Tatasky and Dolby digital plus

[email protected]

Dear members,

I was comparing Airtel hd and tatasky hd set top box.

In Airtel when star movies hd channel broadcast latest movies, most of the time the "available in Dolby digital plus" notification used to pop up.

Whereas with tatasky hd box, I have never seen such notifications. What can be the reason?

I have just installed tatasky, and I have ensured the settings for hdmi is Dolby digital plus.

Hi,

I have a Videocon DTH connection and it also pops Dolby Digital sign for some serials and movies.

It does not matter - if your Home theatre AVR is displaying Dolby Digital you can be assured it is streaming in Dolby Digital with proper settings for output thru HDMI

Okay, here is what I have experienced.

Few days back, I have changed Tata Sky audio settings to PCM (Organizer > Sound Setting) after that I have never seen that Pop-Up, but I noticed that all channels are in stereo (not 5.1) even HD channels were not in 5.1 (I know Zee Cinema, &Pictures audio is not 5.1 but even Star Movies, MN+ or Star Gold etc were producing 2 channel audio in direct mode of AVR) so I changed back Dolby Digital audio setting in Tata Sky again. And guess what happened.
Now I was getting Dolby Digital Plus Pop-Up and 5.1 audio (Pure Direct) on selected channels as telecast.

Okay, here is what I have experienced.

Few days back, I have changed Tata Sky audio settings to PCM (Organizer > Sound Setting) after that I have never seen that Pop-Up, but I noticed that all channels are in stereo (not 5.1) even HD channels were not in 5.1 (I know Zee Cinema, &Pictures audio is not 5.1 but even Star Movies, MN+ or Star Gold etc were producing 2 channel audio in direct mode of AVR) so I changed back Dolby Digital audio setting in Tata Sky again. And guess what happened.
Now I was getting Dolby Digital Plus Pop-Up and 5.1 audio (Pure Direct) on selected channels as telecast.

Thanks for sharing. I have this Tatasky hd stb bought for 1500?. Hope you also have the same and price must be around 2000? as you have it already.

Hope after some firmware or software update I will also start to get the popup. But as of today though I have chosen Dolby digital plus as the preferred audio on hdmi I receive only Dolby digital

There is one more observation. In Airtel for some hd movies I get 24p type of picture quality. With Tatasky that is also missing.

Note: I tried to manually update the software. It did install for some 5 mint. But did not see any difference

Forget about popup it is coming from broadcaster.where as about Dolby digital plus..Only ADTV is providing DD+ sounf doe some star HD channels where as TS and d2h only providing Dolby digital only.Personally i am saying ADTV sound is so superior than TS.

I think that in Tata Sky not all channels provide DD or DD+ output. As far as I remember, PIX HD does not show the Dolby Digital icon.

I think that in Tata Sky not all channels provide DD or DD+ output. As far as I remember, PIX HD does not show the Dolby Digital icon.

Is it the channel or the service provider which will decide the audio?
Watched "China - View From Above" yesterday on NG in DD+. Good sound definitely.

Correction.... The movie channels that do not show up DD or DD+ are &pictures HD and Zee Cinema HD.

Pix HD shows Dolby Digital.

I am not sure who decides the audio.

Moshel, I am sure PIX HD shows DD. I still remember I watched an amazing flick of Denzel Washington on PIX HD "The Equalizer" & the background score was SUPERB & DD gave the full justice.

As far as DD+ is concerned (in Tata SKy), I think its limited to Nat. Georgraphic or may be Discovery. That's it. Rest HD channels are either DD or may be a level lower than DD (e.g. &TV, Zee TV, Zee Cinema, etc).

Recently I see one channel in Tatasky which gives DD+.

yes.Now tata sky is providing DD+ for most of the HD channels.But still sound hasn't good comparing to ADTV.so up and downs in channels volume and you wont get proper surround in low volume.if you change another channel the volume lever will be increased or decreased.Which is annoying.In ADTV Dolby sound is so good you can feel like you are watching movie in Theater.volume very well maintained even in Non dolby HD channels.Proper bass,Trabil and surround coming in ADTV.if you want good AQ and PQ ADTV is the only one option now.I am using both connections and saying it with my own experience.

Moshel, I am sure PIX HD shows DD. I still remember I watched an amazing flick of Denzel Washington on PIX HD "The Equalizer" & the background score was SUPERB & DD gave the full justice.

As far as DD+ is concerned (in Tata SKy), I think its limited to Nat. Georgraphic or may be Discovery. That's it. Rest HD channels are either DD or may be a level lower than DD (e.g. &TV, Zee TV, Zee Cinema, etc).

No Bro.tata sky is giving DD+ in almost in all HD channels.only it is not added in recent addition of HD channels eg Mtv indies HD.we all know only star network HD channels are providing DD + frpm broadcaster end but TS has manually added DD+ sound for rest of the channels.PIX HD and all rest of the Movie channels giving DD+ only in HDMI option.

Correction.... The movie channels that do not show up DD or DD+ are &pictures HD and Zee Cinema HD.

Pix HD shows Dolby Digital.

I am not sure who decides the audio.

& Pictires Hd and zee cinema HD are from Zee network and both doesn't have DD sound from broadcaster end.Recently they have added DD sound for zee TV HD and @TV HD already have DD sound.Zee cienma HD recently tested DD sound from broadcasters end and now removed.But I am sure the channel will provide DD sound very soon same as @Pictures HD too.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back