System with Altec 604-8G drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Altec 604 8G drivers....Rocking Now..!!!

malvai,

thanks for the lovely comparo.

i have asked this before but somehow havent got a reply - with a room size of 10 by 12 how are you managing reflections ?

mpw

Mpw: the room has various things added, for eg, both side walls have tall shelves for lps... Each shelf is 8-9 inches wide and is 11 foot tall I have two on each side. Stuck to the wall asymmetrically.

On the wall behind my back is a huge Lp rack.

On the back wall there is a very thick curtain plus I have corner bass traps.

This does the job quite adequately.

Hope this helps. Will try and post some pics if you want more clarity.

malvai,

thanks !

pics will better to visualize.

regards
mpw

Congrats Malvai on the Altecs.

I have a pair of Tannoy MGs in the living room of similar breadth but slightly more in length.
Some pics of your room setup would be great.

Regards,

Will post pictures in a day or two guys. Don't have my camera on me for a few days. Will post soon as I get it back.

Hi,

Having said the above, let confess that a move towards tannoy or altec happens to is after we have gone through the entire life cycle. Some of us become clearer about the hifi'ish path some if us come back to basics.

The altec is a return to basics.

:)

Regards
Rajiv

mpw & APK here are the pics:

1. The set up, there is a thick curtain at the back... not fully drawn in the picture as I had just pulled out a lens from the cupboard that it conceals!
also behind the speakers, the two corners you'll see the corner bass traps, peeking up!

2rqhqte.jpg

2. The left wall, have kept the lp racks closer to each other, as you'll see in the right wall.

w06vb7.jpg

3. The right wall - have kept the racks wider apart. Also notice that one of the racks (the one closer to the speaker is lesser in depth, it is meant for books, the different placement and tweak in sizing creates asymmetrical diffusion!)

vhz6ec.jpg

4. The listening spot!

2hygp47.jpg

hope this helps!

I have not done an antiseptic super cleaning of the room, as I like it looking lived in.

-M

Malvai,

I will comment only about the listening spot and absolutely it is looking like an critical listening chair and your words speaks about it. Please do buy an lazyboy or equivalent and start enjoying.;)

Otherwise it is an well planned listening room with nice look.:)

Last edited:

Hi Malvai,
That's quite a packed room and a huge collection of records you got there.
My speakers are placed against the balcony which has large glass sliding doors and bare walls on both sides.
Guess I need to work the room rather than blaming the equipment.
Thanks
Regards

Last edited:

I love the flower :)

I don't think I'd last long in that chair ...but every backside is different :lol:

Manav,

your review of altec is bang on. The drivers were known for HF rolloff around 16 Khz and the mid-bass hump. This was quite common in those days and that's how it was designed. Looks like music that you listen is also from that era so the system will play as it was supposed to sound like.

Kanwar did an awesome job not only on the components and design but also the workmanship for cabinets is top notch. I should get him to build me 3x synergy horn speakers. :)

Will post pictures in a day or two guys. Don't have my camera on me for a few days. Will post soon as I get it back.

Mobile phones do have cameras, even a SD image is OK with FM as all of are curious about it.

Malvai,

I will comment only about the listening spot and absolutely it is looking like an critical listening chair and your words speaks about it. Please do buy an lazyboy or equivalent and start enjoying.;)

Otherwise it is an well planned listening room with nice look.:)

The chair is the immediate, most needed upgrade! working on it! not finding just the right the right kind of chair.... don't want a huge one!

Hi Malvai,
That's quite a packed room and a huge collection of records you got there.
My speakers are placed against the balcony which has large glass sliding doors and bare walls on both sides.
Guess I need to work the room rather than blaming the equipment.
Thanks
Regards

Thats a no-no!
I love the flower :)

I don't think I'd last long in that chair ...but every backside is different :lol:

Thad, that is the most recent entrant in the room! It was made by my 3 and half year old son for fathers day! His first ever gift to me! All the more beautiful to me because of that!

Manav,

your review of altec is bang on. The drivers were known for HF rolloff around 16 Khz and the mid-bass hump. This was quite common in those days and that's how it was designed. Looks like music that you listen is also from that era so the system will play as it was supposed to sound like.

Kanwar did an awesome job not only on the components and design but also the workmanship for cabinets is top notch. I should get him to build me 3x synergy horn speakers. :)

Kanwar's implementation has completely cured the mid-bass hump!

Mobile phones do have cameras, even a SD image is OK with FM as all of are curious about it.

Hari I think you missed the images that I posted on the thread last night!

Last edited:

It's about 50 hours now!!!

Listening to Joss Stone- Soul Sessions 1. I swear to you guys, I have never heard her this lifelike!

thanks for the pics M.

looks good !!

would like a listen someday hopefully..

mpw

Lovely pics there Manav. Now you have me wondering how good these beauties sound.I am in Punjab right now on a holiday and should be back in Delhi before this weekend. Would love to listen to them whenever you have time.

I am intrigued at how this sounds compared to your previous system...which in my opinion is one of the best i have heard till date.

Meanwhile keep spinning those Vinyls....

Cheers.
Harry.

Harry, planning something for Sunday! Will call ya!

Sure Manav.....looking forward to it eagerly. Hope to catch up with you on sunday.:eek:hyeah:

It looks like Saturday is a more do-able day. Kartick, Harry, cybervinay, ranjeetrain, panditji, how about it?

Wow, have a great day guys and looks like interesting posts were expected for sunday read.:cool:

It looks like Saturday is a more do-able day. Kartick, Harry, cybervinay, ranjeetrain, panditji, how about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back