System with Altec 604-8G drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Altec 604 8G drivers....Rocking Now..!!!

Good to see everybody enjoyed Malvai system and could see the Altec craze.. Yep i am also into it.. Good luck for the new entrants.:)

Hi,

50W HF

150W LF

XO 1.56kHz State variable Phase Coherent 24dB/Oct. With active correction and extended EQ.

Kanwar, from your post quoted above,will I be right in assuming that you are using some equalization and tone shaping of the signal. Is this "active correction" user adjustable?

Regards
Rajiv

First of all, Thanks a ton, Manav for the invite to listen to your Altecs, something that I was very keen to do.
Unfortunately, due to Office commitments/ traffic Ashok & I arrived pretty late so we couldnt have the pleasure of the extended listening session one would have wanted.
But from what I heard - esp with the tracks which I use to audition systems - the speakers certainly sounded very good even while not fully broken in - they need another 100 hours or so.
Even then, they gave a good idea of their potential - there was a naturalness, a flow to the music, the sound was balanced & coherent across the freq range, the bass was tight & controlled, midrange excellent with the highs a little recessed bec of the newness of the drivers.
Jagjit - "Baat niklegi to door talak" & Chitra " Raat bhi neend bhi, kahani bhi " & Kalpana Zokarkar " Saachi kaho ..." sounded so beautiful that I just leaned back, closed my eyes and enjoyed the so familiar , so oft heard and so beloved tracks work their magic on me again.
We also heard some tracks from Sarah McLachlan,and a CD of western classical favourites reinterpreted.
Rahul also played some tracks from his Sachal Studio Cd - very nice music, I'd only heard their Take Five version earlier.
All in all, I'd say that I liked the speakers very much and am positive that, given some more break in, they'll sound even better - it'll be interesting to hear them again a month or so from now.
But the most important thing is that Manav is delighted with them, which is what really matters in the end.
It was lovely catching up with old audiophile friends Manav, Rahul & Tapan & meeting new ones - Harry and Karthick.
Many thanks to them for staying on tho we arrived so late.
And again, thanks to Manav for being an affectionate host and letting us listen to his babies!

Hi,

Kanwar, from your post quoted above,will I be right in assuming that you are using some equalization and tone shaping of the signal. Is this "active correction" user adjustable?

Regards
Rajiv

It is part of the active XO design itself with respect to driver + cabinet parameters and is hardwired, not user adjustable. Their is no sense in giving it as adjustable option. The active circuitry is tuned to achieve optimized response from the cabinet + driver parameters in efficient way, this is how it is done.

F
Even then, they gave a good idea of their potential - there was a naturalness, a flow to the music, the sound was balanced & coherent across the freq range, the bass was tight & controlled, midrange excellent with the highs a little recessed bec of the newness of the drivers.
Jagjit - "Baat niklegi to door talak" & Chitra " Raat bhi neend bhi, kahani bhi " & Kalpana Zokarkar " Saachi kaho ..." sounded so beautiful that I just leaned back, closed my eyes and enjoyed the so familiar , so oft heard and so beloved tracks work their magic on me again.

Thank You Kamal ji ............. Your words said it all.:)

Last edited:

It seems that I am quite late in putting up my views. Well I would put the blame on the FIFA WC.

Well as I had planned I reached Manav's place around 5 pm. Kartick and Harry were already there and Rahul joined us a little later. The altecs were in a nice big cabinet with the amplification inside and music just seemed to flow from them. Manav was playing flacs from his mac through a wyred for sound dac. He was using the accuphase 460 as a pre and feeding the actives speakers from this. Kamalji and Ashokji joined us a little late but at least all of us met up again.

I wanted to hear the altecs first hand and to see how these speakers sound i.e. just to feel the tonal voicing of these speakers; to experience how these sound. The other members have already mentioned about the music to which we listened to including fleetwood mac, abba, phil collins.

Well as i have had the oppurtunity to listen to several big drivers like Tannoy reds, Tannoy golds, Tannoy prestige series, Kanwar's speakers for Sid. These speakers shone with sparkling music with the speakers virtually disappearing and with generous amount of quality bass (kudos for the cabinet design). Well the highs were there and I think they will open up further. As everybody has said the midrange and lows were great and if you listen to mainly vocals then these speakers are for you period. As these speaker drivers are NOS therefore with playing for around a 100-150 hours or more is going to really open up the speakers.

I have seen Kanwar's craftmanship for the third time and I think he really gets the things done to perfection (well near perfect). The cabinets were very well done and looked good (I should also explore with kanwar for making me a pair of big driver active speakers with a wee bit smaller cabinets). The finish was top notch (it is nothing like the cheap finish we see but really good) and the cabinets looked real classy.

Manav is very pleased with the speakers. Having heard his B&Ws previously I think his feeling is justified. This set of speakers is simply said awesome.

Hi Manav,

Seems like you people enjoyed the ALTEC sound :licklips: at the meet.

These enthusiastic reviews are fanning the fires of interest in the system/design.

For the FMs who live far away could you consider uploading some video clips on Youtube.

regds,
shafic

Hi Manav,

Seems like you people enjoyed the ALTEC sound :licklips: at the meet.

These enthusiastic reviews are fanning the fires of interest in the system/design.

For the FMs who live far away could you consider uploading some video clips on Youtube.

regds,

shafic

Thanks Shafic. A well implemented altec 604 driver is quite unbeatable IMHO.

I will put up some vids later when the set up opens up a bit more!!

manav,

am very happy for you.

hope this is the end of equipment and continuation of music..

going by all the good stuff folks have to say.. me thinks this is the last stop for you .. for some time to come.

this is the state that most of us want to be in but a few of us get to :clapping:

congratulations to kanwar too for setting this up am sure you will be very busy in the near - medium term :lol:

good luck !!

cheers !!

mpw

One such horn is Synergy horn, its a point source horn but with multiple drivers.

hey can be made into 2 way or 3 way and require much less space. Their coverage spectrum is from Midbass to extended HF.

Multiple_entry_horn.png

sh96_specifications_3_03.png

The coherency and the phase remains intact in such horns.

Now we are talking. I was wondering why you were holding this back.

Hi Kanwar, the Danley Sound SH 50 looks very interesting. Also reasonably priced. USD 8000 for a pair. Is synergy horn their patented design?

Prem,

I am not Kanwar - but yes. Synergy horn is Danley patent. There have been earlier versions of it, called Unity Horn. Danley had given some rights of it to Yorkville.

Congrats manav and Kanwar for your new speakers, they look suberb and reading the reviews its tempting me to comeover to Mumbai for a listning session ... Happy listening

Regards

Tanoj

Congrats manav and Kanwar for your new speakers, they look suberb and reading the reviews its tempting me to comeover to Mumbai for a listning session ... Happy listening

Regards

Tanoj

Tanoj, I am in delhi. And you are most welcome to come over for a listen when you come here!

Did about 15 straight hours of burn in today. We are now roughly around 75 hours! The sound has opened up tremendously today. Listening to Barb Junger's Waterloo sunset album. Heaven...

Hi Kanwar, the Danley Sound SH 50 looks very interesting. Also reasonably priced. USD 8000 for a pair. Is synergy horn their patented design?

Yes its their patented design but now being famous all over the world[Thanxz to China]. They can't enforce the patent everywhere. :D

An active 2 way synergy horn pair can be perfectly tailor made for home audio environment to suite a particular taste. Pair it with a set of separate LF unit and you can experience a whole new phenomena in listening......;)

Last edited:

Dil ka kya karein sahib, ham unhi pe marte hai......:D

Yeah, that doesn't mean you should hold it so close to heart. ;) :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back