System with Altec 604-8G drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Altec 604 8G drivers finally!

Aja... brilliant album choice Manav. When I mesgd you for a listening session, I was thinking I should carry this vinyl to your place. The prospect of listening to the title track's crescendo seemed very thrilling. When this track goes into full swing, oh dear it tears the room apart. I am sure you would have had that experience with your new speakers.

I ought to come for the listening session soon. Whenever you find some time, do let me know. We will plan.

Kartck how does Sunday sound to you? post lunch around 4ish? Maybe ranjeetrain can join us? let's see!

Sure Manav...we could plan something. If not this Sunday then definitely next weekend. We could check with ranjeetrain too.

At 27 hours, the speakers have opened out to another dimension!!

This is one decision that has totally worked out in a way that I had not imagined.

On every expectation this pair has more than exceed!

Great job Kanwar.

The speakers are super coherent, fluid, detailed and dynamic. The soundstage is deep, wide and vivid.

The tone and timber is awesome!

This is fabulous.

I tried one more thing that has been on my mind for long now: trying out playback from a MacBook Pro. So I bought a Jriver package for the mac. And BOY! This blows out the Dell. The sound is atleast 500% better!

@ Kartick, let's plan for next Sunday then!

I wish I could be there. I love looking at beautiful woodwork, let alone listening to it as well :D

Malvai, your experiences are so well described that when I read them I can actually feel the experience and excitement myself. Thanks for sharing these on a real time basis.

At 27 hours, the speakers have opened out to another dimension!!

This is one decision that has totally worked out in a way that I had not imagined.

On every expectation this pair has more than exceed!

Great job Kanwar.

The speakers are super coherent, fluid, detailed and dynamic. The soundstage is deep, wide and vivid.

The tone and timber is awesome!

This is fabulous.

I tried one more thing that has been on my mind for long now: trying out playback from a MacBook Pro. So I bought a Jriver package for the mac. And BOY! This blows out the Dell. The sound is atleast 500% better!

@ Kartick, let's plan for next Sunday then!

When they were in 'Making'

1979228_485689884868428_1930388844_o.jpg

Re: Altec 604 8G drivers....Rocking Now..!!!

I can make out TWO similar pairs! The other pair is for .. ?

They are not quite similar, the size is different as the smaller ones were for a guy from Rajasthan. It has 12inch dual cone custom fullranger designed to go with TL cabinet.

We are now on the 34th hour... I guess from here on critical listening will begin.

What I hear this morning is an amazing amount of detail. The sound has beautiful presence.

More later!!

why critical listen when you are enjoying so much malvai ?

isnt enjoyment what we all seek ? The so called 'nirvana'.

why spoil it ? unless one expects "critical listen" to further enhance the enjoyment.

if thats the case.. then you will be among the truly lucky.

its a genuine question i ask.

mpw

Curious to know whether the Altec were re-coned or original vintage one?

Altec 604 8G drivers....Rocking Now..!!!

@srinisunder, these are original NOS drivers that were with a studio in Canada. Not reconed, never used as they were kept as spares in case the drivers in use ever got bummed!

So yes, they are the original vintage ones, but never used until now.

Which is one of the reasons why the burn in period was critical.

The class d Amps and the active cross over has burnt in completely. The sound is sooooo fluid.

I am assuming that by the 200th hour the drivers will show their full form.

Though even now, the sound in amongst the best of the best that I have heard. That too without the typical hi-fi ish kind if SQ which I have started to really detest the last year or so.

@mpw, doing a critical listen at this stage will reveal what kind of preamp I need and other tweaks.

One thing is clear that I need not even touch the stock power cord. It has made no difference! I put a very high end one on one speaker/amp and let the other side play on with the original. No difference!

So thankfully the electronics here are stellar quality and don't need frivolous tweaks to sound their best.

Last edited:

the choice of pre should be quite simple - atleast in theory..

continue with your accuphase integrated as pre ( if i am right u r using this.. correct me if i am mistaken )
else look at accuphase pre - dedicated
else ask kanwar to make a suitable pre for his supplied electronics.

ofcourse being the experienced audio enthusiast that you are.. these are the most obvious choices..

when you say - critical listening - it implies that there is still some small % of uncertainty which is unresolved / undecided.

Going thru your posts.. all the adjectives and exclamations are ticked :) so.. what does remain ?

Oh yes - if you have another pre and are doing A/B.. thats another matter altogether and we would love to hear of your experiences.

to my mind.. keep playing.... till the time you find a buyer for the accuphase integrated.. cross the bridge... when you come to it.

anyways.. it will be interesting choice whatever route you decide to take.

hey.. and wanted to ask another thing if you permit.. since your room size is 10 by 12.. are you taking care of reflections etc.. in the sound..or some room treatment etc.. ? please do post some pics of the same.

good luck !

mpw

Hi,

Manav, you posted this in Oct. of 2012,

its been a while now since the R's were put into the chain... and now that my reference cartridge has burned in... the results are absolutely spectacular!

i am amazed at the amazing amount of detail, prat, dynamics, and the humungous soundstage! it is uncanny... on one Ramsey lewis recording the drummer gets up and drums on the studio walls... i got startled to hear the sound emanating from the side walls!

these speakers are fantabulous... and the Accuphase is a worthy amp for them! i am glad i did not go mad trying to get a really bad deal to work for me when i was considering the Canasya's...

and Bhagwan, thanks once again for the speakers! these are not going anywhere for a long, long time... and neither is the Accuphase E460!

Today you say,

Though even now, the sound in amongst the best of the best that I have heard. That too without the typical hi-fi ish kind if SQ which I have started to really detest the last year or so.

In less than two years your previous system is up for sale. What changed? Was your previous system too Hi-Fi ish? After the initial enthusiasm will your Altecs also go the way of your previous system?

If you think the Altec 604's are good wait till you hear a full blown Altec system with the big Altec 288 mid/HF driver, :), and yes they will work in a small room .

Regards
Rajiv

We are now on the 34th hour... I guess from here on critical listening will begin.

why critical listen when you are enjoying so much malvai ?

I wonder how many hours you are going to go on counting!

But hey, if you enjoy the counting and the critical listening as well as the fine music, then I guess that's bonus! :eek:hyeah:

Luckily I escaped from deep hifi since i never admitted my system was good earlier.;) However now i openly admitting my OB was partly satisfactory and yet to be tuned to my(all) liking.:cool:

Hi,

Manav, you posted this in Oct. of 2012,

Today you say,

In less than two years your previous system is up for sale. What changed? Was your previous system too Hi-Fi ish? After the initial enthusiasm will your Altecs also go the way of your previous system?

If you think the Altec 604's are good wait till you hear a full blown Altec system with the big Altec 288 mid/HF driver, :), and yes they will work in a small room .
Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv,
The altec's are not being compared to the R's at all!
I still have to make that comparison.

The fact is that I cannot have the R's + accuphase along with the altec combo for 2 reasons:
1. Space

2. I can't afford to keep both.

In fact the R's went up for sale along with the accuphase in December itself! This was the time when I was still undecided as to what way I will go with the altec build. I was still to choose between two very popular choices to build these!

And yes, the R's are not the typical hi-fi ish seakers either. If you read through the thread you'll find me making a reference to that effect as well.

And btw, I did briefly hear the full blown altec set up - twice. Once in Bangalore and another time in Hong Kong. It is very tempting and I do intend to build it at some point.

That too would be fully active. I have an idea for that as well! But don't have the money as of now.

@mpw: the idea is to get the right pre.after the accuphase it is going to be a vey tough act for a any other preamp to follow.

The fact is that if I ask Kanwar to build one it would knock the socks off any other preamp being built by any indian manufacturer/DIY er.

But I am looking for an insight as to what route to take.... The decision will come to me... The more I listen. Currently I want to determine what will be subtracted if I remove the accuphase.

I would need to borrow some other preamp; will line up something for next week! And will report about that, then.

Last edited:

Hi,

The altec's are not being compared to the R's at all!
I still have to make that comparison.

Manav, you have heard both speaker systems in the same setting, curious minds want to know the pluses and minuses of the Altecs and the "R's", factoring in the use of different amplification i.e. Kanwar's class D vs the Accuphase.

The fact is that if I ask Kanwar to build one it would knock the socks off any other preamp being built by any indian manufacturer/DIY er.

Is the above statement with reference to your system,or is Kanwar's pre so good that it will knock the socks of every other preamp built in India when it is dropped into any system?

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv & other curious minds:
A quick note on the R's vs Altec 604 8g:

1. The R's have a ribbon tweeter hence they are extremely extended on the highs. Not brittle or screechy by very extended and detailed.

The altec's have a hf response limited to 16khz. Just about enough for human listening.

This does not bother me one bit. To some other it might matter and can even be a deal breaker. So the R's are clearly ahead in this area.

2. The R's have a very small bass driver. But one that has vapour deposited titanium... Hence that makes this driver extremely fast and punchy. As it is loaded in TL enclosure, the LF response is superb. The bass comes fast and deep.

The altec being a big paper come driver is a bit slower also it is not a stiff driver hence the bass is not as strong as other drivers like the tannoy (in the regular scheme of things. A implemented with passive crossovers) But the ATL enclosure and the active crossover allows us to have LF way into the 30s!
The bass here is not quite as fast nor extended like the R's but is lush.
I'd call this round a draw. As these are two features that won't ever reconcile in any one design.

The mids are way better in the altec. Way better. I have not heard better mids yet.

Overall both speakers are great. Big have their own very strong character and I can live with both. But then there are constraints.

The altec have lesser overall resolution. That is a fact. They can't compete with the R's ribbon for resolution. But the altec has a lot of character. And a charming presentation that I love more each day.

Having said the above, let confess that a move towards Tannoy or Altec happens to us after we have gone through the entire life cycle. Some of us become clearer about the hifi'ish path, some of us come back to basics.

The Altec is a return to basics.

Coming to the class d amp by Kanwar vs the accuphase: the accuphase has it's very lush accuphasey timbre and tone.

Kanwar's amp are TRANSPARENT. They have no inherent character of their own. And are very unforgiving of trashy recordings. The altec sweetens those a bit though, which the R's never did!

Coming to the preamp question. I would simply say that none of the usual suspects have the capability to build a preamp that would satisfy me.

So the only way to go is to either buy a firang brand. Or allow Kanwar to brew another world class component.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back