The Movies I Liked

Land of Mine its part of the movie aftermath of WWII of which It was completely unaware, a group of young German boys was captured by the Danish government and sent to an idyllic beach, their task is to rid the pristine shoreline of around 45,000 landmines in order to earn their freedom. Exploiting the natural tension of the scenario extremely well, without ever feeling schematic or manipulative, director Martin Zandvliet allows Land of Mine to arrive at every shocking moment in a way that feels organic to the point of being unavoidable.

Land of Mine (2015)
Under sandet (original title)
R | 1h 40min | Drama, History, War | 17 February 2017

Storks (2016)
A decent animation. They tried to add too much within a movie, however I always enjoy animations.

China gate (1957)
An entertaining action movie of its time.Liked Angie Dickinson and Nat King Cole.

The Infiltrator (2016) - IMDb - Great movie, which is based on true incidents..Can only imagine what the officer would have gone thru in real life.. Almost death any minute if the goons find out if it is undercover operations..

Liked it very much.. last 30 minutes or so, i was so thrilled about what might happen in next scenes.. Wish something like this happened in India too :eek:hyeah:

^^ Its there in my Library for long, DAMM these TV series, I am not getting any time for Movies ... :D lol ..

^^ Its there in my Library for long, DAMM these TV series, I am not getting any time for Movies ... :D lol ..

You have great patience level...:)
How you watch all series without confusion :confused:

My patience level only 2-3 hours only..

You have great patience level...:)
How you watch all series without confusion :confused:

My patience level only 2-3 hours only..

Whats there to be confused about. I never see 2-3 TV series at the same time. Its always one at a time. Finish one and then move to the next ...:)

**Some Spoilers may be ahead**

One fine day, I was very surprised to find Hachi: A Dog's Tale (2009) in the Top 250. I am skeptical of IMDB ratings in general, but the Top 250 list has led me to some good and great movies. So, I decided to give it a shot.

This movie is pure dog-p**n with cute dogs looking at you, generating a rush of oxytocin throughout the length of the movie. When I was watching, I was thinking "Dogs sure look cute, but what else has this got?" and it is still my feeling now.

I found it trying hard to be emotionally manipulative (It's really by the numbers, much like how music is produced these days), but without the intended effect on me. The plot has some issues. For instance, the target audience of dog lovers will find it really hard to empathize with the rest of the family which does not care a bit about the dog ("If you want to go, that's OK too" and opening your gate is not exactly what dog lovers do, especially when the said dog is going to live another 10 years at the mercy of other people). It does lead to that one great moment when a family member meets the dog which was well done (You got me there, Hallstrom!).

I then decided to watch the original movie on which this is based, Hachi-ko (1987). I reasoned that being the Japanese version, set in the proper 1920-30s time period and having a higher IMDB rating, it should be far better.

I generally found it to be a better movie than the US version (which had to explain the simple act of puppy arriving as some sort of divine intervention because how else do you explain a Japanese Akita puppy in the US?). It features the great Tatsuya Nakadai in the lead. It is far more realistic in some sense (like removing fleas from the dog. In the US version, dogs are too clean and never do doggy things like getting mud all over them. I wonder if they even piss. They are that pristine because an accident has to happen to spoil their pristineness (There's one exception)). At least, the family is not uncaring (and the reasons they give for not taking the dog with them are explained) and the circumstances that lead to Hachi becoming a stray dog have plausibility. But, in contrast to the US version, others caring for Hachi and his celebrity status are left out, probably to make the ending stick. But, these are minor issues I am willing to overlook.

My biggest issue with this movie is the dog "actor". I haven't seen anybody who is as uninterested and uninvolved with fellow actors as that dog. He just doesn't give a damn - no eye contact (even with the supposed owner, except when he is obviously hunting for treats in Tatsuya Nakadai's pockets when they are walking), no face contact (he is generally looking elsewhere when people are talking to him) and he doesn't once wag that tail. That dog deserves a Razzie!

Combining the best aspects of both versions together, you have a Movie I liked, but it exists only in my head!

Sully (2016)
The story of Chesley Sullenberger, an American pilot who became a hero after landing his damaged plane on the Hudson River in order to save the flight's passengers and crew.
A film based on 208 seconds of actual events runs for 96 minutes. This is an emotionally heartfelt story and a feel good movie presented very well by Clint Eastwood. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Sully (2016) - IMDb

Sully (2016)
The story of Chesley Sullenberger, an American pilot who became a hero after landing his damaged plane on the Hudson River in order to save the flight's passengers and crew.
A film based on 208 seconds of actual events runs for 96 minutes. This is an emotionally heartfelt story and a feel good movie presented very well by Clint Eastwood. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Sully (2016) - IMDb

Yes, Good to watch...Always Clint Eastwood make good Biography movies.
Don't miss this...If not watched.....Flight (2012)

Last edited:
Re: The Movie I Liked

Sairat is soaked in the realism that is to be found in the groundbreaking dramas.with epic love story told in a highly affecting manner, filled with solid performances, especially Rinku Rajguru as Archana is outstanding in her debut performance.The film is nearly three hours long but the director is confident, barring a few instances like the chase sequence in the first half, you dont really feel the film drags at all. Nagraj Manjule packed a punch with a arthouse film like Fandry (2013), also make a deeply touching mainstream romantic film is loud and clear!

Sairat (2016)
Not Rated | 2h 54min | Drama, Romance | 29 April 2016

Music is big plus for movie. Ajay Atul did record two songs at Live Symphony Orchestra in Hollywood-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo4E0tWGcV4

Re: The Movie I Liked

Based on Ransom Rigg's 2011 debut YA novel, "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" proves to be a perfect fit for Tim Burton's sensibilities. The director's work has been somewhat hit-or-miss in recent years and while the film isn't quite a return to form for Burton, it remains an enjoyable watch thanks to its striking visuals and a wonderfully eccentric performance from Eva Green.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016)
PG-13 | 2h 7min | Adventure, Drama, Family | 30 September 2016

Finished a series of documentaries last week.

The common elements across all these documentaries are:

• They are purely visual documentaries with music. They have no narrator, no plot, but have an underlying theme (or themes).
  • While it is difficult to generalize, I'd say that if you liked 2001: A Space Odyssey (music, images > dialogues), you'll like them easily. If you are the sort who likes Tarkovsky, well and good.
  • Whenever Ron Fricke is involved, expect some absolutely gorgeous time-lapse photography. There will be some repetition of imagery across works, but that is to be expected.
  • All of them took some effort (in some cases, years) to make.

Koyaanisqatsi (1982): This is where it all started. This is the only collaboration between Godfrey Reggio and Ron Fricke. After this, they went their separate ways. There are some brilliant, memorable shots here. Overall, I did not love it as much because

[a] I watched it after watching all of Ron Fricke's output. The awe of seeing time-lapse photography for the first time was absent.
It is a bit dated, a snapshot of America of the end-70s and early-80s.
[c] It is very American and not global as the rest.
[d] At times, I felt that Philip Glass' score was a bit too enthusiastic and a little bit distracting. There are scores of those who feel the opposite, so your mileage may vary.

Powaqqatsi (1988): My ratings for Koy and Pow are the reverse of the consensus rating at IMDB. Without Ron Fricke, this documentary has a more traditional visual style. While Koy questioned the way Americans lived, this documentary shows the 'other way of life in the third world countries'. Because of this, it is familiar and relatable, as there is a lot of India from those days. Unlike Koy, I felt that the score of Glass meshed better with the visuals. However, this intense focus on humans tends to get a bit tiring after a while. There were a lot of places where I wondered if I'd sit through it without the music score. It drags on a bit and might have been better if it had a shorter running time like Koy.

I skipped the third part of the Qatsi trilogy, Naqoyqatsi (2002), because the reviews were bad in general.

Chronos (1985): Someone at iCheckMovies remarked "This is a dry run for Baraka" and that is true. Some portions of this can remind you of Koy, some portions would later be edited into Baraka and Samsara. At just 43 minutes, this is the shortest of the documentaries but also has some of the lingering (but beautiful) time-lapse shots of architecture, nature, and people.

Between Ron Fricke and Reggio's works,

1. The visuals of Ron Fricke stand out. The music of Michael Stearns is set to the mood of the visuals and not exactly distracting.
  2. Reggio concerns himself with humans, Fricke's output is a bit more spiritual with a lot more spotlight on nature and architecture.
  3. Reggio's works are about the point he is trying to make. Fricke's is a bit more free-flowing.

Baraka (1992): This is definitely my favourite of the lot. It is a lot more spiritual and the images are 'meditative' at times.

Samsara (2011): I liked it a little less than Baraka. It has a lot more "human things" compared to Baraka, which makes it a bit darker. There are a few sequences that could remind one of Koy and/or Pow. However, due to Fricke's visuals, I would personally rate both Baraka and Samsara over the Qatsi films.

If you can watch only one, watch Baraka.

Back