System with Altec 604-8G drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Altec 604 8G drivers....Rocking Now..!!!

I have a hybrid of synergy horn + dual flare implementation just like in coaxial driver in my mind, need to exploit it more. :D

Hey Manav,

What is the size of your listening room ? In feet..

Thanks,
Square..

Manavji, it was a pleasure after a long, long time meeting up. Thanx for your patience and kindness despite our being delayed (as is this post vis-a-vis Saturday). I know you would have had a earful when you eventually reached CyberHub for your dinner date.

One of the magic words that clinched my wanting to make it was these were Kanwarji's o/p. I normally would not let up an opportunity like this, though it was a working day for me, traffic from Delhi to Gurgaon being what it is at that time notwithstanding.

Yes, the Altecs, interesting looking and designed drivers (purely in the looks deptt.).

But I guess we did get a good 45-60 minutes with them.

I agree with Kamalji's observation, the speakers certainly sound very smooth but need more breaking-in. That said, they will eventually shine.

Being one for airy highs (prejudiced, possibly owing to the ESLs) and deep-kicking lows (prejudiced, possibly owing to Kanwarji's Avepa), the NOS/mint condition of the drivers may have caused a slight roll-off on both ends. But the midrange was nice, smooth, detailed and effortless.

The CDs we carried (and played) were as follows:-

1. Kalpana Zokarkar - Hidden Gems, Mystica Music

The first song tells me all I need to know in most systems.

On the Altecs, her excellent voice shone through. The tabla too.

However, I missed some depth with the rest of the presentation.

2. Sarah McLachlan - Rarities, B-Sides and Other Stuff Volume 2

Again, the first song, the sheer presence and warmth that a good system can demonstrate, is all one needs for a confirmatory. This came through.

3. Jagjit Singh & Chitra Singh - The Unforgettables, SaReGaMa/RPG

I look for the rasp and grainy quality in Jagjitji's 'Baat niklegi to door talak'. I also look at how smooth Chitraji's 'Raat bhi neend bhi, kahani bhi' sounds vis-a-vis shrill/hurtful.

These were win-win!

4. Maxim - The Piano Player, EMI/Virgin

Flight of the bumble bee and Exodus allows a check on dynamic range and harmonics for more current generation music interpretations, albeit on classics.

These handled his music very well.

The speakers are ATLs with active XO, Class AD built in amplification with the 15" Altec co-ax drivers. The cabinets are teak, built solidly (I have always loved Kanwarji's Nawashahar cabinet-work team). I would have given even more numbers if the front was a single baffle/block/plank; brings out the rich grain. The vote's out on whether to polish (glossy/matte) or not, but to each his own. The detailing was also interesting, other than the rounding-off of the sides and pointy-edges. The driver also seemed to have Kanwarji's signature touch-ups (pl. correct me if not), for longevity, etc. I would have liked to understand more on the speaker legs/footers, but could not. If these are adjustable and allow for some vibration management, would be great. Also, since these would be heavy. These are bottom firing, with obviously ample cubic capacity to allow the Altecs to sing and dig-deep. On first impressions, it was Phil Collins and since there were two seats in the room, I was standing; the speakers disappeared, leaving a deep and broad sound-stage instead! This was in-spite of the room being of modest dimensions (12x10) for a driver implementation of this size (there are foam bass-traps in the rear corners).

After 'Resurrection', this would be a delight. But, I would suggest you wait for a month and then decide. The highs should be better on the Resurrection whereas LF should in the Altecs (though maybe not as fast).

Tapanji, Panditji, Harry and Kartick, nice meeting up!

Looking forward to a vinyl session by the time the drivers open-out and settle in. Manav has a museum of it (sheer number and choice)! Along with chilled beer, icing :rolleyes:!!!

One of the magic words that clinched my wanting to make it was these were Kanwarji's o/p. I normally would not let up an opportunity like this, though it was a working day for me, traffic from Delhi to Gurgaon being what it is at that time notwithstanding.

Thank You Ashok Ji....:)

Yes, the Altecs, interesting looking and designed drivers (purely in the looks deptt.).

I agree with Kamalji's observation, the speakers certainly sound very smooth but need more breaking-in. That said, they will eventually shine.

Being one for airy highs (prejudiced, possibly owing to the ESLs) and deep-kicking lows (prejudiced, possibly owing to Kanwarji's Avepa), the NOS/mint condition of the drivers may have caused a slight roll-off on both ends. But the midrange was nice, smooth, detailed and effortless.

The speakers are ATLs with active XO, Class AD built in amplification with the 15" Altec co-ax drivers. The cabinets are teak, built solidly (I have always loved Kanwarji's Nawashahar cabinet-work team). I would have given even more numbers if the front was a single baffle/block/plank; brings out the rich grain. The vote's out on whether to polish (glossy/matte) or not, but to each his own. The detailing was also interesting, other than the rounding-off of the sides and pointy-edges. The driver also seemed to have Kanwarji's signature touch-ups (pl. correct me if not), for longevity, etc. I would have liked to understand more on the speaker legs/footers, but could not. If these are adjustable and allow for some vibration management, would be great. Also, since these would be heavy.

The reason for not using large plank was due to the fact that large plank in such a large baffle adds up to cabinet resonance around 2250Hz, in case of single teak plank. Therefore i decided to go with STACKED configuration of small batons of teak in variation of grain orientation both for mechanical as well as aesthetic purposes. Stacking multiple batons results in cancellation of acoustic resonance of the cabinet. I actually like the asymmetric pattern formed by variation of stacked batons.

The footers are solid steel adjustable type with 'Ball' based isolating dampers with results similar to spikes.

Regards,
Kanwar

Thank You Ashok Ji....:)

The reason for not using large plank was due to the fact that large plank in such a large baffle adds up to cabinet resonance around 2250Hz, in case of single teak plank. Therefore i decided to go with STACKED configuration of small batons of teak in variation of grain orientation both for mechanical as well as aesthetic purposes. Stacking multiple batons results in cancellation of acoustic resonance of the cabinet. I actually like the asymmetric pattern formed by variation of stacked batons.

The footers are solid steel adjustable type with 'Ball' based isolating dampers with results similar to spikes.

Regards,
Kanwar
Interesting. Any reason for this over the usual absorption material method?

Interesting. Any reason for this over the usual absorption material method?

Absorption material is already used in it to absorb excessive internal baffle reflections and ripple effect. You cannot tame the inherent resonance in solid wooden plank triggered around midrange domain. For that the baffle needs to be designed that way, which i have done. Multiple resonances occurring in separate batons with asymmetric orientation actually leads to cancellation to a very large extent. You are left with dead cabinet in that way.;)

going this direction, it wud not b long b4 when u'd need an anechoic chamber for final testing and tuning. any thoughts on this?

going this direction, it wud not b long b4 when u'd need an anechoic chamber for final testing and tuning. any thoughts on this?

Currently, i don't have access to an anechoic chamber in India. In China we do have for our pro-audio R & D. I usually do the measurements in large open space like fields to minimize effect of reflections for custom builds.

i am aware of one in pune, but not certain how accessible, from ur perspective. we CAN work on it, though.

It seems that I am quite late in putting up my views. Well I would put the blame on the FIFA WC.

Well as I had planned I reached Manav's place around 5 pm. Kartick and Harry were already there and Rahul joined us a little later. The altecs were in a nice big cabinet with the amplification inside and music just seemed to flow from them. Manav was playing flacs from his mac through a wyred for sound dac. He was using the accuphase 460 as a pre and feeding the actives speakers from this. Kamalji and Ashokji joined us a little late but at least all of us met up again.

I wanted to hear the altecs first hand and to see how these speakers sound i.e. just to feel the tonal voicing of these speakers; to experience how these sound. The other members have already mentioned about the music to which we listened to including fleetwood mac, abba, phil collins.

Well as i have had the oppurtunity to listen to several big drivers like Tannoy reds, Tannoy golds, Tannoy prestige series, Kanwar's speakers for Sid. These speakers shone with sparkling music with the speakers virtually disappearing and with generous amount of quality bass (kudos for the cabinet design). Well the highs were there and I think they will open up further. As everybody has said the midrange and lows were great and if you listen to mainly vocals then these speakers are for you period. As these speaker drivers are NOS therefore with playing for around a 100-150 hours or more is going to really open up the speakers.

I have seen Kanwar's craftmanship for the third time and I think he really gets the things done to perfection (well near perfect). The cabinets were very well done and looked good (I should also explore with kanwar for making me a pair of big driver active speakers with a wee bit smaller cabinets). The finish was top notch (it is nothing like the cheap finish we see but really good) and the cabinets looked real classy.

Manav is very pleased with the speakers. Having heard his B&Ws previously I think his feeling is justified. This set of speakers is simply said awesome.

Thank You Tapan ji

Manavji, it was a pleasure after a long, long time meeting up. Thanx for your patience and kindness despite our being delayed (as is this post vis-a-vis Saturday). I know you would have had a earful when you eventually reached CyberHub for your dinner date.

But I guess we did get a good 45-60 minutes with them.

The CDs we carried (and played) were as follows:-

1. Kalpana Zokarkar - Hidden Gems, Mystica Music

The first song tells me all I need to know in most systems.

On the Altecs, her excellent voice shone through. The tabla too.

However, I missed some depth with the rest of the presentation.

2. Sarah McLachlan - Rarities, B-Sides and Other Stuff Volume 2

Again, the first song, the sheer presence and warmth that a good system can demonstrate, is all one needs for a confirmatory. This came through.

3. Jagjit Singh & Chitra Singh - The Unforgettables, SaReGaMa/RPG

I look for the rasp and grainy quality in Jagjitji's 'Baat niklegi to door talak'. I also look at how smooth Chitraji's 'Raat bhi neend bhi, kahani bhi' sounds vis-a-vis shrill/hurtful.

These were win-win!

4. Maxim - The Piano Player, EMI/Virgin

Flight of the bumble bee and Exodus allows a check on dynamic range and harmonics for more current generation music interpretations, albeit on classics.

These handled his music very well.

The speakers are ATLs with active XO, Class AD built in amplification with the 15" Altec co-ax drivers. The cabinets are teak, built solidly (I have always loved Kanwarji's Nawashahar cabinet-work team). I would have given even more numbers if the front was a single baffle/block/plank; brings out the rich grain. The vote's out on whether to polish (glossy/matte) or not, but to each his own. The detailing was also interesting, other than the rounding-off of the sides and pointy-edges. The driver also seemed to have Kanwarji's signature touch-ups (pl. correct me if not), for longevity, etc. I would have liked to understand more on the speaker legs/footers, but could not. If these are adjustable and allow for some vibration management, would be great. Also, since these would be heavy. These are bottom firing, with obviously ample cubic capacity to allow the Altecs to sing and dig-deep. On first impressions, it was Phil Collins and since there were two seats in the room, I was standing; the speakers disappeared, leaving a deep and broad sound-stage instead! This was in-spite of the room being of modest dimensions (12x10) for a driver implementation of this size (there are foam bass-traps in the rear corners).

After 'Resurrection', this would be a delight. But, I would suggest you wait for a month and then decide. The highs should be better on the Resurrection whereas LF should in the Altecs (though maybe not as fast).

Tapanji, Panditji, Harry and Kartick, nice meeting up!

Looking forward to a vinyl session by the time the drivers open-out and settle in. Manav has a museum of it (sheer number and choice)! Along with chilled beer, icing :rolleyes:!!!

Hello Ashok Ji, it was great meeting you and Kamal sir. The idea of Manav's setup along with Vinyl & chilled beer is nothing less than a holiday !! I would also like to be a part of it !! It was an enriching listening session last Saturday !! I am very nascent in the whole hi end audio scene and for me this was the best it ever got. I can not even imagine how better these drivers will sound once properly broken in because for me they nailed every aspect. The fact that they were suited to every genre of music peaks everything else. One tends to forget about the gear and just enjoys the music. Listening to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours was like reinventing the music which I have been listening to since so long.

Hi,

The driver also seemed to have Kanwarji's signature touch-ups (pl. correct me if not), for longevity, etc.

Were some modifications done to the drivers?

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Were some modifications done to the drivers?

Regards
Rajiv

I think he was pointing towards the excessive goop on Altec cone surround, which comes by default.:D Yet the cones were given anti-moisture treatment by us as well.

Another modification we did was with the driver mounting in order to damp the vibration from the basket itself. Which was also done in Ashok ji's 21" subwoofer. The driver is not directly coupled with cabinet.:D

Last edited:

Hi,

A detailed explanation of the mounting system would be welcome,unless it is some kind of trade secret.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited by a moderator:

A detailed explanation of the mounting system would be welcome,unless it is some kind of trade secret.

Well those are trade secrets.....Hence cannot reveal them.

Last edited:

Another modification we did was with the driver mounting in order to damp the vibration from the basket itself. Which was also done in Ashok ji's 21" subwoofer. The driver is not directly coupled with cabinet.:D

krekt haigeee!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Kanwar

I am curious. Wouldnt applying any anti moisture treatment involve spraying something on the cones? Wouldnt that change the thickness of the cone material as well as its stiffness, and thereby the specs?

Last edited:

Hi Prem,

In that way the goop which is excessively applied by Altecs on the surrounds can also alter the degree of suspension travel stiffness.:p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back