The Movies I Liked

@Shreeux,
From all this, we only know how reviewers have described the movie you have watched in their own reviews. But, we learn zilch about your opinion of the movie. Maybe what you cut and paste coincides with your own opinion, but why not write it in your own words? This thread doesn't need professionalism or even spell check ;). It is just what it is - a thread to name-drop movies so that others who haven't heard of it get curious, watch it and form their own opinion, even polar opposite ones.

Yes,I know, Whatever match with my view added to my review...Its consume more time for me:)

@shreeux : Sorry to say, but it kind of getting bored reading your post. Please add post if you really like a movie and recommend it to others to watch other wise you behave like a bot.:sad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This movie was impressed me, Full movie (Camera view)was taken inside of van..Only few shots outside.

The Handmaiden (2016)

I am a bit conflicted about this movie.

On one hand, it is highly entertaining for its long runtime. As with most Park Chan-Wook movies, there is beautiful cinematography, great angles, good costume design. I also liked Kim Tae-ri's acting in the first part. The second part is a 'Rashomon' style re-telling of the first part. But, the way it transpired reminded me more of Kamalhassan's "Virumandi" - where we not only get what happened after the scene was cut away in the first part but fleshed out to give a different perspective. There is also a third concluding part, which has some of PCW's trademark thingies. Despite all the positives (and a high IMDB rating), in the end, I was left wondering whether I had just watched a good movie or a (tastefully shot) soft p**n. Not that I mind :p.

This movie is inspired by the book 'Fingersmith'. The story is transported to 1930s Japanese-occupied Korea and if I understand correctly, amplified in erotic content. I am now interested in watching the BBC Mini Series, Fingersmith (TV Mini-Series 2005) just to compare it to Handmaiden. Many on IMDB say that the second and third act of the series is better.

@shreeux,

Check Kingshuk's post above or TheSeeker's post from the previous page. Both are two line posts with simple words which convey what we need to know to get interested.

If it takes a tiny bit more effort and time, so be it. I take inordinate amounts to come up with 4 half-decent lines (which go through 50 edits) and even then I am very dissatisfied with what I have written 99.95% of the time. So what? If only a very few understand the crap I have written and only a handful among those get interested in the movie, the purpose is served. That is why we share here. We don't need a brilliant summary from Ebert, just whatever interested Shreeux :rolleyes:

The Mother (2009)

May be it was shared earlier, but wanted to share again that this is a must watch movie for the brilliant portrayal of the lead Mother character. Good twist towards the end. Doesn't feel like watching a korean movie after initial few minutes

(Memories of Murder by same director is also another much watch)

Inspired buy true events..Well known Director-Dante Lam this time takes drug cartel plot "Mekong River massacre" occurred in the morning of 5 October 2011, when two Chinese cargo ships were attacked on a stretch of the Mekong River in the Golden Triangle region on the borders of Burma and Thailand.

There is plenty of action scenes with other from the actors sniffer dog (Bingo) was intelligent performance of this movie.

Operation Mekong (2016)
Mei Gong he xing dong (original title)
2h 3min | Action, Adventure | 30 September 2016 (USA)

Last edited:
Another South Korean drama based on the terrifying real life story of Jang Mi-jeong in 2004 that highlights the serious recriminations of smuggling and the devastating effect it has one of the family member commits crime. Its superb drama exposes inefficient human characters well acted as well as crafted with emotional drama.

Jibeuro ganeun gil (2013) 7/10
2h 11min | Drama | 11 December 2013 (South Korea)

Whisper of the Heart (1995) (Re-watch)

I watched this over seven years ago (2009 August, to be precise). The only things I remembered very vaguely about it were

a) It was a teen romance movie.
b) There was a song.
c) I liked it... somewhat.

Last year, I happened to watch The Cat Returns (2002), supposedly a 'sequel' of sorts to WotH. "Cat.." was a short, but entertaining fantasy, but I didn't remember how it was connected to WotH (Turns out, it is stand-alone). Seven years of aging (unfortunately not related to maturing :eek:) has allowed me to appreciate this movie just a little bit more this time (I also appreciated "Kiki's Delivery Service" just a little more this time).

While 'Whisper' is indeed a teen romance drama (+ coming of age story), it has many redeeming elements that take it a notch above similar movies. For one, the animation is top-notch. It amazes me that it is almost completely hand drawn (there is one computer animated fantasy sequence, where individual items were hand-drawn, but the relative movements were achieved through computer animation). What kept me engaged almost each scene was the level of attention to detail - whether it is something minor like the rust in the railing or how realistic suburban Tokyo looks from up above - something that sort of transports you to the era and place. Unfortunately, this turned out to be the only film of Yoshifumi Kond?. He was supposed to be the heir apparent to Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, until he overworked himself to death in 1998 (that way, we can say there are shades of him in the lead characters).

In the second half, it deals with inspiration, creativity, passion and how everyday constraints and external expectations can come in the way. Another thing I liked is that it doesn't present a romantic view of life - hard work does not pay huge dividends at first try. The ending feels silly considering where they are in their lives.

It also led me to think about alternate histories- what if Kondo lived? (Not very different from the premise of 'Man in the High Castle', but with relatively minor implications for society at large).

PS: Thinking about 'feel of realism' in animation, I was reminded of "Ghost in the Shell". I don't like its faux-philosophical discourses, but the cuts between scenes and the 'camera angles' made it feel like a real movie made with animated 'actors'. I am looking forward to seeing how underwhelming Scarlett Johansson's live version would be. Bad or too bad, that is the question :rolleyes:

Blue Is the Warmest Color (2013)

I put this off for a long time considering its infamous reputation (every review talks about that "too long" seven minutes) and long running time (3 hrs). Though the entertaining "Handmaiden" deals with a similar subject, I prefer the slow, realistic treatment of 'Blue...', which covers a far better range of emotions. I didn't feel the length of the film. But, given the 'slice of life' nature of the work, this would not appeal to everybody.

The camera spends a long time on Adle Exarchopoulos, who is in every scene, but it does not always show her in a beautiful light - the way she eats, the way she cries (I have never seen crying through eyes and nose like that in a film :p) to shots that were taken without the actress' knowledge (sleeping on the train, to which the closest example I remember is Liv Tyler's drooling sleep in the opening scenes of 'Stealing Beauty'). Much of the dialogue was improvised and repeated until it was realistic enough (800 hours of material edited down to 3 hours), which works in some scenes (like the ones with kids in the nursery or the one in which Adele feels completely lost among Emma's friends) and some of it doesn't. The passage of time between scenes is also a bit jarring at times.

Primer (2004) (Re-watch) and Upstream Color (2013)

Over Confidence is one of the worst ways we fool ourselves. Just because I have watched 'Primer' once before and I have watched a whole range of movies since made me think that I will "get all of it" this time around. Maybe because I don't have the brightest bulb up there or it is just the way it is, I once again 'got' a gist of how things transpired, but was far, far from getting 'everything'. I had to read this afterwards.

Not satisfied with one Shane Carruth movie, I had to have a double bill and follow it up with 'Upstream color'. I admit that I watched it half asleep, but it had a much simpler narrative compared to 'Primer' and the flow was good enough to keep me interested. This time, I got most of it, but certainly not all of it; this filled in the holes very well.

The Lobster (2015)

I can only describe this as an absurd deadpan dark comedy. If you have not watched Yorgos Lanthimos' Dogtooth, you should. You can draw a lot of parallels between the two films. It immediately reminded me of Wes Anderson, whose colorful, quirky films seem to happen in a special 'Wes Anderson universe'. You can tell it is a Wes' film just by looking at the composition of a shot. I can't say Yorgos fits into the same mold given that I have watched only two of his films and the rest don't seem to be in the same mold going by IMDB comments. But, Dogtooth and this make a very good combination. I liked Dogtooth better because it increased in absurdity and weirdness quotient throughout its running time. Lobster is a more restrained effort while retaining the deadpan, quirks and social satire. I quite liked Colin Farrell's toned down, pot bellied performance here.

Blue Is the Warmest Color (2013)

I put this off for a long time considering its infamous reputation (every review talks about that "too long" seven minutes) and long running time (3 hrs). Though the entertaining "Handmaiden" deals with a similar subject, I prefer the slow, realistic treatment of 'Blue...', which covers a far better range of emotions. I didn't feel the length of the film. But, given the 'slice of life' nature of the work, this would not appeal to everybody.

The camera spends a long time on Adle Exarchopoulos, who is in every scene, but it does not always show her in a beautiful light - the way she eats, the way she cries (I have never seen crying through eyes and nose like that in a film :p) to shots that were taken without the actress' knowledge (sleeping on the train, to which the closest example I remember is Liv Tyler's drooling sleep in the opening scenes of 'Stealing Beauty'). Much of the dialogue was improvised and repeated until it was realistic enough (800 hours of material edited down to 3 hours), which works in some scenes (like the ones with kids in the nursery or the one in which Adele feels completely lost among Emma's friends) and some of it doesn't. The passage of time between scenes is also a bit jarring at times.

Primer (2004) (Re-watch) and Upstream Color (2013)

Over Confidence is one of the worst ways we fool ourselves. Just because I have watched 'Primer' once before and I have watched a whole range of movies since made me think that I will "get all of it" this time around. Maybe because I don't have the brightest bulb up there or it is just the way it is, I once again 'got' a gist of how things transpired, but was far, far from getting 'everything'. I had to read this afterwards.

Not satisfied with one Shane Carruth movie, I had to have a double bill and follow it up with 'Upstream color'. I admit that I watched it half asleep, but it had a much simpler narrative compared to 'Primer' and the flow was good enough to keep me interested. This time, I got most of it, but certainly not all of it; this filled in the holes very well.

The Lobster (2015)

I can only describe this as an absurd deadpan dark comedy. If you have not watched Yorgos Lanthimos' Dogtooth, you should. You can draw a lot of parallels between the two films. It immediately reminded me of Wes Anderson, whose colorful, quirky films seem to happen in a special 'Wes Anderson universe'. You can tell it is a Wes' film just by looking at the composition of a shot. I can't say Yorgos fits into the same mold given that I have watched only two of his films and the rest don't seem to be in the same mold going by IMDB comments. But, Dogtooth and this make a very good combination. I liked Dogtooth better because it increased in absurdity and weirdness quotient throughout its running time. Lobster is a more restrained effort while retaining the deadpan, quirks and social satire. I quite liked Colin Farrell's toned down, pot bellied performance here.

Blue Is the Warmest Color is good..me to dont feel its 3 hours. Even Though more nudity scene, movies go with slow paced emotional drama without diverted.

I watched both movies of Yorgos Lanthimos's "The Lobster" & "Dogtooth". Yes Dogtooth was very wild compare to Lobster.

I remember this movie..as of now...Mostly bachelor not understand this movie of scent..
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)

Last edited:
Shreeux (2015-17)
Great movie to watch for those who love Indian award movies that came on DD during late 1980s. Pretty robotic and seems very difficult what the director or actor is wishing to communicate :rolleyes::rolleyes:. But still the screen play goes on even if no one is watching.:sad::sad:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back