The Movies I Liked

Spectral is sci-fi action-thriller,brilliant idea about ghost technology hunting with Delta force..fully action packed,visual effects are very good. Director Nic Mathieu aims for a gritty, realistic urban feel for Spectral in first-time feature film. After watched this movie is combination of Ghostbuster and Black Hawk Down.

Spectral (2016)
PG-13 | 1h 47min | Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller | 9 December 2016 (USA)

Of course, if you are talking 'patience', I have learned from the school of Tarkovsky and Bela Tarr. If I can handle watching Satantango in one day, I probably can handle anything ;).

I must say you have a completely different zone for the kind of movies you see ....:)

The ACCOUNTANT (2016)

After a while watching a thriller that can be watched with great ambiance of HT. Ben afflec pulls down another gem of a movie well supported by other casts. The film is well phased that we wont get borred during the playback of this one. Give it a try if you like thrillers and if you are a Afflec fan.

Denial (2016)
Based on Deborah E. Lipstadt's book "History on Trial: My Day in Court with a Holocaust Denier"

In Order of Disappearance (2014)
Kraftidioten (Norwegian)
An entertaining revenge thriller. Beautiful cinematography and Stellan Skarsgard is good as usual.

Denial (2016)
Based on Deborah E. Lipstadt's book "History on Trial: My Day in Court with a Holocaust Denier"

In Order of Disappearance (2014)
Kraftidioten (Norwegian)
An entertaining revenge thriller. Beautiful cinematography and Stellan Skarsgard is good as usual.

Watched both...

Denial even though true events not much grip....:sad:

In Order of Disappearance was awesome...:clapping:

Come and See (1985)

This is part of 22 official lists at iCheckMovies :)

This film is set in 1943 in Belorussia. The co-writer of the screenplay was a member of the partisan unit and based it on his real life experiences.

I have mixed feelings about this one. There are definitely some good things in the first half - the use of real ammunition to great effect, that scene in the village where the girl notices something the boy doesn't, sudden attacks (adding to the feeling of reality) etc., But there are also some parts which did not make much sense - for example, the whole conversation between Florya and Glasha. Since it felt like a series of events, not really conventional way of story-telling, some patience was required to get through a few parts.

The second half, starting from the scene where Florya hitches the ride to the village, is great. The chaos of the whole situation, the horror of it all was realistic. In real life, we are never given a proper introduction to characters so that we feel depressed when they lose their lives. In real life, cruelty doesn't end in a neat cut to the next scene. So, in that sense, the whole village scene was brutal and well done. Some of the events depicted are based on actual survivor's accounts. According to the director, a former SS soldier was ready to testify that "everything that is told in this film is the truth" during a post-screening session (See this after watching). But, after this amazing part, there was also a long sequence towards the end, which definitely overstayed my welcome.

When looking back after experiencing the whole film, the first half kind of makes sense in that it does not allow you to 'settle down' into a familiar mode. But, I have to watch this again after a few years to see if that is how I actually feel.

In all, this may not be for everybody. It is unlike a typical Hollywood polished WWII movie. While that is a big positive, it also demands a lot from the viewer.

Watched both...

Denial even though true events not much grip....:sad:

In Order of Disappearance was awesome...:clapping:

In Order of Disappearance: watched it yesterday, had great expectations but turned out to be straight forward revenge movie typical type that we have seen many times in bollywood cinemas.

The Accountant (2016) - IMDb - Ben Affleck delivers an excellent performance in this slow burn thriller. Amazingly he acts without acting, in other words, delivers with a deadpan face throughout the movie. Anna Kendrick is good company as are J.K. Simmons and Jon Bernthal. A good movie on its own, but made even better with Ben Affleck showing us why he is at the top of his game.

Ragnarok (2013) - IMDb - A decent special effects flick, without the typical Hollywood big budget special effects. Not much in the way of story, a researcher takes his kids on a hunt for the end of the world/monster Ragnarok and finds it. Good watch, especially if you are tired of Bollywood and blow everything up Hollywood movies from the past few years.

Cien aos de perdn (2016) - IMDb - Kind of disappointing fare, especially considering it had a lot of potential and started off so well. To me the weakness was in the lead characters, none of them are particularly strong or the kind that inspire the element of ruthlessness that is needed in hard-core criminals. By making the robbers wimps the movie loses steam midway. Still worth a watch, considering so many bank robbery movies get it even worse.

THE UNTOLD STORY OF NAT TURNER

Nat Turner, a former slave in America, leads a liberation movement in 1831 to free African-Americans in Virgina that results in a violent retaliation from whites.
The subjects of this movie, slavery in general,ut it's a disturbing one as well. As a document that challenges racism and white supremacy,

The Birth of a Nation (2016)
R | 2h | Biography, Drama, History | 7 October 2016

'D16' has been dealt like a novel, the attention to detail, the connections, unusual suspects, minor clues that get registered in the mind of the investigator during the inquiry, all these unfold like a page turner from Sujatha or Agatha Christie novel and the best part is, it has come from a 21 year old director who has penned it with a sharp writing skills which makes you hooked for its 105 minutes run time.

Dhuruvangal Pathinaaru (2016)
D16

A bunch of movies I watched but did not write about:

Good

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK (2006): A weird but beautiful movie that stands apart in Park Chan-wook's filmography (I've watched so far). The movie happens in an insane asylum and most of the events happen from the point of view of the inmates.

Los cronocrmenes (2007): One of the better time travel movies I have watched recently.

Kairo (2001): Kiyoshi Kurosawa is someone who makes slow burning artsy horror films - you know the ones where the atmosphere has greater relevance over the usual gore, special effects, and jump scares. Though I'd rate Cure (1997) as a better film, this is not found wanting. Once you get past the fact that you know how the internet works and this film certainly doesn't, this is a creepy ride.

Not so serious, but fun

Trollhunter (2010): A fantastic Norwegian (horror?) comedy of the found footage mockumentary style. It works best if you watch it without any expectations (or very low expectations).

You're Next (2011): It is a regular slasher film with a twist on the usual tropes. Intentionally or not, it is best viewed as a tongue-in-cheek dark humor. You may not quite see what is special. But, what appealed to me is how information plays a part - quite opposite of the way it does in the vastly superior Jagten (2012), where one lie wrecks a life; in this, missing one fact wrecks lives.

Mixed / Good, but .....

Au Hasard Balthazar (1966)

Robert Bresson is an economical person. He does not waste any frames, which means that if you are not observant when watching, you'll get confused. For the sake of brevity, he omits character introductions and emotional outbursts. In fact, he usually has 50 takes so that his non-professional actors are drained completely off their will to "act". What that means is

a) Before you process "Oh! He is dead", you are already in the next scene.
b) Before you finish thinking "Hmmm... Who is this guy? Is this the father or a new character?", things are already moving ahead.
c) The characters either seem like stoics who don't bother about what just happened to them or you feel that the actors are delivering their lines in a completely disinterested, abnormal manner (mostly the latter).

I prefer both Diary of a Country Priest (1951) and A Man Escaped (1956) to this one.

Coming to this film, we have an "Actor" who is the complete opposite of the dog actor in the (Japanese) Hachi-ko and he is a ... donkey! He too was untrained like the rest of the cast, but boy! does he carry the film on his able shoulders (and he literally carries weight and endures a lot of punishment as well). That last scene was really great - comparable only to the last scene of Hachi-ko (Japanese). As for the rest of the characters, they make some stupid mistakes and pay for it. Not that I didn't care, but the 'blank/neutral' acting comes in the way, especially with respect to Marie.

The Dreamers (2003)

There is no plot. In the late 1960s, french liberal twins allow a young American to stay with them when their parents are gone.. and that's it. I have the same feeling as one of the IMDB reviewers. In some places, this feels like a cinematic poetry (like only Bertolucci can). At other places, it just drags. But, whatever said and done, the one big reason I stayed awake and watched this... Eva Green! :licklips:

Re-watch

My Neighbor Totoro (1988): I watched it for the third time this year. This is definitely my favorite children's film. The usual Disney / Hollywood Kid's film has the tailor-made good vs bad and good triumphs after struggle storyline. There is not a bad bone in this one. There are many lovely, memorable scenes with a sense of innocence and magic (which adults miss). Even though I may rate a few animation films to be better than this, this is the one I will keep revisiting for years to come.

Martyrs (2008): Of all the disturbing or hard to watch movies, this one enjoys a special place in my heart, which is why I went back and watched it again. While this is a house of pain, a bloody torture of the physical and psychological kind, it also carries some meaning which kind of elevates it above ordinary stuff like 'Frontiers' and even above the depiction of pure depravity and power abuse that is 'Salo'.

I watched The Accountant just last week. I enjoyed it very much. Affleck portrays a man with highly functional Asperger's syndrome and the "flaws" associated with such a person very well. More than anything, all the action sequences were outstanding. They were short, but every second counted well. There was none of the typical movie flair or drama associated with action: The sequences were like the tendencies associated with his character, efficient to the T.

The sound effects associated with the action were also superbly done. For example, the Barrett .50 cal sounded like one. The sound of a heavy caliber round shot from a distance, the very slight delay between the muzzle report and the whoosh of the arrival of the round, and the impact at the target: I was jumping off my seat in excitement at how they engineered all this superbly. In the same context, the only concession to movie like drama was perhaps showing him shooting one standing up, and from the shoulder. I'm not sure if that's actually possible. Also what happens when such a heavy round impacts, was toned down substantially, probably for ratings reasons. The attention to detail in the sound was evident in all the action scenes.

The plot itself was simple and the core of it has been done many times. But the manner in which it was presented, and points added to that basic template was excellent.

Last edited:
Parched tries a little too hard to be shocking, but it's all for the important message of women's oppression of old male dominant societies. The film addresses three women life's,how there is nothing shameful about a womans need for sex or ownership of her body.

Academy-Award winning cinematographer, Russell Carpenter has captured the arid landscape beautifully. Parched is a roadmap for our oppressed female population who have been victims of a strongly mindset for eons.

Parched (2015)
1h 56min | Drama | 17 June 2016

He's Just Not That Into You : Got this as a free BluRay disc when I bought "The 33" (which was good in itself).. So, had as much expectation as I could have from a freebie.

But was pleasantly surprised..!
Huge star cast , very enjoyable and a good time pass.

The Dreamers (2003)

There is no plot. In the late 1960s, french liberal twins allow a young American to stay with them when their parents are gone.. and that's it. I have the same feeling as one of the IMDB reviewers. In some places, this feels like a cinematic poetry (like only Bertolucci can). At other places, it just drags. But, whatever said and done, the one big reason I stayed awake and watched this... Eva Green! :licklips:

One of my favourites, and a regular in my rewatch list! Bertolucci can indeed elevate cinema + sensuality to poetry. Eva Green is another one of the main reasons I love watching this movie!

Have you watched his "Stealing Beauty"? That's my absolute favourite Bertolucci movie, and it gets re-watched often enough when I'm in a certain kind of sunday mood. The movie has all of his typical elements in oodles: beautiful locations, strong characters, innocence (and the loss of it), and sensuality.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back