should rather compare performance to price in India.. will make things more easier. :)
Comparing prices is always good. We get to know what bracket the sub falls. What is of no use is wanting it for the same price. Some brands with discounts do come in good prices. But yeah I get your point. My case I find it satisfying. For example my sub 12.17 costed 19k more then Sweden price and I am happy with it.

I very well know the difference between assembled and made in India. When parts are manufactured in a different country the cost to import should be less. Still apple didn’t slash its price was the point
I think the prices in Apple store India aren’t too high compared to most European Apple store. Only in US they have lower or the “right prices”.

Just my opinion after spending around more than 150hrs to calibrate my three subs (dual PB 2000s and single Rythmik FV15HP). Without proper equipment, knowledge, placement and patience I strongly believe that no sub will work perfectly in any environment. Before I go any further, would like to know what frequencies anyone consider 'MIDBASS'. Experience a proper setup room and then come to an openion. I am proud to say that my room is one of the best calibrated HT available on this forum. Anyone can audition I live in a tier three city Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh.

I am proud to say that my room is one of the best calibrated HT available on this forum. Anyone can audition I live in a tier three city Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh.
Great. It would be very helpful if u start a thread with all the details. Room layout, dimensions, treatment done, gears used and also pics of the room and gears. Also if u have room measurements that will be great as well. Well u can keep the title as “One of the best calibrated HT” It’s very true that unless you hear in the best calibrated system you will never know. Take me for example I once believed Philips 5.1 was the best and had no idea of set ups like Denon, marantz, Dali etc existed. Please refer my below thread which is a basic setup compared to yours but a thread like this by you will be helpful for people who are looking out for setting up the best calibrated system like how my thread may help few who are in my situation interms of room and budget constraints

I am proud to say that my room is one of the best calibrated HT available on this forum.
Glad for you. It would help members if you could explain how was the calibration done.
Anyone can audition I live in a tier three city Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh.
Interesting! Lived there for almost two years and used to wonder if anyone there even has a good stereo set up.

Glad for you. It would help members if you could explain how was the calibration done.

Interesting! Lived there for almost two years and used to wonder if anyone there even has a good stereo set up.
I thought about it but my laziness is preventing me, anyways, shortly I will start a new thread about REW and minidsp.

When did you live here, It's a backward area and very hard to educate people.

Great. It would be very helpful if u start a thread with all the details. Room layout, dimensions, treatment done, gears used and also pics of the room and gears. Also if u have room measurements that will be great as well. Well u can keep the title as “One of the best calibrated HT” It’s very true that unless you hear in the best calibrated system you will never know. Take me for example I once believed Philips 5.1 was the best and had no idea of set ups like Denon, marantz, Dali etc existed. Please refer my below thread which is a basic setup compared to yours but a thread like this by you will be helpful for people who are looking out for setting up the best calibrated system like how my thread may help few who are in my situation interms of room and budget constraints

I will definitely start a new thread.

Hi Annapl,

What Prateek says is right when you are comparing a big sub with18 inch divers with a single 15 inch sub is an unequal comparision. SVS subs are tuned more for deeper extension rather than midbass. It's good that you have a dedicated media room since most of us would have a choice between a big sub or us to stay in the house. :)
Apologising for mistyping 15-inch driver of the PB2000 instead of 12 inches.

It would be great if experienced & knowledgeable FM's can help others who are not technically sound off course by taking precautions keeping the covid situation in mind. It may bring about a proper perspective & understanding of the product, room & calibration aspects.

Use crown DSi for such applications..
XLS has no on board dsp ( by this I mean it just has a crossover, DSi series has 10 band parametric EQ) @ssf

Yes it has. Like I mentioned above. Unless I misunderstood the requirement.
So the Dsi combined with this bass bin, has all the power and control like the expensive consumer subwoofers. Twin woofers working in tandem o produce high SPL, is that the reason for the high sensitivity? Is there a constraint in terms of minimum room size? I am apprehensive it will be too much of a good thing in a 14 x 15 room. Can this play well at low listening levels, sometimes a system optimised for high SPLs might struggle to get out of first gear at low listening levels.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back