System with Altec 604-8G drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Altec 604 8G drivers finally!

Manav bro congrats...!!!

The best way to go is active XO, to extract max performance out of them.

Kanwar! Buddy! What's the way forward bro???

Update:
Have been reading and researching and talking... it seems going the typical way of pairing the Altecs to a SET amp is not going to float my boat...

As I really like detail, dynamics etc... I would need headroom to play the kinda music I really like... so.....

Here is what I am going in for-

1. A professional ATL design (to be created by Kanwar using treated Sheesham, Teak and Deodar Strips)...
2. Active XO's (again Kanwar's R&D)
3. Bi-amp: 20wpc Class A (each) for the HF, 100WPC Class A (each) for the LF

For the pre-amp I am going to look at options like ARC Ref 3 or Ref 5 depending on funds...

I guess I will have to sell my current rig to fund this!

More later....

Reactions: arj

Prem you actually set me thinking this through a little differently, and then later, Trittiya.

Plus, I have the highest regard for Kanwar's abilities... so it just all came together as a very nice, do-able idea!

So a new direction is being taken for the amplification! Am going for Class D that are bung specifically implemented for the altec by Kanwar. He has a very extremely different implementation from the ICE (bad implementation) board and also from the Hypex (good one!).

As per him, this new implementation will not only be energy efficinet (I really do care about my carbon footprint) and will be just as good as the class a option in terms of sq. he currently fine tuning the implementation and is almost in the completion stage!

This is getting more and more exciting!

Class D will sound very good. Rethm sounds great with the Hypex

Thanx Prem! Hope this gamble pays off!

Manav Bro,

Congrats on going old school :D

The fun begins with the synergistic concept of old with new :thumbsup:
Hybrid of sorts :lol:

BTW the 'Gamble' is for both parties involved ;)

Hope it is a huge success

Best Wishes

True that. But then, doing things differently always is a gamble, and knowing kanwar's abilities, it's not really a gamble. However sound being subjective, you know how it is!

@prem: suggest a good valve pre-amp?

I was thinking if the EAR 868 or a used AR REF 3...

Hi Malvai

What is the objective? How much gain do you want? Or are you looking at a preamp for inputs?

Prem, it's mostly for inputs... And a lil gain... I like detail ... The EAR amp is pretty good for that...

A passive like the Pass B1 would be a good option. EAR is voiced. Wait for Kanwars amp to come. See how a tube pre sounds with it.

ummmm denom.... for my Altec enclosures.... and for your DAC review for the new DAC that u bought but, famously never made good on ;)

ummmm denom.... for my Altec enclosures.... and for your DAC review for the new DAC that u bought but, famously never made good on ;)

:lol: nice one bro :eek:hyeah:

Best wishes for your altec build & hope you enjoy them ASAP, minus the even longer wait :p

Hi Malvai,

Just a thought, have you considered Open Baffles? If you have the space then the JE Labs open baffles are a great option.

Looking forward to Kanwar's amp for this. Hope I can visit next time I am in dilli for an audition.

B Rgds,
Raj.

Rajagopal, open baffles won't work as well for this.... The altec 604 8g as it is gives out less bass...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back