switching speakers

jackteet

Hi, As will be apparent from my questions I know absolutely nothing about hifi but am anxious to learn. I have a Samsung UE D5000 hdtv and of course the internal speakers are awful.
I want to start with a pair of 2.0 speakers; possibly Roth Audio or Denon at a modest budget of about 100. My tv has digital optical audio so I shall get a pair of reasonable quality cables. I want to turn off the tv`s internal speakers and switch to "external speakers".
I have read countless articles on google saying that I shall need an amp or receiver to power the speakers. If this is correct can this be achieved by getting a modest 2.1 system or will the tv itself "power" the external speakers.Thanks jack.

Welcome to HFV Jack!

Please get yourself a pair of "active speakers". Google the term "Active speaker" or "Active monitors" to learn more about them. In brief, those are speakers with built-in amplifier.

Not sure if they are available in your country, but if they are, buy a pair of Swan D1080 speakers. They should come under your budget and have a nice sound.

Welcome to HFV Jackteet,
The TV will not be able to power the External speakers; you will need an external device.
If you plan to use the Optical out of your TV, ensure that your external device is capable of taking an Optical In connection. This means that the external device is converting the Digital sound signal to an Analogue signal (DAC) and also amplifying the sound. The alternate is to use the Analogue outs of the TV (Red and White connections) and just do the amplification externally.
The options are:
a) Active speakers as Ranjitrain has recommended- Check Optical In availability and also how two speakers can be connected to a single optical source
b) A Soundbar for TV This is a device specifically made for connecting to a TV to enhance the sound. Depending on your budget it has options of Woofers, Virtual surround etc.
c) HTIB (home Theater in a box) This is a better option compared to a sound bar as the individual speakers can be placed around the room in a true surround fashion. Will need wiring and room space.
d) An external Stereo Amplifier powering two speakers. You will also need an External DAC if you plan to use the Optical out. The External DAC makes sense only if you want to better the DAC circuitry used in the TV. Also if you plan to listen to Music from other sources apart from TV.
e) An External Receiver (AVR). This could be your solution if you plan to build a Home Theater in the long term. An AVR has a built in DAC and also has the option to connect 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system. You can start with 2 speakers connected to AVR initially

The options are numerous You will have to freeze your budget, requirements and decide. Options (a) and (b) can be explored for a 100 budget.
Option (c) Minimum 200
Option (d) and (e) - Minimum 400

Apart from digital out, does your tv has headphone or monitor audio output? If it so then you may need either simple stereo amplifier + bookshelf speakers or pair of active speakers as suggested by fellow FMs.

I am too running tv speakers with models bookshelf speakers and DIY amp. You can look at TP20 amps on amazon or ebay. For speakers take audition of your likings. Here is my simple tv audio setup.

Hi Guys, Thank you for the warm welcome and thank you all so much for taking the time and trouble to provide me with so much detailed info.I have "googled"
much of what you have refered to and I think I am at last getting my old head round the basics.
I am thinking that another option for me might be a 2.1 budget system such as the Microlabs with two speakers and a sub. Presumably the sub will give the amplification that is needed to power the speakers. I don`t really want booming bass but turned onto minimum it may be o.k. I am slightly deaf in one ear so clear and crisp speach is more important to me rather than bass.
Perhaps an ear trumpet connected to an amp is the answer !!!!!!
May I ask what you chaps think of a 2.1 system idea please. Thank once again. Jack.

A 2.1 system is a good option. If possible listen to the sysytem before buying. The Microlab connects through a 3.4 mm stereo jack and not through Optical - this is fine.

Hi Jagdish P, thanks for the info. One thing I can`t get my head round is how to control the volume from my tv remote control. If I get a 2.0 system I assume I connect the two speakers to the amp and from the amp to the tv. The amp has volume, bass and treble controls. A 2.1 system presumably connects to the tv. It also has a remote control. My tv has an "external speakers" facility but does that automatically allow the volume to be . controlled by the tv remote. Sorry for what I am sure is a stupid question. Thanks jack.

Hi Jagdish P, thanks for the info. One thing I can`t get my head round is how to control the volume from my tv remote control. If I get a 2.0 system I assume I connect the two speakers to the amp and from the amp to the tv. The amp has volume, bass and treble controls. A 2.1 system presumably connects to the tv. It also has a remote control. My tv has an "external speakers" facility but does that automatically allow the volume to be . controlled by the tv remote. Sorry for what I am sure is a stupid question. Thanks jack.

From my experience, headphone out of tv has volume control from TV. But same time analog monitor or digital out is direct full volume. In later case you need to control volume from source or amplifier. So you can keep TV volume at zero level and by either way - source or amp. This is what I do currently.

Normally TVs will have option to set Headphone Volume under sound settings.
In addition my TV has an additional setting under Volume control which allows me to select either Audio out or TV or both.

I am only guessing that the above settings will work. Never tried personally.

wanted good surround speakers

hello friends.
please help me in deciding good surround speakers for my Onkyo 506. i want 8 ohms speakers. current setup is as follows:
FS- Bose Acousticmass 5
CS- Elac cc 51.2
SS- Onkyo skm 230S
SW- Bose acoustic mass(passive) and Telome(Active)
Thanks

Hi Guys,
Thank you all so much for the help and advice. I think the easiest option for me is to get a couple of passive speakers with a mini amp. I have found a Pyle home PCAU 33 on Amazon. This particular model has an USB connection; as indeed does my flat panel tv. Would I be right in thinking that an amp with usb connectivity will give a better sound than connecting the apm to the headphone socket on my tv.Thanks.

you will also need an External DAC if you plan to use the Optical out.
a12.jpg
k2.jpg

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back