The Altec605B takes off

http://mymilescity.com/diy-maintenance-repair/how_to_remove_rust.html

This is what I'll be doing. Looks good and anilva seems to have gone roughly the same route with success.

Now considering I can't use a wire brush inside the narrow throat I'm planning make do with a toothbrush or maybe just the emery paper.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/03/how-to-remove-rust-from-old-tools/

Simple scotchbrite should work too.

Also a video online about reconing suggested acetone for removing old rubber gasket that's sticking. Where do I get acetone or will lighter fluid be ok?

Last edited:
How to Remove Rust

This is what I'll be doing. Looks good and anilva seems to have gone roughly the same route with success.

Now considering I can't use a wire brush inside the narrow throat I'm planning make do with a toothbrush or maybe just the emery paper.

How To Remove Rust From Old Tools | Lifehacker Australia

Simple scotchbrite should work too.

Also a video online about reconing suggested acetone for removing old rubber gasket that's sticking. Where do I get acetone or will lighter fluid be ok?
Acetone is available at Vasa Scientific corp near Mysore bank Chickpet.

32824C6D-9568-41B7-9F89-24EA65D29A25-313-0000002C24B54BFA.jpg

Got the rust remover, wire brushes from murthy and silicon also for the RCM build.

Thanks anilva, I think that is where I had got my isopropyl alcohol from. Apparently medical stores are supposed to have them let's see.

@quad some research with the beauties in office revealed that I need to be getting nail polish remover which comes in acetone and non acetone based :)

Last edited:
752F64EC-FC6C-422C-AE17-AF35A22794F4-499-0000008DF98F9CEC.jpg

Overall the WD40 works better. Sprays on better too with more control so keeping it localized is easier. Needs a bit more soaking and scrubbing but it's working nicely.

Stevie, bro you work fast :)
How about moderately dabbing the only metal parts with wd40/vinegar and keeping it overnight and next day again applying it and scrubbing the rust away.*
regards
* above idea is because of me being little lazy. :D

Thanks Hiten,

Can't keep overnight cos the throat has to be angled and then the solution will run all over. Soaking of ten mins removes some then resoak longer 20 mins or with scrub cycles. the throat is gonna take much longer!

Regards

One question for Rajiv and Anilva,

Cleaned out the voice coil gap spent half an hour on it using tons of strips of masking tape and a couple of strips with acetone on them. Checked with a light seems to be clearing up but not sure if the magnet itself is rusted on the side. Was thinking of putting a bit of wd40 inside to soak while the driver is angled a bit down from level so it does not run more inside and emery paper scrub. Scrubbing upside down so debris falls out. Any ideas on how else to tackle rust on the inside edge?

Regards

One question for Rajiv and Anilva,

Cleaned out the voice coil gap spent half an hour on it using tons of strips of masking tape and a couple of strips with acetone on them. Checked with a light seems to be clearing up but not sure if the magnet itself is rusted on the side. Was thinking of putting a bit of wd40 inside to soak while the driver is angled a bit down from level so it does not run more inside and emery paper scrub. Scrubbing upside down so debris falls out. Any ideas on how else to tackle rust on the inside edge?

Regards

The AlNiCo magnets should not rust as there is no Fe in that combination. You can put generous amounts of WD40 and can drain out. Even if traces are left out, IMO there is no danger. Go ahead. Coating the inside rust with film of WD40 is not going to harm and will arrest further rusting.

Some progress finally! The voice coil gap still needs cleaning. But it's cleaning up well responding to dousing with liberal amounts of WD40. Still need to clean it up a bit more.

F3FDFE75-0AE6-4085-A2F9-570C12D4E20B-346-0000000D02FAA9F1.jpg

B13F2D63-2C48-46F3-BAD4-D005E7B3DEE4-346-0000000CB24D2B40.jpg

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back