System with Altec 604-8G drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Altec 604 8G drivers finally!

Absolutely magnificent looking speakers there Manav. Recently after auditioning compression drivers at Viren sir's house, I have started to develop a fondness towards these. I am absolutely enthralled to see the finish on your cabinets and am speechless for the amount of detailing and effort that you and Kanwar have put into this. I do not know the details but just reading from the various posts in this thread, it is very evident.

I am going to be blatantly imposing here and am going to request you if I can come for an audition sometime. It will be an education of sorts in my music listening journey.

Kartick pm your number and we can set up a session!

Congrats Manav and Kanwar. The speakers look very good and they also seem to be sound excellent. Good combination of vintage and modern design.

Cheers

The speakers have done about 8 hours now... The imaging and separation is astounding... Listing to a Chesky recording of "oh well" done by Sara K.
The speakers seem to have disappeared and Sara plus band seem to have been beamed in!!

A while back was listening to Paul Anka on vinyl, nothing beats listening to vinyl on an Altec!

Back to listening now!

Last edited:

Congrats Malavai... Looks like vintage awareness combined with modern technology will erupt slowly like your build. Hope everybody will not blow their system on testing. Taking guidance to build from the right mind is needed.

The modern Technology wins

The workmanship is really fantastic,

Cool to know that Class-D amplifiers along with Active XO did a perfect job with Vintage Altecs. :cool:

Kudos to Kanwar for bringing out the best matching of technologies :cheers:

Congrats to Malvai, "Neighbour's Envy Owners Pride"

Last edited:

Listening to Bartok's violin symphonies.... The altec's presentation is huge. The tone and timbre is something you have to hear.

We are now around the 12 hour burn in mark. The sound stage has widened and depended and the speakers seems to be able to handle the nimbler pieces quite delicately too. Wonder what more magic will be revealed when they reach the 30 hour+ mark?

Only time will tell whats in store, so keep playing them tunes & dig out album after album from your exhaustive collection bro

:cheers:

So you are putting a bit that there is a change from Altec too..:p

Only time will tell whats in store, so keep playing them tunes & dig out album after album from your exhaustive collection bro

:cheers:

The Great Blend of Modern tech

Listening to Bartok's violin symphonies.... The altec's presentation is huge. The tone and timbre is something you have to hear.

We are now around the 12 hour burn in mark. The sound stage has widened and depended and the speakers seems to be able to handle the nimbler pieces quite delicately too. Wonder what more magic will be revealed when they reach the 30 hour+ mark?

:yahoo:

Advanced Transmission Line + Active XO, A perfect combination at the work with Altecs........;)

So you are putting a bit that there is a change from Altec too..:p

you are putting words in my mouth :p
was just telling malvai to enjoy the music, as after all that is the most important aspect most of us forget to do, in this never ending journey of our hobby.

Great to hear this Manav ! its always an awesome experience when a throw of the dice comes out so well !
Keep updating. The Speakers really look Gorgeous and Kudos to Kanwar for getting this to this level of perfomance.

That's true arj! You gotta come over again, whenever you're here next... The sound is different now. Totally opposite direction.

Altec 604 8G drivers finally!

24th hour of burn in. Just can't hold back the urge to listen to Steely Dan's Aja! Already on to track 2: Aja. Waiting for Deacon Blues to come up... Picture me tapping my fingers on the sides of the phone as it comes up, while I type and tell you how gorious the German pressing is sounding via the garrard 401? Through the denon long type transcription arm - DA 309, and. Lowly barely burnt in Grado Blue 1. I can just imagine what the sound would be when my reference carts come back from a soundsmith retip!!
Hang on, Aja is ending... Shutting eyes and pausing....

... And back! The midrange is SWEEEEEET!!

The details are super fine... It's like trying to catch a hundred different events on the soundstage without ever losing the big picture!!
This is brilliant.

Last edited:

Hi,

24th hour of burn in. Just can't hold back the urge to listen to Steely Dan's Aja! Already on to track 2: Aja. Waiting for Deacon Blues to come up... Picture me tapping my fingers on the sides of the phone as it comes up, while I type and tell you how gorious the German pressing is sounding via the garrard 401? Through the denon long type transcription arm - DA 309, and. Lowly barely burnt in Grado Blue 1. I can just imagine what the sound would be when my reference carts come back from a soundsmith retip!!
Hang on, Aja is ending... Shutting eyes and pausing....

... And back! The midrange is SWEEEEEET!!

The details are super fine... It's like trying to catch a hundred different events on the soundstage without ever losing the big picture!!
This is brilliant.

Glad you are enjoying your system.

Grado? What happened to the Koetsu and Clearaudio?

Regards
Rajiv

Koetsu is still to be brought out. Have kept it aside for now... The clearaudio got worn out! Sent for a retip along with the denon! Which will also get a wood body!!

Hi,

Koetsu is still to be brought out. Have kept it aside for now...

You should use the Koetsu.

Now that you have heard and enjoyed/enjoying the tone and timber of the alnico Altecs ,using your long body(alnico) Koetsu will increase your enjoyment.

The clearaudio got worn out!
Wow! That is a lot of playing time. You had it re tipped quite recently did you not?

Is your Ortofon SPU back from its rebuild?

Regards
Rajiv

I will bring out the koetsu soon! I actually wanted to use it in the Denom arm. But as there is no manual for the arm on setting etc, I have been using other carts on it (have ruined 2, and the grado is the 3rd one on it). So far the grado has been out up perfectly so now I know how the arm works! Now I can put the Koetsu!

The Clearaudio was re-tipped over 2 and a half years ago! Since then a lot has passed under it! It could have played for 3 years more but I wanted to change the type of stylus and diamond soo....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back