System with Altec 604-8G drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Altec 604 8G drivers....Rocking Now..!!!

Manavji, it was a pleasure after a long, long time meeting up. Thanx for your patience and kindness despite our being delayed (as is this post vis-a-vis Saturday). I know you would have had a earful when you eventually reached CyberHub for your dinner date.

One of the magic words that clinched my wanting to make it was these were Kanwarji's o/p. I normally would not let up an opportunity like this, though it was a working day for me, traffic from Delhi to Gurgaon being what it is at that time notwithstanding.

Yes, the Altecs, interesting looking and designed drivers (purely in the looks deptt.).

But I guess we did get a good 45-60 minutes with them.

I agree with Kamalji's observation, the speakers certainly sound very smooth but need more breaking-in. That said, they will eventually shine.

Being one for airy highs (prejudiced, possibly owing to the ESLs) and deep-kicking lows (prejudiced, possibly owing to Kanwarji's Avepa), the NOS/mint condition of the drivers may have caused a slight roll-off on both ends. But the midrange was nice, smooth, detailed and effortless.

The CDs we carried (and played) were as follows:-

1. Kalpana Zokarkar - Hidden Gems, Mystica Music

The first song tells me all I need to know in most systems.

On the Altecs, her excellent voice shone through. The tabla too.

However, I missed some depth with the rest of the presentation.

2. Sarah McLachlan - Rarities, B-Sides and Other Stuff Volume 2

Again, the first song, the sheer presence and warmth that a good system can demonstrate, is all one needs for a confirmatory. This came through.

3. Jagjit Singh & Chitra Singh - The Unforgettables, SaReGaMa/RPG

I look for the rasp and grainy quality in Jagjitji's 'Baat niklegi to door talak'. I also look at how smooth Chitraji's 'Raat bhi neend bhi, kahani bhi' sounds vis-a-vis shrill/hurtful.

These were win-win!

4. Maxim - The Piano Player, EMI/Virgin

Flight of the bumble bee and Exodus allows a check on dynamic range and harmonics for more current generation music interpretations, albeit on classics.

These handled his music very well.

The speakers are ATLs with active XO, Class AD built in amplification with the 15" Altec co-ax drivers. The cabinets are teak, built solidly (I have always loved Kanwarji's Nawashahar cabinet-work team). I would have given even more numbers if the front was a single baffle/block/plank; brings out the rich grain. The vote's out on whether to polish (glossy/matte) or not, but to each his own. The detailing was also interesting, other than the rounding-off of the sides and pointy-edges. The driver also seemed to have Kanwarji's signature touch-ups (pl. correct me if not), for longevity, etc. I would have liked to understand more on the speaker legs/footers, but could not. If these are adjustable and allow for some vibration management, would be great. Also, since these would be heavy. These are bottom firing, with obviously ample cubic capacity to allow the Altecs to sing and dig-deep. On first impressions, it was Phil Collins and since there were two seats in the room, I was standing; the speakers disappeared, leaving a deep and broad sound-stage instead! This was in-spite of the room being of modest dimensions (12x10) for a driver implementation of this size (there are foam bass-traps in the rear corners).

After 'Resurrection', this would be a delight. But, I would suggest you wait for a month and then decide. The highs should be better on the Resurrection whereas LF should in the Altecs (though maybe not as fast).

Tapanji, Panditji, Harry and Kartick, nice meeting up!

Looking forward to a vinyl session by the time the drivers open-out and settle in. Manav has a museum of it (sheer number and choice)! Along with chilled beer, icing :rolleyes:!!!

Ashok ji,
Thank you for your kind words. And yes, one of the most mesmerising aspects of the pair is that they completely disappear! one is no longer listening to the speakers or the "chain" or a component!

of course every component in the chain is contributing to the overall effect, however, its is the speakers that are doing the disappearing act, despite their huge proportions!

And yes, the weekend after the next one I will plan out a session for you, kamal ji, vinay arora, sid. will keep it limited as the room is small.

all other FMs will be invited on a weekend after that one!

Listening to Sarah Maclachlan's rarities vol 2. She is incredible! The tweeters are smoothening out now that they have crossed the 80hour mark!

Me thinks, me can live with this set up for a long long time!

Great to see you're so happy.
Must say Kanwar has done a great job in designing and fabricating speakers for you which will keep you in bliss.
You've auditioned such a lot of gear and now it appears that your quest is at an end.:clapping:

At a 110+ hours, the HF is more extended. The voices are sounding waaaay smoother! The LF too is more extended now. Was listening to Esperanza Spalding just a while back and WOW!

Hopefully by the next weekend, the burn-in will be complete.

Altec 604 8G drivers....Rocking Now..!!!

The altec's are extremely revealing, and with burn in that is becoming more and more evident. I have been burning in using the wyred4sound dac 2 preamp section as I don't want to punish the accuphase.

The wyred preamp section is super good and can hold its ground against preamps upto 1l. But no more. The accuphase pre section is FANTASTIC!

I really need to be very careful if what kind if preamp I will get. These speakers don't sweeten the weak links in the chain. . .

Last edited:

In another thread I was telling FM Manojp about how this altec implementation shines! In the regular implementation where the speaker are run in passive crossovers and flea powered valve amps, the altec's sound sweet. They do certain genres of music very well. but, I never would have been able to live with speakers that could do only small jazz bands well.

I need speakers that can do blues, rock, big band jazz, western classical, indian classical & vocals, EDM when I am in the mood!

And with this implementation I get it all! This implementation takes all the strong points of the altec and overcomes the failings beautifully.

Re: Active Altec 604 8G drivers....Rocking Now..!!!

Ranjeetrain,

Bro, i am awaiting your views on the Manav's system, i hope in this weekend you will get the time to do so. Would also like to know about your views on comparison of different systems using Altecs, for example THIS ONE which you have already heard.

Re: Active Altec 604 8G drivers....Rocking Now..!!!

Nice shootup... :p Also would like to have an comparo on the cost/commerical wise breakup too for both the systems and also details on implementation

Looking forward to see the review.:eek:hyeah:

Ranjeetrain,
Bro, i am awaiting your views on the Manav's system, i hope in this weekend you will get the time to do so. Would also like to know about your views on comparison of different systems using Altecs, for example THIS ONE which you have already heard.

Re: Active System with Altec 604-8G drivers ||Rocking Now||

Ranjeetrain, this is a GREAT idea. Will set up a meet for the coming weekend! How does saturday sound to you?

Manav, congratulations buddy!

for those who are not fortunate enough to make it to Delhi, could you post a youtube video, would help us get a 1% hint of sound :)

I wish I could join, not only for the speakers I'd like to hear, but the people I'd like to meet too :)

Come anytime Thad! Anytime.

Thanks Jensen. Will post a vid in a week....

I am watching this thread closely..Please post the video with members listening to it..
even I am dying to see and meet the members who are in such heavenly audio revelation..thanks to all who are making such an effort to bless india with thoughtful audiophile journey..
may be its against the forum rules to display pics with people...so sticking to the rules..only video of sound system will do..
cheers
dheeraj

Last edited:

Hi,

I have been burning in using the wyred4sound dac 2 preamp section as I don't want to punish the accuphase.

What do you mean by "punish the Accuphase"?

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

What do you mean by "punish the Accuphase"?

Regards
Rajiv

What I mean by that is that I don't want to keep the Accuphase running all night for a 12 hour run everyday... simply that!

Btw, have clocked over 160 hours as of this morning.... over 90 hours in the last 7 days alone!

manav bhaiya,

kaam pe jaate ho ki nahin ?? :lol:

mpw

Manav,

Do you have to burn-in these drivers so much? I mean, they are not brand new and are probably already mechanically broken-in.

Manav,

Do you have to burn-in these drivers so much? I mean, they are not brand new and are probably already mechanically broken-in.

dude, these are never played NOS drivers!!

Hi,

dude, these are never played NOS drivers!!

I thought you got these drivers from a FM who was using them. If they are NOS and have been in storage are the Alnico magnets fully charged?

According to some they lose strength just by sitting around.

Regards
Rajiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back