The Movies I Liked

Watched 'The Terminal' on the weekend. Excellent stuff and Tom Hanks comes up with a tremendous performance. Catherine Zeta Jones looks pretty in her small but significant role. I knew the plot before watching the movie but was in for a shock when came to know that it is based on a real story! Without giving away the plot, I would just like to assert that the original character (whom Tom Hanks portrayed) was in the same situation for about 18 years!

Avatar (2009) - IMDb - Yup an old movie, but this one is special because I caught the extended version on a PotPlayer + madVR + SVP running at 60fps combo.

I did see the original 3D version in IMAX back when it released, but subsequent viewings have all been limited to 2D and the released theatrical version. The extended version includes a few additional scenes, plus sweeping vistas of Pandora and more scenes... all details here - Avatar (2009) - Alternate Versions - IMDb.

Not much to talk about the movie, pretty sure everybody has seen it... but with the use of SVP @60fps I got to see it in HFR and probably the way James Cameron intended (I believe the sequels are being shot in HFR 4K 3D, but probably all conjecture at this point).

I highly recommend playing with SVP, it does take some getting used to, but once you do get used to the HFR there is no going back to ordinary TV and movies.

Also, a heads up on the extended version of Avatar as you get to see a little bit more of Pandora and some amazing panning shots and vistas in excellent HD. Now only if I could get this in 4K + SVP...

Jupiter Ascending (2015) - IMDb - Don't think too much about, grab popcorn, put on the glasses and lose yourself in a visual spectacle.

Its like Matrix, but on steroids and so much more bigger and ambitious. That said Mila is no Carrie?Anne Moss and Tatum is definitely not Keanu, but other than the movie is fun if you are willing to stop with the analysis and simply sit back to enjoy the ride.

Some amazing special FX, larger than life sets on CGI and good action make Jupiter Ascending an entertaining fare, plus there is the pretty Mila Kunis.

FURY ........ This movie is visually stunning, if you ask me I would probably put this right on top 3 all time war movie as far as visuals and technicalities is concerned. On a good Home Theatre like mine you will enjoy every bit of it. Needs a seriously power house of a woofer to compensate the tank bombing. The Tank battles are gruesome and very very tight and tensed. Where the movie lacks is the usual way of showing the only american POV and Germans become just another shoot m up baddies lining up to be killed. I dont like this approach. I dont know war history much but Germans were know to be experts in shrewdness and alertness. That is the reason I loved Black Hawk Down where even though the Americans were against just non trained, non soldiers common people, still they show how badly they screwed the american soldiers. They literally got their ass whipped in that movie. Same with Lone Ranger though I will say lone ranger was better than fury in that aspect.

Performance wise LeBeouf shows he can act, he is very good in this movie, rest character also play a decent role on give us that "Brothers in arms" feeling about the squad. Please do not watch this movie on a regular TV or worst laptop, you will not enjoy a single moment. This movie like Lone Ranger is made for HT. ..........7/10 for this one.

you must've watched Das Boot (director's cut or otherwise)?! although it doesn't show the 2 sides again, but the axis (Germans) this time (though in a situation and atmosphere like in the movie, wouldn't have mattered much if they were the crew of either the axis or the allied powers).

and did you mean Lone Ranger of 2012/13, and how the vigilantes get beat up amply, before accomplishing their mission? that's one of my favourite movies too!

Last edited:
had watched 'Aankhon Dekhi' and 'Let the right one in' the last week. would give 9/10 to both. these are the kinds of movies i like to watch more, non-chaotic, even paced, with subtlety/parables/subtle messages/to them, leaving the viewers to think about them long after they have finished.

you must've watched Das Boot (director's cut or otherwise)?! although it doesn't show the 2 sides again, but the axis (Germans) this time (though in a situation and atmosphere like in the movie, wouldn't have mattered much if they were the crew of either the axis or the allied powers).

and did you mean Lone Ranger of 2012/13, and how the vigilantes get beat up amply, before accomplishing their mission? that's one of my favourite movies too!

errrr I apologise I meant Lone Survivor not ranger. Ranger was not a war movie ...... sorry :eek:
....and I have yet to see Das Boot ....

errrr I apologise I meant Lone Survivor not ranger. Ranger was not a war movie ...... sorry :eek:
....and I have yet to see Das Boot ....

hehe. yes. though i thought because the main protagonists in Ranger get beaten up a lot, hence you liked the movie for its realistic portrayal.

haven't watched (or even read about) Lone Survivor. will watch.

P.S. - do watch Das Boot (director's cut).

John Wick - An average story but very good for sound effects and fight sequences. Surely, will rock your HT.

51xx1KKgQSL.jpg

John Wick - An average story but very good for sound effects and fight sequences. Surely, will rock your HT.

51xx1KKgQSL.jpg

I actually liked it... enjoyed a Keanu movie after a long time and even ordered the Blu-ray for it. Good SFX like you say.

Watched Jupiter Ascending this weekend. One word Horrible!
The plot has perforations that would make seem the diameter of Jupiter smaller. Crony dialogues and horrid acting. One of the worst Hollywood flicks in recent times. Tepid acting and weak script are just a couple more reasons why you shouldn't watch this. Senseless action and slow-mo takes are abundant. Bad bad movie.

Watched "The Good Lie" and really touched my heart. In the first part of movie, the life of Sudanese refugees was portrayed brilliantly and is very realistic. It is almost like real life documentary with real people around. Wonder how the director pulled out such thing such vividly. The storyline is brilliant and the climax is heart wrenching and touchy. A must watch!

IMDB link to The Good Lie

Whiplash

An absolute must watch. I did not find anything wrong with the movie at all. The pace was quite good, the music was awesome and the overall intensity was something which I did not expect at all. The finale is one of the most intense one that I have seen. Do watch the entire credit roll to enjoy the music.

Inception (2010) - IMDb - An old movie, but I'm doing all of my favorites on a new HTPC build with SVP.

If you've not seen it then do watch it immediately. Absolutely stunning visuals and a gripping story-line that keeps you interested and on the edge of your seat till the very end. Leo continues to be his usual exceptionally good self, and there are Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy, Ken Watanabe, and Cillian Murphy along for the ride, but the surprise here is Marion Cotillard who does a fine job of bringing on the chills. Ellen Page after the wonderful Juno is wasted. End of the day the movie belongs to Leonardo DiCaprio and Christopher Nolan who bring something spectacular to the big screen.

Inception (2010) - IMDb - An old movie, but I'm doing all of my favorites on a new HTPC build with SVP.

If you've not seen it then do watch it immediately. Absolutely stunning visuals and a gripping story-line that keeps you interested and on the edge of your seat till the very end. Leo continues to be his usual exceptionally good self, and there are Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy, Ken Watanabe, and Cillian Murphy along for the ride, but the surprise here is Marion Cotillard who does a fine job of bringing on the chills. Ellen Page after the wonderful Juno is wasted. End of the day the movie belongs to Leonardo DiCaprio and Christopher Nolan who bring something spectacular to the big screen.
I got the blu ray recently and cannot wait to watch it - i hear you need to give it a lot of attention, so waiting for some family-free time :)
On another note, I watched "Due Date" and almost died laughing. Zach Galifianakis is impossible. Guys - please let me know if you have suggestions on movies like this. I have the Hangover series too.

I got the blu ray recently and cannot wait to watch it - i hear you need to give it a lot of attention, so waiting for some family-free time :)
On another note, I watched "Due Date" and almost died laughing. Zach Galifianakis is impossible. Guys - please let me know if you have suggestions on movies like this. I have the Hangover series too.

Yes, Inception is special... but then you will probably watch it multiple times to catch what you missed so no issues with making time for it I'd say.

I was going to add Hangover... loved it myself. Saw Due Date in bits and parts (wife was watching and having a good time too)... should make time for watching it fully. For similar movies do check out all the comedies from Ben Stiller and Adam Sandler... maybe Jim Carrey though I'm personally not into his type of crude comedy.

Horrible Bosses (1 & 2), Bridesmaids are good, I also liked This Means War, Just Go with It, School of Rock... off the top of my head right now.

Boy!! are you obsessed with your SVP ...:D

Probably going to get worse once my Optoma is here. But I'm still not exactly satisfied... my Panny with 120Hz does a better job and I have a friend with a 120Hz monitor as part of a gaming rig that does both 2D and 3D so much better. I'm still not getting that with SVP for my Blu-ray collection, one limitation is my monitor is only 60Hz.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back