Tada!!!! Tada!!!! Amazon India is getting birth tomorrow

Its directly linking to amazon US site, after which the Shipping charges and taxes are added. Not much use. Same as ordering from Amazon US.

I wonder why they came up with the name Junglee! Amazon forest= junglee? I mean most of the early adopters of amazon india site would be people who are familiar with the amazon brand!

Its directly linking to amazon US site, after which the Shipping charges and taxes are added. Not much use. Same as ordering from Amazon US.

if this is the case, then there is nothing much to be excited about. Infact I now have my doubts on how successful this venture will be for amazon.

if we manage to get imports (say from their other sites) at a cheaper shipping costs, then it makes sense.

I wonder why they came up with the name Junglee! Amazon forest= junglee? I mean most of the early adopters of amazon india site would be people who are familiar with the amazon brand!

IIRC, junglee.com was yet another dot com to mushroom during the 'dot com era' started by 4 Indians. This was later bought by amazon from some insane price like $400mn or something...

I thought it was fully assimilated into amazon. wonder why they are relaunching it as the Indian arm...

soulforged, Okay, but why would they use a barely know junglee brand instead of their own widely known brandname. Even ebay bought baazee.com initially, but the end product was ebay.in.

This makes it completely useless.

[Can I buy products on Junglee?

You cannot buy directly from Junglee. Junglee puts you in touch with sellers by directing you to their websites, displaying their customer service phone numbers and providing their physical store locations to help you buy the products directly from sellers.]

Cheers

''pathetic'' is my first experience....tried buying a pair Polk speakers..

Junglee site says, 'This item ships through the Amazon Global Program. Amazon Global provides duty and tax estimation during checkout, as well as customs clearance by the courier on your behalf for certain eligible countries' (Not sure what this certain eligible countries) :mad:

when i added the speakers on to my cart and went to check out, amazon.com website says
"We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order"..

hope to see there is real 'Global Program' from Amazon soon...

cheers..
Vadiraj

is it because of the entry barriers on FDI in retail??? but then how did ebay get in? this is not making any sense...is it?

''pathetic'' is my first experience....tried buying a pair Polk speakers..

Junglee site says, 'This item ships through the Amazon Global Program. Amazon Global provides duty and tax estimation during checkout, as well as customs clearance by the courier on your behalf for certain eligible countries' (Not sure what this certain eligible countries) :mad:

when i added the speakers on to my cart and went to check out, amazon.com website says
"We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order"..

hope to see there is real 'Global Program' from Amazon soon...

cheers..
Vadiraj
I think method is like-
Select item in junglee.com, then click amazon link in junglee.com[visit Amazon.com], now you see the same seller,add to cart & you can see final price.
I tried with Velodyne SW-

Original price $299,final price $492.35.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Polk speakers can be ordered as-

With promo code,price can be less.Only we cant see in Rupees.:)

Last edited:
''pathetic'' is my first experience....

Isn't that a little harsh. Starting a new retail operation on Amazon's scale, esp in a country like India, is hard work. They have been doing behind the scene work for quite some time. They have been hiring aggressively in Hyd for their back-end operation (Insider info) and I know at least one manufacturer who was approached by them to sell his products on Amazon.

I see this move more as a 'testing the waters' strategy before the real thing happens. Grapevine has it that they tried hard to buy Flipkart but the owners refused to give in. I had had a chat (a few years ago) about this with a friend who works for Amazon and he told me that Amazon wasn't confident they could maintain the SLAs in India.

All in all, I am happy they started. I do hope that they will start warehouse/fulfillment centers in India sometime soon.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back