System with Altec 604-8G drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

malvai

Banned
Banned
Hi Guys!
I finally got the 604 8G drivers in my hands!

these are lightly used and bought from a friend who got them in MINT / NOS condition last year!

Will post the pictures soon!

Can someone help me with schematics of a good TL or any other design that is not too wide? I don't mind extra height, but width is a problem beyond 18 inches....

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Altec 604 8G drivers finally!

All the best with your build...guess you already have pinged Rajiv, Santhosh and Vinay...

I call dibs on the Renaissance :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Hi,

Congratulations.:clapping::clapping:

Can someone help me with schematics of a good TL or any other design that is not too wide? I don't mind extra height, but width is a problem beyond 18 inches....

Lots of designs on the net. I would suggest at least 24 inches width for the cabinet. These drivers do not sound their best in narrow baffle cabinets.

How about something like the Shindo Latour?

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=s...DB4P-rAe63YHACw&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=571

What crossover are you planning to use?

Regards
Rajiv

Gratz!

True, it would not be ideal to put them in a narrow baffle. But I would not be shy to try it. At worst you will waste a cabinet. At best, you will have a speaker that will be a great fit in your room.

Manav,

Congrats on your acquisition. Last week I was at Vinay's place and he was restoring an huge Altec. The cabinet was much bigger than the Tannoys and weighted a ton. He is the DIY Guru, call him. ;)

--
helium= HTPC Asus Xonar ST + Sansui Au-317 + Luxman M-06a + Magnepan. For sale: Polk Audio LSi9/ Vintage B&W Dm4

Wow!! eagerly waiting to see them up and running. All the very best for the build. Now, after the Lenco L75, this may be my next milestone.

Hi,

Congratulations.:clapping::clapping:

Lots of designs on the net. I would suggest at least 24 inches width for the cabinet. These drivers do not sound their best in narrow baffle cabinets.

How about something like the Shindo Latour?

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=s...DB4P-rAe63YHACw&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=571

What crossover are you planning to use?

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,
Point taken... on the baffle width...
I am open on crossover suggestions... The typical recommendation is for Jeff Markwarts crossover... what do you recommend???

Manav,

Congrats on your acquisition. Last week I was at Vinay's place and he was restoring an huge Altec. The cabinet was much bigger than the Tannoys and weighted a ton. He is the DIY Guru, call him. ;)

--
helium= HTPC Asus Xonar ST + Sansui Au-317 + Luxman M-06a + Magnepan. For sale: Polk Audio LSi9/ Vintage B&W Dm4

I know about the "huge" Altec... also, originally the 604 8G that I now have was imported by Vinay... and sold to the same guy for whom Vinay is making the "huge" alter Cabinets...

Apparently, my drivers have not even been 'burned in"....

Hi,

I am open on crossover suggestions... The typical recommendation is for Jeff Markwarts crossover... what do you recommend???

Manav, I use the Jeff Markwart crossovers with my Altecs and they sound very good. However, there are other options which also get favourable comments from users that you could explore.

The Mastering Labs crossover is also reputed to sound very good. They designed crossovers for the Tannoys and Altecs which are rated highly(I have no experience with these crossovers) and sell for a lot of money today.

http://www.rintelen.ch/download/604xover_SP.pdf

Regards
Rajiv

Beautiful speakers!

Once they used to sell just the cabinets ( Japanese cherry) and during my single driver quest before my tannoys was thinking on these lines too
Appears I'm a sucker for Japanese audio, food :)

Once they used to sell just the cabinets ( Japanese cherry) and during my single driver quest before my tannoys was thinking on these lines too
Appears I'm a sucker for Japanese audio, food :)
They make beautiful amps too, saw a review of them on 6moons a while back. Japanese hifi guys do red lacquer like no one else can!!

This is OT, but given that India is one of the largest manufacturers of shellac, has anyone on the forum tried lacquering speaker cabinets?

Rajiv, thanks for the links!

I think I am going to go for the 620 type cabinet in Solid Wood -- Sheesham... put the cabinet on rollers (to make it a wee bit easy to move them, when needed!)...

Altec 604 8G drivers finally!

Rajiv, thanks for the links!

I think I am going to go for the 620 type cabinet in Solid Wood -- Sheesham... put the cabinet on rollers (to make it a wee bit easy to move them, when needed!)...

:) but try to put a grill like this (from Rajivs post)
top.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back