testing newly bought tweeters/woofers

soundnovice

hi all,
how can i test newly bought tweeters and woofers?
i am not sure but i think i can just connect woofer to amp out (with no Xover in between) at very low power. with a max. of 20watts of power into woofer which is rated at 60watts nominal and 90watts max. it should not be a problem. right?
not sure how to test tweeters as i read that low freq. signals can damage tweeter. pls guide me in this regard, tweeters max power is rated at 40watts.

thanks,
pranam

Woofer can be connected directly as it can handle high & lows,but tweeter cant be as highs can damage them.

hi all,
how can i test newly bought tweeters and woofers?
i am not sure but i think i can just connect woofer to amp out (with no Xover in between) at very low power. with a max. of 20watts of power into woofer which is rated at 60watts nominal and 90watts max. it should not be a problem. right?
not sure how to test tweeters as i read that low freq. signals can damage tweeter. pls guide me in this regard, tweeters max power is rated at 40watts.

thanks,
pranam

There is a software crossover available for foobar, you can use that to filter out undesired frequencies.

You can also download winisd and it has a frequency generator, just test it using appropriate frequencies. e.g. wooofer at 1k and tweeter at 10k.
If you are using cd player, you can download and burn frequency files from the net and play them.

woofer you can test this way, for tweeter, use a capacitor for protection. Use way lower power than it can handle for the woofer. for tweeter, without protection, even 0.5w might destroy it if wrong freq is given.

thanks borg and doors666.
as per the calc. in the link given by borg, i will connect 5.6uF in series with tweeter to get xover freq. at around 3.5KHz, which i believe is the safe cutoff for tweeter. what kind of cap. i should use? electrolytic i guess (as given in the link)

thanks borg and doors666.
as per the calc. in the link given by borg, i will connect 5.6uF in series with tweeter to get xover freq. at around 3.5KHz, which i believe is the safe cutoff for tweeter. what kind of cap. i should use? electrolytic i guess (as given in the link)

non polarized electro should be fine

Last edited:
i used signal gen. from WinISD software to generate 2.5kHz signal and fed into the tweeters (res.freq.of tweeter is 1700Hz). one tweeter was working fine while other was not sounding. does this mean tweeter is faulty? is there any other way to test?

i used signal gen. from WinISD software to generate 2.5kHz signal and fed into the tweeters (res.freq.of tweeter is 1700Hz). one tweeter was working fine while other was not sounding. does this mean tweeter is faulty? is there any other way to test?

Try using a multimeter to check resistance between the terminals. If there is no conductivity, the connection to voice coil could be broken.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back