Tamil film music in Chennai

srramanujam

I am visiting Chennai towards the end of this month. I am keen to collect a handful of Tamil Film CDs (Ilayaraja, Rehman).

My intention is to junk all the MP3s that i have (and not using since i lost my nomad last year) and switch to good quality recordings of these two music directors.

Can you suggest titles that i should buy and the best place. Landmark is the only place i checked last time and was quite disappointed at the spread. The world seems to be moving irreversibly towards streamed and downloaded music.

I prefer compilations, uniformly good single film CDs will also do (like Sindhu Bhairavi, Pudhiya Mugam or Salangai Oli for example).

Regards

Landmark is really bad, only MP3 rips last time I visited Chennai. PM "murali_n" and "venkatcr", they will help you.

I am visiting Chennai towards the end of this month. I am keen to collect a handful of Tamil Film CDs (Ilayaraja, Rehman).

My intention is to junk all the MP3s that i have (and not using since i lost my nomad last year) and switch to good quality recordings of these two music directors.

Can you suggest titles that i should buy and the best place. Landmark is the only place i checked last time and was quite disappointed at the spread. The world seems to be moving irreversibly towards streamed and downloaded music.

I prefer compilations, uniformly good single film CDs will also do (like Sindhu Bhairavi, Pudhiya Mugam or Salangai Oli for example).

Regards

Some of the out of the way shops seem to have good collections - very unexpectedly. I visited Connections in Velachery and was pleasantly surprised. I was mainly looking for classicals and vocals but cinema music is also represented quite well there.

AVM zone near Music Academy might also be a good bet. Landmark Nungambakkam - in my opinion - has a better collection and ambience than the Spencers Plaza one.

"out of the way places".

Cant seem closer. I need to be in Velachery, so that suits fine. Sound Zone has this annoying habit of organising their collections by music labels. One needs to see several racks for the same artist. Suits my preference in classical music though, since the recordings of some labels are terrible.

Regards

I usually frequent a small shop in Adyar. He has a huge collection of Tamil and Carnatic audio as well as Tamil videos. In addition he has thousands of songs on his computer and can cut a CD with ANY song you specify. His recording is very good. He has all three that you specified - Sindhu Bhairavi, Pudhiya Mugam and Salangai Oli.

In the recent past he has also started keeping old Hindi Film DVDs to my utter delight. I picked up Navrang from him today. Remember - 'Ada Hai Chandrama, Raat Aadi Rehana Jai Teri Meri Baat Aadi....'?

New Music India
7/4, Lattice Bridge Road
(Adyar Junction)
Adyar
Chennai - 600 020

2491 8672, 2490 0082

His shop is just below the Adyar flyover.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat. If i remember correctly, this is on the left hand side as once is going towards Thiruvanmiyur. I used to stay nearabouts for a year or so, and most of my well earned money at that time was spent in this shop. I once spent a third of my salary in buying a 3 CD Pyramid compilation of AR Rehman. That was the heaviest luggage i carried in my mind in life. CDs were being priced in those times for daylight robbery, and now they are almost vanishing from the scene. Glad to know some of these guys are still going strong. I had assumed that shops like Rhythm House(Bombay) will close one day with the onslaught of MP3, but they seem to have a niche life. I remember another well stocked english music shop in Vellore completely incongruous with the general tastes of the city. Hope he is still open.

The trip to Chennai is getting packed with a lot of music items in the agenda and i am already feeling good about it.

Hi venkat,

What format he has on his computer? Can he cut an audio cd or mp3?

Thanks,
sri

What format he has on his computer? Can he cut an audio cd or mp3?

He cuts whatever format you want. I always get Redbook CD format. I suspect he has all files in WAV format. I plan to check as I am going to give him an order for some 500 songs from 1960 to late 1980s. I have asked him to take me to his studio and see how he cuts the CDs.

Cheers

He cuts whatever format you want. I always get Redbook CD format. I suspect he has all files in WAV format. I plan to check as I am going to give him an order for some 500 songs from 1960 to late 1980s. I have asked him to take me to his studio and see how he cuts the CDs.

Cheers

Sounds good. Any idea if he has a catalog and if he does courier?

I usually frequent a small shop in Adyar. He has a huge collection of Tamil and Carnatic audio as well as Tamil videos. In addition he has thousands of songs on his computer and can cut a CD with ANY song you specify. His recording is very good. He has all three that you specified - Sindhu Bhairavi, Pudhiya Mugam and Salangai Oli.

In the recent past he has also started keeping old Hindi Film DVDs to my utter delight. I picked up Navrang from him today. Remember - 'Ada Hai Chandrama, Raat Aadi Rehana Jai Teri Meri Baat Aadi....'?

New Music India
7/4, Lattice Bridge Road
(Adyar Junction)
Adyar
Chennai - 600 020

2491 8672, 2490 0082

His shop is just below the Adyar flyover.

Cheers

I am sure I have been to this shop. The only thing I have not been aware of is that he cuts CDs with songs on request. I have got to try this one out for sure. Does he also stock Fusion albums, instrumentals, Jazz etc.?

Thanks venkat. If he can give in Redbook CD format it is great news.
How much will you be spending on this 500 songs? We may ask him to make 2 copies:) .

cheers,
sri

Moserw said:
Sounds good. Any idea if he has a catalog and if he does courier?

Unfortunately he is not that organised. If you can provide a list of songs I am sure he can cut them and courier them.

thevortex said:
Does he also stock Fusion albums, instrumentals, Jazz etc.?

He does, and you can always ask him to get whatever CD you want.

srikarkav said:
How much will you be spending on this 500 songs? We may ask him to make 2 copies .

He charges 120 per CD and roughly 10 songs per CD. So that works out to Rs.6K. Yes I can certainly ask him to make two copies. Only thing is will you like the songs I choose?

Cheers

Ramanujam:

If you are buying Tamil film music, some really nice numbers have been released over the last few weeks. I am showing below a list of songs you could take with you. If you are in Chennai for a few days, contact the shop I told you about and he will record these songs for you. Wherever I could, I have mentioned the film name within brackets. On a good system, these songs sound good. Song No 15 has some lovely guitar and mixture of Tamil and English words in a pleasant song.

1) Munbe Vaa En Anbe Vaa
2) Siragugal Vandhadhu Engoo Sella
3) Maalai Nerum, Mazahi Thoorum Kaalm, En Jennal Orum Nirukiren (Ayyrathil Oruvan)
4) Hey Vetrilvela, Namba Aatam Than Egiruthu (Paddikathavan)
5) Aedho Seygiraai, Enna Aedho Seygiraai
6) Sandeepoma Oru Murai Sandeepoma
7) Din Din Dara, Din Din Dara Kaadla Vandhudhe
8) Nalam Dhaana, Nalam Dhana Udalum Ullamum Nalam Dhaana (Modern version)
9) Divya O Divya, Nee Nadamadum Nile Nadhiya
10) Ae Aatha Aathoruma Variya, Naa Paththa Paakamale Poriya
11) Aval Appadi Onrum Azhag Illai, Avalukku Yaarum Inai Illai
12) Paadhi Kaadhal, Paadhi Muththam Porathu Porathu
13) Minnalai Piduthu, Minnalai Piduthu Megathai Koduththu, Pennaium Padaiththu
14) Nenjjukul Nee Nirukirai Penna
15) Vellaikari, Vellaikari, Kattilmele Kollaikari, Everybody Knows You Got My Loving Baby, O Sajuna (This has some really good guitar number)
16) Mazhai Mazhai, En Ulgathil Addikum Mudhal Mazhai
17) Melliname, Melliname, Nejjile Mellina Kaadhal Pookum
18) Mazhai Inru Varuma Varuma, Kulir Koncham Tharuma Tharuma
19) Pala Palakkum Pagalani.
20) Thottal Poo Malarum, Thodaamal Naa Malardhen
21) Pallanadhe Pallanadhe, Yaar Kaizhilum Sikkadhe Pallanadhe
22) Mambo Maamiya, Kaadhal Oru Peyiiya, Tsunami Pola Oru Dhaagam Vandhuchu (Kandaswamy)

Cheers

Some more, most of them will have good low freq.

1. Uyirile By Naresh Iyer - Vellithirai
2. Udhaya Udhaya - Udhaya
3. Oru Vetkam Varudhe -Pasanaga
4. Kadhal Siluvayil Araidhaal Ennai - Subramaniyapuram
5. Kangal Irandal - Subramaniyapuram
6. Sexy Lady - Ninaithale Inikkum
7. Adiyae Kolluthey - Vaaranam Aayiram
8. Mundhinam - Vaaranam Aayiram
9. Minnal Kothadum - Pollathavan
10. Enadhuyirae - Bheema
11. Oh! Baby - Yaaradi Nee Mohini
12. Mudhal Murai - Adhe Neram Adhe Idam
13. Pichaipaathiram - Naan Kadavu
14. Anbae En Anbae - Dhaam Dhoom
15. Nee Marilyn Monroe - Azhagiya Tamizh Magan
16. Thonkatha Vizhi - Agni Natchathiram
17. Kannum Kannum Nokia - Anniyan
18. Katrin Mozhiye
19. Konjum manjal - Ullasam
20. Hasili Fisiliye - Aadhavan:p

Cheers

Ramanujam:

If you are buying Tamil film music, some really nice numbers have been released over the last few weeks. I am showing below a list of songs you could take with you. If you are in Chennai for a few days, contact the shop I told you about and he will record these songs for you. Wherever I could, I have mentioned the film name within brackets. On a good system, these songs sound good. Song No 15 has some lovely guitar and mixture of Tamil and English words in a pleasant song.

1) Munbe Vaa En Anbe Vaa
2) Siragugal Vandhadhu Engoo Sella
3) Maalai Nerum, Mazahi Thoorum Kaalm, En Jennal Orum Nirukiren (Ayyrathil Oruvan)
4) Hey Vetrilvela, Namba Aatam Than Egiruthu (Paddikathavan)
5) Aedho Seygiraai, Enna Aedho Seygiraai
6) Sandeepoma Oru Murai Sandeepoma
7) Din Din Dara, Din Din Dara Kaadla Vandhudhe
8) Nalam Dhaana, Nalam Dhana Udalum Ullamum Nalam Dhaana (Modern version)
9) Divya O Divya, Nee Nadamadum Nile Nadhiya
10) Ae Aatha Aathoruma Variya, Naa Paththa Paakamale Poriya
11) Aval Appadi Onrum Azhag Illai, Avalukku Yaarum Inai Illai
12) Paadhi Kaadhal, Paadhi Muththam Porathu Porathu
13) Minnalai Piduthu, Minnalai Piduthu Megathai Koduththu, Pennaium Padaiththu
14) Nenjjukul Nee Nirukirai Penna
15) Vellaikari, Vellaikari, Kattilmele Kollaikari, Everybody Knows You Got My Loving Baby, O Sajuna (This has some really good guitar number)
16) Mazhai Mazhai, En Ulgathil Addikum Mudhal Mazhai
17) Melliname, Melliname, Nejjile Mellina Kaadhal Pookum
18) Mazhai Inru Varuma Varuma, Kulir Koncham Tharuma Tharuma
19) Pala Palakkum Pagalani.
20) Thottal Poo Malarum, Thodaamal Naa Malardhen
21) Pallanadhe Pallanadhe, Yaar Kaizhilum Sikkadhe Pallanadhe
22) Mambo Maamiya, Kaadhal Oru Peyiiya, Tsunami Pola Oru Dhaagam Vandhuchu (Kandaswamy)

Cheers

Venkat, Would be great if you can also tell the movie names along with these songs.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Back in the 90s i used to record singles to CD from a shop in Alsa Mall. If only we had some charts like billboard in Tamil, it would've been great for PPM(people with poor memory)like me to instantly recollect some of the favourite tamil singles.

Thanks Venkat and Neveen

My memory of tamil film songs stands frozen as on 1996 when i moved to Bombay and simply lost touch with tamil film music. I am no great movie watcher (last i saw was Kandukonden Kandukonden) but music tends to float around in tea stalls and fm and i could keep upto date till then.

I am trying to rekindle that interest and many thanks for the suggestions.

Venkat - Would also appreciate if you could share the collection that are planning to cut from him. I may do a +1 if it sounds good.

Ram

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back