Swan vs Behringer vs Thonet and Vander: which one?

Just realized I didn't write much about one of my #1 picks the 305

Be aware they have a slight hiss noticeable when not playing anything but its fine with music at anything other than the lowest of volumes. Google JBL 305 hiss if you need more info. It is well documented.

There are no RCA inputs. Only TRS and XLR balanced. So unless you use an audio interface or a DAC with balanced XLR you will need a TRS to RCA converter. I recommend something like the Scarelett interface so you do direct XLR-XLR if you choose to go 305.

Volume control is on the back but power switch is on the front. In case you use the speaker volume control with speakers on/near your desk its not convenient to reach behind every time.

It reaches down to 43Hz so unless you listen to hip hop or something with huge bass lines you may not need a sub

No grills on the drivers. Important if you have kids or pets roaming around near the speakers ;). The tweeters especially feel quite soft and delicate

They are rear ported for the bass so use acoustic foam treatment or the cheapo sock if you cant keep them off the walls

See this audio demo to see the 305 compared to some KRKs and Yamahas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oFwIyxSKjY

Important note: When reading up on monitors on the internet be VERY careful to see the context of the discussion. Mostly the focus is on how neutral and uncoloured they are. The goal with most monitors is NOT to make music sound the most appealing and pleasant and fun to listen to but to be "true" and be the most suitable to create a good mix when producing a music track. So the "best" monitor most often doesn't mean the most fun or most musical monitor.

@vineetrad, can't thank you enough. Yes as after yesterday's discussion i started looking for 'Musical' speakers. I don't know how musical 305's will be since they've very crisp High's and Mid's also how it'll be for prolonged fatigue free listening. I've understood that im not looking for Studio monitors but for musical speakers but with minimum colouring. I'm trying to increase my budget for Actimate mini+ failing which Rokit5 seems the option if 305's not considered. I've also read that till 50K no import/cutoms if you handcarry speakers. Is it true? Because for the price of Actimate one can get Vanatoo T1 fom US. Then there're Swan H5 too but very few/no reviews. Swan's are most aptly priced spekaers in India. Also 305's available for 28.5K on ebay global easy buy.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Get the Swans M200, paired with Schiit they should sound wonderful. Since you will be keeping them on the desk using the speaker's native volume control should not be an issue.
How big is your room? I have them in my bedroom, the size is 10 x 11, sound very nice, they do.

M200 is a very high end speakers..
You can read the review on 6moons !

Yes they're. The biggest problem is getting an audition. One can get audition for Elac Jamo Tanoy Actimate Dali and Q Aquatics here in Bangalore and may be some more brands but nit for Swan Rokit etc.

Perhaps you can ask one of the FMs from Bangalore who have Swans if you ca audition them at their home. Either way I strongly suggest buying speakers you have been able to audition first. What sound you like is very personal and specific. Let your own ears decide :)

Ok so I took the plunge. I bought a KRK Rockit5G3. Today afternoon went to SoundGlitz and auditioned it against Presonus Eris E5 and Yamaha HS5. I'll write about it in details in the next post. Please help me fixing thebloud static noise whenever I'm plugging it to the laptop 3.5mm jack :( with mobile its playing fine.

Last edited:
Ok so I took the plunge. I bought a KRK Rockit5G3. Today afternoon went to SoundGlitz and auditioned it against Presonus Eris E5 and Yamaha HS5. I'll write about it in details in the next post. Please help me fixing thebloud static noise whenever I'm plugging it to the laptop 3.5mm jack :( with mobile its playing fine.

Congrats on your purchase. Do writeup up your comparison of the monitors that you tried out.

For the noise - not sure if you mean a hum. If so check this out:
How to find and fix hum in 3 easy steps | PS Audio

Congrats on your purchase. Do writeup up your comparison of the monitors that you tried out.

For the noise - not sure if you mean a hum. If so check this out:
How to find and fix hum in 3 easy steps | PS Audio

@vineetrad, Thanks for the above link. It's not hum, it's the irritating static which comes when you plug in a 3.5 mm jack in to input and the speakers amplifies it tenfold. I have figured it out though. My multi plug spike is not very good quality and also installing many plugs on the same ground connection brings this type of noise. So whenever I'm running the laptop on battery(unplugging the power chord) the noise is reducing to hum still less irritating. Also the laptop plug is US type 3 pin(1 round and 2 flat). The Speaker power outlets are rated for 220-240V and it's two pin the 3rd pin being removed and covered with a metal plate from factory.
I believe once I receive my DAC, won't face this issue at all. AM I right?

I've already got the Rockits :)
Now waiting for the D1 dacs to arrive this weekend. Not able to play from laptop due to the annoying sound. Changed the spike buster to an APC spike but it's same. Also read somewhere if you use those 8-10 point spike busters they tend to produce more sound. So picked up APC 4 point one but it didn't help.

arnabroy, have you got the DAC?

I bought a Swans M200mkIII and have thoroughly enjoyed the music so far. However, the source is my laptop, and the sound could considerably be improved in my view .

I want to add a DAC, but am unable to decide. There are budget constraints.

Recently came to know Sony has introduced two Hi-Res Walkmans --A17 High-Resolution Walkman is one of these. These have on-board DACs. How does the idea of using these as DACs sound? Any suggestions from our knowledgeable dudes here ?

With all that said I will recommend powered speakers available in India in the following order:

1. Aktimate Mini+ and JBL 305
2. KRK Rokits
3. Audio Engine A5
4. Swan M200MKIII
5. Behringer Speaker MS40
6. Thonet and Vander Krbis

Notes:
Vanatoo T1 is not available in India. But if ranked it would be at no 1.
I personally would stop at options 1-3 only. 4 is ok. 5 and 6 I would not buy

What about Swan M200MKII.?

What about Swan M200MKII.?
Swan gives more colored sound which may be pleasant to average consumer ears but won't satisfy an audiophile or studio recording artist. Swan is good, Value for money. The best way would be audition in person and decide.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

DrKrack,

Does ali express charge import duties though it says shipping free on it's, say SMSL Q5 Pro?
While ordering message the seller to mark it as gift and show the price under 25$. Rest is your luck. Most of the cases you don't have to pay any customs unless you're too unlucky.

arnabroy, have you got the DAC?

I bought a Swans M200mkIII and have thoroughly enjoyed the music so far. However, the source is my laptop, and the sound could considerably be improved in my view .

I want to add a DAC, but am unable to decide. There are budget constraints.

Recently came to know Sony has introduced two Hi-Res Walkmans --A17 High-Resolution Walkman is one of these. These have on-board DACs. How does the idea of using these as DACs sound? Any suggestions from our knowledgeable dudes here ?
@Gauravdp, yes I'm using the Audio engine D1 with my laptoo for quite a while now and fully satisfied. I was initially planning for Schitt stack which would be double of Audioengine but more inputs and flexible and little better output. If you have the budget get Schitt stack else D1 also is a capable DAC if you're on a lesser budget. And I bet you won't even come to know the difference between these two unless you're a high end audiophile or studio artist. I'm very happy with D1.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back