The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy Blu-ray

Hi All LOTR fans, this trilogy is coming out in early July precisely on 28th June....I am thinking to buy it...Don't know if i need to import from US or buy here...If anyone has more info about this please share it....

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy Blu-ray: Extended Editions

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy Reviews: Buy English Blu-ray: Flipkart Movies

Sukhas

I would suggest to wait for a while before buying it as there is huge speculations going on over wrong colour timing and Excessive Green Tint. Let's wait for user reviews and see everything is OK.
By the way Better to Import from US as the Price Diff. is around 2K and packaging would be definitely better than what we get here.

+1 to idlebrain.

Buy the imported US extended version. Reasons:

1. US Edition usually have extra discs and material not usually included in others - others include the feature film and some basic extra material.
2. US Edition will be cheaper.

As idlebrain said, if there is a "green tint" issue, it will be better to wait. Besides, initially the package will be costly. Just a couple of months down the line, price will be down. Afterall, this is not as if some movie that we have not seen.

Cost wise amazon has listed it as 84 dollars = 4200 + shipping charges....and flipkart is giving for 5100...

And i am already having extended edition dvds(12 dvds). And it had so much extra content which i think is the same as US stuff...

Now coming to blu ray Bluray.com has given as 6 BDs, 9 DVDs box set. if Reliance Home video is giving the same, i doubt there will be any difference between those...Yes we need to see what is inside this box set...

Yes it is not a new movie, but as a hard core LOTR fan, i am waiting for this Blu ray release for ever....

I am also a great fan of LOTR. I have the three individual theatre versions of the DVD - 6 DVDs (2 disks per pack). Then I purchased the extended versions in DVD - 12 DVDs. But I am not going to make Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema richer by spending another $84 for Blu-Ray. If the BD set is available for $20-35, I may think about it.

Cost wise amazon has listed it as 84 dollars = 4200 + shipping charges....and flipkart is giving for 5100...

And i am already having extended edition dvds(12 dvds). And it had so much extra content which i think is the same as US stuff...

Now coming to blu ray Bluray.com has given as 6 BDs, 9 DVDs box set. if Reliance Home video is giving the same, i doubt there will be any difference between those...Yes we need to see what is inside this box set...

Yes it is not a new movie, but as a hard core LOTR fan, i am waiting for this Blu ray release for ever....

Being an LOTR fan myself, I can understand the anxiety over the set, but still I suggest to wait at least a week after its release, by then we will be sure about the quality of BDs. I am saying this with Gladiator experience, if there is any disc replacement program due to any issues, we will left with buying altogether again. I don't think Indian stores will re send new copy or Warner brothers will honor our Imported copies.
I might sound over cautious but can't take chances with such an expensive set.

Last edited:
This is indeed wonderful news for all Tolkien and LOTR fans. But yea its better to wait and watch the reviews and then go for it. In any case if people are willing to wait a bit more im sure the prices will dip :)

There are some questions like why 9 DVDs in a Blu-ray set.
They could have included all these in 3 BDs. Possibly they don't want to spend time on that.

Secondly each movie is in 2 Blu-ray discs? It is justifiable only if they are not able to pack complete movie into one BD.

One speculation is they just made 2 BDs similar to 2 DVDs they release earlier and each movie could have released in a single disc.

It will be better to wait and read the review - then decide.

IMO, they should have released a complete BD set with each movie in one disc.

^^The first two movies are over 3.5 hours long and the last one is over 4 hours. How do you expect them to fit on a single BD without compromising on image/audio quality?

I would rather settle with downloads / DVD versions for the time being and wait for the two more versions of the LOTR coming up under the name HOBBITS in 2012 and later. I am sure there will be another box set published with all 5.

What is "green tint" thing mentioned earlier on this thread? I thought LOTR has that Scandinavian or Norse look in the entire movie. Isn't it supposed to be like that?

I am also an LOTR fan. But the extended version is too dragging and boring. Some of my friends said that even the theater version is boring which i won't agree in any way. However I'm also interested in having LOTR bluray disks in my collection.

I am also an LOTR fan. But the extended version is too dragging and boring. Some of my friends said that even the theater version is boring which i won't agree in any way. However I'm also interested in having LOTR bluray disks in my collection.

I have the extended version of DVD for last 3 yrs... I never found it boring..Yeah it depends on the individual.....Yeah it has a lot of details which could have removed...but still the war scenes were one of the best ever filmed......

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back