System with Altec 604-8G drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Altec 604 8G drivers....Rocking Now..!!!

I am good to come over on Saturday too Manav. Let me know the time.

Cheers.
Harry.

Ok guys! Saturday it is! 4.30 to 7.30 pm. Pm me for the address. All are invited!

Guys! Pm me! The ones who are confirmed.

It looks like Saturday is a more do-able day. Kartick, Harry, cybervinay, ranjeetrain, panditji, how about it?

Aw crap, I was busy for the last 3-4 days so never got a chance to come online, just saw this post. Damn I cant make it tomorrow Manav.

I will request you some other time to host me for a session. Hope it won't be a problem.

You guys have an awesome session !!

Dude! The entire plan came about because of you!!

No probs though. Will plan some other day with you

Kartick , Try to attend the session, if you can.

Missed this thread completely. Good to see a big change. Full circle always means key changes and good to see one made and enjoyed so thoroughly.

Looks like a million dollars too. Great Job Kanwar !!

Hi Bro,

Any updates of the meet held earlier today??? Hope the FM's share their experiences

:)

I just got back from the meet an hour ago. 5 hours of bliss & realization of what I had been missing till now in my life.

I will post my detailed impressions later but 2 things that I have to write immediately :

- Kanwar : You are a magician !! Please help me build one pair of such speakers too.
- Manav : You are one hell of a lucky chap to own these speakers!! I really can not imagine how anything can sound better than this.

Hi,

I really can not imagine how anything can sound better than this.

If you have not listened to Viren's Altecs, I suggest you head over to his place and have a listen. The Altec 604's are very good but an Altec system using the 288 mid/HF driver is in a different league.This is my personal opinion as someone who owns and listens to a few Altec combinations.

However, after listening to both you may prefer the 604's, and I will not argue with you,since it all boils down to personal taste.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

If you have not listened to Viren's Altecs, I suggest you head over to his place and have a listen. The Altec 604's are very good but an Altec system using the 288 mid/HF driver is in a different league.This is my personal opinion as someone who owns and listens to a few Altec combinations.

However, after listening to both you may prefer the 604's, and I will not argue with you,since it all boils down to personal taste.

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv
so according to you the original designs of altec are like " gospel truth " and cannot be altered ? why?? are these so good? and what about modern music ?

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv View Post
Hi,

Regards
Rajiv
Rajiv
so according to you the original designs of altec are like " gospel truth " and cannot be altered ? why?? are these so good? and what about modern music ?
Today 07:41 AM

Where did I say that in the quoted post?

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Where did I say that in the quoted post?

Regards
Rajiv

No by reading your and many other members post ( who has experienced altecs /tannoys .. sorry I have very very limited experience ) having a strong feeling that - there is strong belief that certain designs MUST BE faithfully followed with certain accompanying electronics ...... is it so .. and then why??

Are those builds are gospel truth ? Last word ? And what if it is ; why one should not re-interpret the design?

I am sure Manav had taken the call after listening to many builds , including Virenjis .... manav can you confirm?

:eek::rolleyes::annoyed: ....... it starts yet again!

Be satisfied with whatever one has procured, its just a matter of getting used to. Else, how would you have the option to 'taste' varying flavours? Quite similar to tasting varieties of "mangoes" isn't so? Langda, Himsagar, Kesar, Alphonso, Rumaniya ... all different, yet, all are rated 'best' when available! :cool:

hi guys!
It was a very amazing listening session yesterday and I thank all of you for being there for it.

It was great to catch up with all of you: Rahul Pandit, Cdr Harry, Tapan (dillihifi), Kartick, Kamalji and Capt Ashok.

I would like to thank capt Ashok and Kamalji for taking time out despite what turned out to be a last minute invite.

While the speaker are still below 60 hours of burn in they sounded good to most of us. As Kartick mentioned in his post above, they are wonderful speakers.

I feel another 100-150 hours will smoothen out the tweeters a LOT more.

But let me not hog the space about the meet here a there were several senior audiophiles who were there and ideally they should write about their experiences.

On my part, I am going back to the listening!

Altec 604 8G drivers....Rocking Now..!!!

@hemantwaghe, I have heard many implementations but was not satisfied completely by any.... I always left feeling as if one could improve upon them! After all if one could improve the sonics of the Garrad 301 and 401 by rethinking the plinth mass why not the Altec? After all the altec 604 was a pro audio / mastering driver.... The cue came from that itself!

What was the biggest change in mastering equipment? Obviously active monitoring... From there the questioning and the answering began. To finally come up with this creation. I am finally happy.

As an aside though, let's not start a war. Let's not assume what anyone might be alluding to.

After all, my truth is mine alone. In this case, mine and kanwar's . And to whoever listens to this creation and agrees with it. To others they have their own truths. And those are satisfying and beautiful truths in their own right.

Last edited:

Hi,

No by reading your and many other members post ( who has experienced altecs /tannoys .. sorry I have very very limited experience ) having a strong feeling that - there is strong belief that certain designs MUST BE faithfully followed with certain accompanying electronics ...... is it so .. and then why??

Are those builds are gospel truth ? Last word ? And what if it is ; why one should not re-interpret the design?

I am sure Manav had taken the call after listening to many builds , including Virenjis .... manav can you confirm?

I think you are misinterpreting/misunderstood what I have said in other posts . What I have said many times is that when building systems around vintage speakers/amps it is better to be sympathetic to the design philosophy and intent of the original designers.

The old Altecs were designed with the low damping factor tube amps with high Z.(not so sure about the 604G but the earlier ones certainly were).That is not to say you can't use SS amps with them, but SS amps with high damping factors and low Z don't sound right to me with these type of drivers. This is my opinion but then different strokes for different folks.:)

I am sure Manav has done his homework when he committed to Kanwar's design.:)

Regards
Rajiv

Guys... Guys... Guys... One has to hear this implementation to believe it!!

Let's not start a row! All if you are well intentioned.

And Rajiv is a old HFV buddy. We might not have met yet, but we have had enuff telecons, emergency advice sessions in call and more! I know him enough to not question his intentions. I know he means well. So let us not try and interpret too much by his posts.

All he is saying is that the Iyer altec driver has even more charm.

And I agree.

But I cannot see it being implemented in all it's glory in my tiny listening room.

So until I make several million more rupees as extra income I cannot move to home with a huge basement where I can put up the VOTT in its full glory!

But if the good lord will it, maybe in this lifetime I'll get there!

Till then this 604 implementation it is. And I doubt if it can bettered that easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back