The Movies I Liked

Watched in CIFF

A country's complicated relationship with capital punishment is dramatized via a young prison employee in line to become an executioner. The film is a highly compelling, emotional and intense drama of character complexities, moral dilemmas, compassion and family issues with suspenseful narratives, thriller-like scenes and a gripping sense that something or someone's going to explode at any time.

Apprentice (2016)
1h 55min | Drama | 3 March 2017

The Wailing (2016)

Na Hong Jin's first film in six years. In case you haven't watched his earlier films, I highly recommend "The Chaser". "The Yellow Sea" was good as well, but was a bit too long for me.

First, be warned that this film is a bit long (2 hr 36 mins). For the first 45 mins, we get the usual goofy, incompetent policemen from Korea (Watch "The Chaser") who are investigating a series of inexplicable murders of whole families. There are rumours of a Japanese man whose arrival coincides with all the bizarre incidents that have followed. But, after this initial phase, the film takes a serious tone and is able to maintain the suspense throughout.

This is far from your usual horror film and one of the better ones I've watched in a while. Instead of using the now common Jump scares (Sinister, Conjuring, Lights Out), this is a slow burner. The possession of the young girl is more realistic and the shaman rituals bear a striking resemblance to what would happen in a village close by. But, the best part of the movie is that it is open to interpretation. If you dislike uncertainty and want ends to be tied up neatly because you have spent two and a half hours on this damn thing, you'd be disappointed. But, if you are someone who loves David Lynch movies, for instance, you'd enjoy how your theories keep playing in your head the next morning (though I'd also say that it is not in the same head scratching league as Lynch). I have my pet theories, but then when I think back, there is a scene (or scenes) where it falls apart. I would love to watch this again sometime in the future.

PS: Another unrelated thing stuck in my head is Aisling's Song from 'Secret of Kells'

The Wailing (2016)

Na Hong Jin's first film in six years. In case you haven't watched his earlier films, I highly recommend "The Chaser". "The Yellow Sea" was good as well, but was a bit too long for me

Yes, Watched above all awesome movies:clapping:

As for now in my mind below list....Try to watch...If not watched...:)

I Saw the Devil
Memories of Murder
War Of The Arrows (2011)
Mother (2009)
Miracle In Cell No. 7
A Bittersweet Life
The Man from Nowhere (2010)
No Tears for the Dead (2014)
A Dirty Carnival
The Admiral: Roaring Currents (2014)
The Client (2011)
No Mercy (2010)

Other than any post here...!!!

This is far from your usual horror film and one of the better ones I've watched in a while. Instead of using the now common Jump scares (Sinister, Conjuring, Lights Out), this is a slow burner. The possession of the young girl is more realistic and the shaman rituals bear a striking resemblance to what would happen in a village close by. But, the best part of the movie is that it is open to interpretation. If you dislike uncertainty and want ends to be tied up neatly because you have spent two and a half hours on this damn thing, you'd be disappointed. But, if you are someone who loves David Lynch movies, for instance, you'd enjoy how your theories keep playing in your head the next morning (though I'd also say that it is not in the same head scratching league as Lynch). I have my pet theories, but then when I think back, there is a scene (or scenes) where it falls apart. I would love to watch this again sometime in the future.

Any recommend for David Lynch movies...I was checked mostly Short & documentary made:rolleyes:

Re: The Movie I Liked

Rustom (Hindi - 2016). 7.5/10

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt5165344/

Very gripping crime thriller, brilliantly directed and executed with precision. Akshay has acted his role to perfection and its a must watch for his efforts alone. Though some excusable changes to original true story have been made to suit the cinematic narrative, but full marks to the screenplay and directors for staying clear of bollywood masala movie formulas. Well, recommended from my side.

watched misery (1990) y'day. good acting by kathy bates & james caan, the movie's main protagonists. kathy bates does justice to her role as a psychopath. no unnecessary gloss-'n-floss or exaggeration to the movie or its screenplay. gripping watch. two other similar ones which i've watched & would highly recommend - duel (1971) and 10 cloverfield lane (2016)

Any recommend for David Lynch movies...I was checked mostly Short & documentary made

Except "Dune", which I haven't watched, everything!

Depends on how you want it. If you want an easy start, begin with "Elephant Man" and "Straight Story". Then, to get a true feel of Lynch, watch "Eraserhead". Then cross over to "Wild at Heart", "Blue Velvet" and "Mulholland Dr" (my favourite, not least because of Naomi Watts), then proceed to "Lost Highway" and then finally, if you have loved Lynch thus far, watch "Inland Empire".

Then, if you are still interested, try and catch up "Twin Peaks" and the associated movie. The series lost its way in the second season due to ABC's interference, but it still has a lot of Lynch-isms (and also Madchen Amick).

I don't know about "Rabbits". It is still on my watch list but there are too many pending movies ahead of it.

TheSeeker;724161[URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_%281971_film%29" said:
duel[/URL] (1971) and 10 cloverfield lane (2016)

Duel was one of my cult favourites from long ago. Glad to see it mentioned :). Misery is on my watch list (ever since a Tamil version was made by Balu Mahendra starring Jayaram and Saritha years ago). Time to watch it, I guess!

As for "10 Cloverfield..", John (Freaking) Goodman ... enough said. Sadly, nobody is going to award him for it.

Duel was one of my cult favourites from long ago. Glad to see it mentioned :). Misery is on my watch list (ever since a Tamil version was made by Balu Mahendra starring Jayaram and Saritha years ago). Time to watch it, I guess!

As for "10 Cloverfield..", John (Freaking) Goodman ... enough said. Sadly, nobody is going to award him for it.

Don't watch tamil version before "Misery"...always Original best...:)

watched misery (1990) y'day. good acting by kathy bates & james caan, the movie's main protagonists. kathy bates does justice to her role as a psychopath. no unnecessary gloss-'n-floss or exaggeration to the movie or its screenplay. gripping watch. two other similar ones which i've watched & would highly recommend - duel (1971) and 10 cloverfield lane (2016)

This one also good...Cloverfield (2008)

@Shreeux,

Why not write what you liked about the movie? Most of what you write is word for word from other sources (Clash - Guardian, All of a Sudden - Matt Evenson on Letterboxd, Glory - Indiewire), Salesman - Hollywood Reporter, Apprentice - Variety + Colourless Opinions).

From all this, we only know how reviewers have described the movie you have watched in their own reviews. But, we learn zilch about your opinion of the movie. Maybe what you cut and paste coincides with your own opinion, but why not write it in your own words? This thread doesn't need professionalism or even spell check ;). It is just what it is - a thread to name-drop movies so that others who haven't heard of it get curious, watch it and form their own opinion, even polar opposite ones.

Watched in CIFF

Director Mohamed Diabs disturbing and technically daring thriller positions the viewer on the inside of an Egyptian police van in 2013 as post-revolution tensions boil over. Horrifying one-location drama tackles Egyptian conflict.

Clash (2016)
Eshtebak (original title)
1h 37min | Drama, Thriller | 27 July 2016 (Egypt)

@shreeux : Sorry to say, but it kind of getting bored reading your post. Please add post if you really like a movie and recommend it to others to watch other wise you behave like a bot.:sad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Queen Of Katwe (2016)
A Mira Nair directed film. A Sports biography about some chess players from Uganda, which depicts courage and determination during hard times. Beautifully depicted and brings a smile to ones face inspite of the difficult conditions portrayed for the people in slum.

Back