System with Altec 604-8G drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Altec 604 8G drivers finally!

what a beautiful build, awesome!!

terriffic carpentry!!

I was scrolling down in anticipation when came across these jaw dropping pics!!

echo Prem's question. Are the amps inside?

Congrats Malvai

They look cool. Are the amps inside the cabinets?

Yep. The amps are inside the cabinet!

They look lovely Manav, leave them matte finished. Change to spikes on footers.

Kudos Kanwar :clapping:

More pics of the rear please, would like to see pics of the amps/x-overs. TIA!

I am ok with the matte finish too! so, i am going to leave them be!

I will try and take snaps of the back as well tonight!

first impressions:
The speakers have a tremendous soundstage. TREMENDOUS.
The separation is amazing!
The midrange is silky smooth.
The two areas that I was worried about, have been addressed by Kanwar:
1. Microdetails... the amps and the active XO's have really helped the Altec to punch above their weight here.... the speakers have satisfied the detail freak in me!
2. Bass: the speakers are giving luscious bass down into the 30s!

after 3 hours of listening, i could distinctly hear the speakers opening out... i guess they will play at their best after 30 more hours of play...

Thanks Malvai. So the signal goes from an outside pre to the amps in the speaker cabinet? Is the pre also from Kanwar

congratulations! the speakers look very nice. Is the wood in the front sheesham?

BTW, what are the dimensions of your room? just to get a perspective...

Best,
APK

Great work Malvai.:clapping: They look gorgeous!!

Last edited:

that looks nice malvai !

njoi !

mpw

Thanks Malvai. So the signal goes from an outside pre to the amps in the speaker cabinet? Is the pre also from Kanwar

Currently i am using the Accuphase E460's pre-out (it can be used as a preamp as well!!)...
I am considering a dual mono/ fully balanced option that Kanwar can build... also looking for a tube based option... let's see...

congratulations! the speakers look very nice. Is the wood in the front sheesham?

BTW, what are the dimensions of your room? just to get a perspective...

Best,
APK

APK, the wood is solid teak wood... its another variant of sheesham, Kanwar can tell what (its slipped my mind)... these are made after proper treatment and is made of many smaller tiles of the wood, so that the resonant frequency that builds up in the wood cancels each other out...

My room size is about 10 ft x 12 ft

Great work Malvai.:clapping: They looks gorgeous!!

thanks shafic.... they sound brilliant too!

I have heard them blossom out bit by bit this morning... the sound will become truly magical after 30-40 hours.

Congrats Malvai. You've been suitably rewarded for your patience I guess.

Some specs of the Class D amps would be great.

My room size is about 10 ft x 12 ft

I'm not sure what is the design and construction of the speakers. Is is a sealed box or a ported design or is it a TL?

I'm asking because, for my Tannoy Monitor Reds, I was suggested to go in for a folded horn design. I got double lucky as someone was willing to let go of the cabinets that he got made which were the exact ones that I was planning to make. These I'm told, would require a sizable room to play.

They look incredible...I'm sure they sound the part too! Congrats! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Congrats Malvai. You've been suitably rewarded for your patience I guess.

Some specs of the Class D amps would be great.

I'm not sure what is the design and construction of the speakers. Is is a sealed box or a ported design or is it a TL?

I'm asking because, for my Tannoy Monitor Reds, I was suggested to go in for a folded horn design. I got double lucky as someone was willing to let go of the cabinets that he got made which were the exact ones that I was planning to make. These I'm told, would require a sizable room to play.

Capt. These are active transmission line... the port is at the bottom!
and yes, I heard about how lucky you were!! that's really cool... you would need a largish room to play your speakers to their full potential...

Mine are playing superbly even in the tiny space, though i'm sure a larger room will only make things better... bit then, THAT is one upgrade that is too costly for me just yet!

@soulforged: thanks bro!

Last edited:

Congrats Bro,

Hope to hear 'em in the near future

:cheers:

Congrats Manav .They look majestic. Since they sound impressive enough also,considering the pedigree of your previous system, that must be something.

cheers

Change to spikes on footers.

Kudos Kanwar :clapping:

Thanxz Santosh,

The footers are not normal ones, they are 'Ball' based isolating dampers with results similar to spikes.

Guys!
Had a extended listening session in the morning -- 4 hours!

Kanwar too joined in (he especially drove down for this!!) and i think both of us were enthralled!

The Altec 604 8G's deserve their reputation! And I think my gamble paid off! Going totally modern, with active crossovers and matched Class D amps in a modern, professinally designed ATL cabinet really worked!

and they look like a million bucks! see for yourself guys:

Wow, they are really beautiful :D :clapping:

They look gorgeous, and look like they mean business at the same time! I personally think the matte finish looks better than glossy finish would have.
Me too. I like my wood with a natural look

They look lovely Manav, leave them matte finished. Change to spikes on footers.
My theory: spikes are for wooden floors, and especially carpet-covered wooden floors, not for concrete, ceramic, marble, etc etc. Just my theory ...but there are some interesting thoughts on spikes, cones, etc here: Spikes and Cones Whats the point?. But you are probably far too busy listening :eek:hyeah:

Yes Thad! Too busy listening... Not too bothered about spikes and cones and ball bearings etc... All that madness can happen later, if needed!

Great looking speaker with excellent finish. Hope the spikes are able to bear the load of the box, a thicker spike would be more stable IMHO. Good to know that the 'Terminus' is at the bottom like my own designs.

In my experience, if you find bass to be more dominating with the bottom terminus, you can add some kind of carpet on the floor below the terminus to make it 'Lossy' instead of reflective. This could reduce the over powering bass a bit and make it smooth at the low-end. The carpet will need to be relatively thick to absorb the low frequency.

Congrats once again.

50W HF

150W LF

XO 1.56kHz State variable Phase Coherent 24dB/Oct. With active correction and extended EQ.

Now that's the way to take a driver, get the most out of it and extend its response. Complete restore + makeover.

Congrats to Manav and Kanwar for taking the bold way and not limiting yourself.

Last edited:

Any pre-amp recommendations that you guys might want to share?

I would suggest go with Kanwars pre. He has designed everything. He will know what is likely to work best. I always believe that if you are getting something custom made you should entrust the entire responsibility to the designer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back