SVS Subwoofer Owners Thread

I got my PB12 with 5 years warranty in India itself last month. The performance of the PB12 is 90% close to the PB2000 except the 100watts extra on the PB2k. Steller performance overall and hits very deep, Recently I have added the SVS sound path isolation to make it even better. As I expected the low notes have become much tighter and deeper as soon as I installed it. I suggest all the SVS sub owners to try it out.

The isolation pads look so solid in hand and rubber feet are specially made for giant subs like svs...

I came to know about SVS through one of my friend ,I have a pb2000 it's a beast & digs low enough.Mine is always movies & this sub does a fantastic job,no matter whatever you throw at it,it hits back with ease.All I can say it sounds more good with passage of time,if you don't have a problem with its big footprint then don't hesitate jus buy it & you would be more than happy for choosing it along with a very good customer support backup + 5 yrs warranty

Joined SVS owners club with PB 1000 being delivered being replacing my Velo Impact 10 (soon will put it up for sale). Was debating between PB1000 and SB2000 for a while. My initial impressions - underwhelmed.. goes deep but lacks punch.. I incidentally got a home demo for MK V10..(sealed sub), which was significantly better..and much tighter (with the punch)... Perhaps SB2000 may have been better...

Have others had the same experience.

Joined SVS owners club with PB 1000 being delivered being replacing my Velo Impact 10 (soon will put it up for sale). Was debating between PB1000 and SB2000 for a while. My initial impressions - underwhelmed.. goes deep but lacks punch.. I incidentally got a home demo for MK V10..(sealed sub), which was significantly better..and much tighter (with the punch)... Perhaps SB2000 may have been better...

Bass will be more tight in sealed subs so can’t compare head on

There is no punch virtually..for movies...
Then it must be a problem with settings and placement. One of my friend got it yesterday day and says it’s very good for movies. He shared a video and when I heard it in headphones itself I was able to hear the punch. Only the midbass should be weak.check your crossover settings, sub volume, distance nd placement.

There is no punch virtually..for movies...
The sub volume on the sub should be around 70 to 80%. That's when the amp wakes up. You may reduce the gain in the av receiver to your desired output. Another expert tip I gathered was, in the tone settings in the AVR, the sub volume must be below -5.0 db for the safety of the sub. Hence, its ideal to turn the physical volume knob on sub to near 80%. Also, play around with the phase settings on the sub.

I too felt disappointed when the sub arrived, but its way better now after these settings.

The sub volume on the sub should be around 70 to 80%. That's when the amp wakes up. You may reduce the gain in the av receiver to your desired output. Another expert tip I gathered was, in the tone settings in the AVR, the sub volume must be below -5.0 db for the safety of the sub. Hence, its ideal to turn the physical volume knob on sub to near 80%. Also, play around with the phase settings on the sub.

I too felt disappointed when the sub arrived, but its way better now after these settings.

Thanks... Anand.. By turning the sub volume to 70% performance has improved. Have to turn the AVR setting at -5db as you suggested. Will check this out.

Thanks... Anand.. By turning the sub volume to 70% performance has improved. Have to turn the AVR setting at -5db as you suggested. Will check this out.

Run Audyssey or whichever auto setup you have in your receiver. Run it repeatedly till you get to absolute minimum gain for the Sub in the receiver. You would be increasing the Sub volume in steps at each auto setup run. I managed to get my Audyssey to -ve10.5 with the volume on PB1000 at 2'oclock position.

MaSh

Why such high volumes on the Sub? Audyssey detected Sub at -6.5db and I keep the Sub volume at 9-10 o clock position.

My SR6013 wouldnt even let me run Audyssey otherwise; saying that Sub is too loud.

I had mentioned in some other thread that svs pb/sb 1000/2000 (heard back to back in same demo room) lacks midbass/punch.They are focused on lowend more than midbass punch.

The drawback on keeping the levels less on the AVR and more on the Sub amp is that if the sub is kept on auto on / off mode.......the LFE signal which has to come to the sub will be weak.......when you try to hear music or movies in overall low volume levels, the LFE signal fails....then you need to pump up overall volume to get LFE flowing to the sub.......this is what I have seen faced by many and myself...

My sub is at 9 o clock position, LFE level from AVR is -0.5db.......

The drawback on keeping the levels less on the AVR and more on the Sub amp is that if the sub is kept on auto on / off mode.......the LFE signal which has to come to the sub will be weak.......when you try to hear music or movies in overall low volume levels, the LFE signal fails....then you need to pump up overall volume to get LFE flowing to the sub.......this is what I have seen faced by many and myself...

My sub is at 9 o clock position, LFE level from AVR is -0.5db.......

Exactly, however, the SVS subs are inherently very very sensitive to incoming signal unlike many many other Subs. So SVS will not have issues with waking up even at low volumes. That said, if one is listening to extremely low whispering volumes, then Sub is anyways not in play.

I never had issues with my SVS either going to sleep or not waking up even with -ve10.5 or -ve11.0 levels.
But then what would be the point, it would stick the Sub with a -12dB level. Which is useless..

As mentioned in my post, you need to repeatedly run Audyssey till you reach the lowest gain possible, but not -ve12.0. If you can make it to -ve11.5, you are golden.

All subs are different and we need to find their sweet spot. SVS subs thrive when driven Hard by their own amp. High gain on the receiver and low volume on Sub works, but nowhere as good as low gain on the receiver and High volume on Sub. Try it out, experiment and see what works for you.

MaSh

And where does the phase control fit into all this? Keep it at zero or adjust it?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back