The Bristol hifi show - 2023

@Nikhil , Yes those drivers are really capable. Really liked the sound. It can do bass very well so appropriate room size need to be considered.

@kratu , yes they are indeed from Cube audio.

Townshend audio platforms were in use by many manufacturers at the show. They however had their own room to showcase their well known seismic platforms, podiums etc. The demo was an eyeopener. The speakers were the Kerr acoustic K320.

Once issues with basic setup are sorted out, ( speaker positioning, seating position, cables, basic acoustic problems etc) products like these become important.
TNSWND1.jpg
TNSHND2.jpg
TNSHND3.jpg

The new NUVISTA PRE from Musical fidelity. This is their successful attempt at competing with the very best in the industry.
MF Nuvista pre.jpg

They also showcased a new high end turntable. This is a new release.
MF TT.jpg

Proac came with their top of the line speaker K10. It sounded like what a flagship speaker should sound like ! I have heard a few flagship speakers from the likes of Wilson audio, Focal, Audio vector, Fyne audio etc. Proacs does all the basic things that most of these speakers do but it does it with a certain beguiling personality that invites you to listen rather than being a very indifferent transducer of sound. Big sound with tight and prodigious bass foundation and formidable midrange presence and purity. If I had the same money to pick this one or a similar priced focal, I will pick this one! One of the best sounds at the show.

View attachment 75657
I am sure most of you know that this is the D’Appolito drivers arrangement that mimics the natural way of sound production where mid and highs come from the throat, not from the head. They sound similar to Tannoy’s concentric drivers, very engaging.

I meant, to mimic human throat, high/mid driver is installed at center of low frequency driver. A search on Tannoy dual-concentric would help. The Kefs and now Fyne, do the same.
I thought you were referring to the M-T-M driver arrangement which is different from a coax. arrangement.
I guess these are not for folks who listen to tracks without vocals. 🤣

Wilson Benesch demonstrated a full system with A.C.T 3zero loudspeakers and IGx Infrasonic Generator. The subwoofer system is integral to the speaker system making it a really full range sounding one. I would say this was one of the most technically competent ( and brilliant) system at the show. Not as inviting as the proac system though. I guess it is a matter of taste.
w and b 1.jpg
w and b 2.jpg

The hifi rose integrated amplifier was a favourite among many in the crowd. The Nagra look is a hit! I heard it on a system and it sounded quite nice. Quite a contender for top honours at the 5000 uk pound price levels. The HiFi Rose RA180 ( pic ) and their new streamer was on show.
HIFI Rose.jpg

Harbeth did something that is a sign of things to come! That suitcase you see in the middle is an all DSP crossover / preamp system with amplifiers. So this is an all active loudspeaker. This was very surprising for a very traditional British company. The guy said that DSP halps a lot with the timing correction of the drivers among other things. All music that were acoustic in nature sounded very nice in this system.

Harbeth.jpg

Vivid hifi and Hifi Rose was an excellent combination. It was one of those small and simple systems that made your foot tap. Excellent timing and clean sound. Just enough warmth to keep the sound inviting as well. A very good option for people trying to assemble a simple high end sounding system consisting of a bookshelf speaker and an integrated amp. The speakers had a dynamic kick to the bass that I wont forget so fast.
vivid.jpg

Harbeth did something that is a sign of things to come! That suitcase you see in the middle is an all DSP crossover / preamp system with amplifiers. So this is an all active loudspeaker. This was very surprising for a very traditional British company. The guy said that DSP halps a lot with the timing correction of the drivers among other things. All music that were acoustic in nature sounded very nice in this system.

View attachment 75740
Dsp + active is really the future. Deqx of Australia has been an advocate of time coherent speaker processors for some time now.

Vivid hifi and Hifi Rose was an excellent combination. It was one of those small and simple systems that made your foot tap. Excellent timing and clean sound. Just enough warmth to keep the sound inviting as well. A very good option for people trying to assemble a simple high end sounding system consisting of a bookshelf speaker and an integrated amp. The speakers had a dynamic kick to the bass that I wont forget so fast.
I am looking at this, YG acoustics Cairn or Magico A1 as a speaker upgrade for my 2nd system. Plan to audition all 3 down the road.
Cheers,
Sid

I thought you were referring to the M-T-M driver arrangement which is different from a coax. arrangement.
I guess these are not for folks who listen to tracks without vocals. 🤣
I am not getting it. What’s a M-T-M driver arrangement and what does it do well?

@square_wave, thanks for such detailed reporting from the event. Especially made interesting with your observations and the pictures!

Is there a pavilion for entry-level systems? Anything new/interesting there?
Usually entry level systems don't make their way to the shows because of the cost vs benefit involved for the brands and the fact that people will tend to judge the sound against what they hear in another room.
However, there were some rooms showing of their portable audio systems like Ruark audio. They are usually setup in noisy areas for people to peruse through their gear rather than listen.
Btw, Ruark audio have such great history and were making some really good hifi in the past. The talisman was very popular in the past. They are making only blutooth kinda systems now.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back