System with Altec 604-8G drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Altec 604 8G drivers finally!

Malvai,

If I remember my discussions with Rajiv, the 604s are nothing but the 416 15" woofer and 80x compression driver combined into one duplex driver. I have made the JE Labs open baffle with the 416 drivers in them and they do very well. The bass does get pretty low and is quite punchy as well. I still have a lot of work in terms of crossover and fine tuning but they definitely do very well.

There are also quite a few implementations of the 416 with the JE Labs open baffles. for example Wolf von Langa Black & White Gallery these are done with the GPA version of the 416 which wolf converts to field coil (source: Rajiv)

The thing is this, not everyone likes the open baffle sound. The JE Labs baffle is so simple that you can easily make it in about 1 hrs time. You need a large room and positioning is important, mine are about 6ft from the rear wall and I am sitting well more than 10ft away from them. If you have decent space in your room then my suggestion is you try it, the effort and cost are very minimal. You can always re-use the baffle for other projects. :D

Hi,

Rajagopal, open baffles won't work as well for this....

It depends. One can get Altecs to work well in open baffles it takes some work.Also open baffles need space to work well,if space is a problem it is best to go for a regular cabinet.

Lowther uses the 416 in one of its open baffle speaker options.

Large Open Baffle

Dennis Had of Cary Audio(he is the big guy lying on the floor) trying out open baffles with Altecs.

Looks like we have an Altec convert.....

The altec 604 8g as it is gives out less bass...

The 604's have all the bass one needs for music playback. To get the best out of these drivers one has to think like the audio engineers of the 50's and not like 21st century audio designers/engineers.

If I remember my discussions with Rajiv, the 604s are nothing but the 416 15" woofer

Raj, the 604's use the 515 woofer the 605's use the 416 woofer.

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks Rajiv...

i do have a space constraint... its a 12x 10 kind of room... So I guess i will go for a ATL...

Hi Rajiv,
had something like the billfort set up in mind... then realised that I should give ATL designs a try... also, bi-amping the driver(s) will give me more headroom for the rock/metal i occasionally like to play....

Thanks Rajiv...

i do have a space constraint... its a 12x 10 kind of room... So I guess i will go for a ATL...

So you have a 120 sqft room and plan to make a ATL (I am assuming transmission line) with a 15" driver. Not very clever in my opinion.(No disrespect to anyone here).
Another approach to consider with your permission.
If you have a dedicated room, an angled partitioned drywall construction,2" deep from center of wall, going to 11" deep towards the side walls(like a V shape), which allows you to sink the drivers directly into it, would give superb results.
2Pi radiation would ensure phase coherence throughout the audio passband.
Get a VT4C/211 based amp to do the remaining magic. Do not battle the room,you will loose.;)

nosortf, i am currently in a rented space... so i do not want to mount anything on the walls.... the place that we finally move to is going to have a much bigger listening space... that is when the more 'permanent' kind of build will happen.

but yeah, thanks for your input... it is the best suggestion for a long term solution!
and I will definitely explore it in the future.

Hi,

Manav, updates?

Waiting for your impressions on the Altecs.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,
the cabinets are built... now I have to get the drivers to them in Punjab... not getting the time!

Meanwhile Kanwar is doing the amps and the active crossovers....

Hopefully i should get some time after the 10th of May and then things will move forward very very fast!

Will keep you posted.

I believe the speakers are now on their way!! Will report with pictures as soon as I get them!!

Eager for the images of the ATLs with the Altec with listening impressions.

I too am planning an ATL with the Goodman drivers for Shafic. They are full-range though.

And they are here!! About 85kgs each! With 2 amps built into each unit... Pure hardwood. Excellent finish... Unfortunately matte finish, I would have preferred glossy finish though...

And they are here!! About 85kgs each! With 2 amps built into each unit... Pure hardwood. Excellent finish... Unfortunately matte finish, I would have preferred glossy finish though...

Do they come with a crane to move them around :p

Congrats. Hope you enjoy them for years to come

Pics please !

Congratulations Malvai! that is one heavyweight speaker, and some more!

Photos and first impressions please......

Best,
APK

Congrats Manav!:clapping:

Wow! Tell us more about the initial impressions and yes pics please :)

Guys!
Had a extended listening session in the morning -- 4 hours!

Kanwar too joined in (he especially drove down for this!!) and i think both of us were enthralled!

The Altec 604 8G's deserve their reputation! And I think my gamble paid off! Going totally modern, with active crossovers and matched Class D amps in a modern, professinally designed ATL cabinet really worked!

and they look like a million bucks! see for yourself guys:

2e1810o.jpg

here is a close up!

25s4b4i.jpg

Congrats, Manav! I saw the pics on Facebook too, just now.

They look gorgeous, and look like they mean business at the same time! I personally think the matte finish looks better than glossy finish would have.

Detailed listening impressions once you recover, please! :p

Congrats Malvai

They look cool. Are the amps inside the cabinets?

Guys!
and they look like a million bucks! see for yourself guys:

here is a close up!

They look lovely Manav, leave them matte finished. Change to spikes on footers.

Kudos Kanwar :clapping:

More pics of the rear please, would like to see pics of the amps/x-overs. TIA!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back