• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

The Movies I Liked

Wharfedale EVO4.4 Speaker

sam9s

Marriage Story ... The acting was the best part of this movie. top-notch and certainly Oscar-worthy. And Scarlett Johansson did receive the nomination. The plot is simple, two people in love, fight for what they believe is best for them in the given circumstances, and decide to get a divorce. But frankly speaking, I didn't enjoy how the plot unfoldes eventually. This was more of a divorce story than marriage. Don't get me wrong the writing is to the highest standards, but I strongly believe, the journey of pain and suffering and trial and tribulations should have made them realise the importance of love, life, sacrifice. The characters or the couple, in this case, didn't grow as the movie/life progresses. Its clearly shown that both of them loved each other truly and passionately, but neither of them actually tries to "sort" or "learn" from anything they shared on-screen which eventually was turning out to be the end of their story. The ideal ending would have been if the couple would have worked their way out from commitment and compromise and self-sacrifice for their love for each other and more importantly love for their family. My rating would be 6.5/10

esanthosh

That is not how I saw "Marriage Story" :)

I think what you felt is what you are supposed to feel. It is about two people, who could have worked out their differences if they had just sat down and had a heart-to-heart. But, once she files for divorce, the legal system brings in animosity and throws the rift wide open despite the fact that they still care for each other. This is why the ending worked very well for me and I gave it a much higher rating.

Further, Laura Dern's award-winning performance was realistic according to a divorce lawyer. I really liked her performance, especially scenes like the one where she complements Adam Driver when she is on a short break and gets back to work as soon as she sits down.

This is based on Noah Baumbach's own divorce with Jennifer Jason Leigh.

From here

"Of course, I have a real connection to the material. But I was also at a time in my life where many of my friends were getting divorced. I saw it as an opportunity to do something more expansive, so I did a lot of research. I interviewed a lot of my friends, and friends of friends, and then also lawyers, judges, mediators."

All that research allowed Baumbach to get truly, deeply honest about everything that happens around the breakup of a marriage. “You have a legal system that brings in lawyers, judges, evaluators, and mediators. There are all these [professionals] that suddenly become part of your professional experience,” Baumbach explained to Awards Daily. “Then family gets brought into it because it’s a rewriting of your marriage. So everyone who was involved in your marriage in some ways becomes a part of the divorce narrative.

In approaching that cavalcade of characters, it was important to Baumbach, who's known for his meticulous details, that divorce lawyers weren't depicted as money-obsessed villains, as they are sometimes portrayed in television shows or movies. Instead, Baumbach says there are no good or bad guys in Marriage Story, there are just the realities of divorce. “Another part of the story is that these people lose control of their own narrative, and they lose their voice at a certain point because the lawyers take over for them,” he told Awards Daily.

But at the film's core, Baumbach wanted to make sure his Marriage Story was ultimately about the love that still exists, even as many marriages are ending. That's what drew the eye of the film's producer, David Heyman, who told The Hollywood Reporter, "It's a beautiful piece of writing ... What I loved about it was that it was a love story. No matter how hard they went at it, you still never question the love that they have for one another."

Also,

There are moments in the film that feel very evocative of Baumbach and Leigh’s relationship, or at the very least the dynamic they presented as a couple to the public. Leigh behaved childishly, much like Johansson's character, and both were born and raised in California (Leigh's family were involved in the acting business - her father, Vic Morrow, famously died during the making of Twilight Zone: The Movie.) For most of their marriage, Leigh was the more famous one, like Nicole in the film, before the dynamic of prestige and attention shifted to Baumbach. In an interview with Deadline, Baumbach did acknowledge the obvious, saying:
Baumbach argues the film is not autobiographical, however, telling The New York Times:

"I think when people say autobiographical, they’re assuming it’s one-to-one, which none of my movies are in the slightest. I might use autobiographical details at times, but any extrapolation beyond that has no meaning to the work or to me or anything else."

mmail552000

Wating for
Greyhound

The film story is based on the days of World War II and Tom Hanks plays the role of a ship captain. The ship is operating under the code name Greyhound and the team under captain destroys a Nazi sub, setting off a celebration.

pantpank

Recently watched a hindi web series - Asur, and I would highly recommend it to everyone. It's a psychological crime thriller which is very gripping and with smart writing which is very rare in India.

sam9s

Extraction ... Oh Boy this was a surprise. I was not expecting this to be any different than a usual typical Hollywood action. But I could'nt be wrong. This a very reminiscent to John Wick, style and boy it delivered. The close combat scenes and the shootout is the highlight of the movie. The plot is bare bone and is exactly like the title says. "Extraction" nothing less nothing more. Not sure why they choose Dhaka as the backdrop but guess Hollywood knows how imp Indian audiences are there days for a blockbuster. But it kind of backfired as well. This movie would have touched an 8 on IMDB probably had it not been Dhaka, as 30-40% of people gave it a 1 or 3 max just coz they got Dhaka absolutely incorrect, which for me was kinda ok as Hollywood mostly gets India incorrect as well. But keeping that aspect aside this is one HELL OF an action thriller.

Now coming to the performance. Chris Hemsworth is superb and looks stud, BUT what stood out for me was Randeep Hooda. Man O Man, his screen presence was as good as Hemsworth if not better. He nailed the character as ex-special ops. There is one hand to hand combat scene between Him and Hemsworth and its been done fantastically. Randeep was flawless. Overall just watch this movie for brutal action and tightly choreographed hand to hand combat scenes............ 6.8/10 ... I would have given it a complete 7 which is rare. But 0.2 deducted coz of Dhaka :) just as respect as they do get these Asian countries totally wrong....lol

Available on Netflix in HDR

Yogesh

Extraction ... Oh Boy this was a surprise. I was not expecting this to be any different than a usual typical Hollywood action. But I could'nt be wrong. This a very reminiscent to John Wick, style and boy it delivered. The close combat scenes and the shootout is the highlight of the movie. The plot is bare bone and is exactly like the title says. "Extraction" nothing less nothing more. Not sure why they choose Dhaka as the backdrop but guess Hollywood knows how imp Indian audiences are there days for a blockbuster. But it kind of backfired as well. This movie would have touched an 8 on IMDB probably had it not been Dhaka, as 30-40% of people gave it a 1 or 3 max just coz they got Dhaka absolutely incorrect, which for me was kinda ok as Hollywood mostly gets India incorrect as well. But keeping that aspect aside this is one HELL OF an action thriller.

Now coming to the performance. Chris Hemsworth is superb and looks stud, BUT what stood out for me was Randeep Hooda. Man O Man, his screen presence was as good as Hemsworth if not better. He nailed the character as ex-special ops. There is one hand to hand combat scene between Him and Hemsworth and its been done fantastically. Randeep was flawless. Overall just watch this movie for brutal action and tightly choreographed hand to hand combat scenes............ 6.8/10 ... I would have given it a complete 7 which is rare. But 0.2 deducted coz of Dhaka :) just as respect as they do get these Asian countries totally wrong....lol

Available on Netflix in HDR
Extraction is getting mixed reviews! What I guess from all is it's good for action scenes, rest is patchy at best. I will have see it for sure for it's action! :)

Yogesh

Some of my recent watched movies :

The Invisible Man - Good one time watch.
Parasite - Overrated for sure. But, can be watched once.
Memories Of Murder (2003) Korean - Excellent. Don't Miss kinda stuff.
The Hunt aka Jagten (2013) - Dark, Unsetlling. Slow Burner. Don't Miss kinda stuff. Your heart go outs for Michelson and you fell like slapping a couple of character. The girl is Superb.
The Knives Out - Vastly overrated. No real suspense or twist. Predictable. Craig is occasionally and mildly amusing.
I saw the Devil (2010) Korean - Don't Miss kinda stuff.
The wailing (2016) Korean - Must Watch. Cringing. Creeps you out.
Spartacus (1960) - A Kubrick Classic. Must Watch. Laurence Olivier delivers a worthy performance.
Eyes Wide Shut 1999 - Much bashed but, a truly Kubrick. Watch with open mind.
Paths of Glory 1657 - Again a Kubrick classic. Great war drama. Again Greek tragedy like script.
Birds of Prey - Strictly for Margot Robbie. You won't get bored though.

Also, Talking of Korean, The Good, the Bad, the Weird (2008) - Rollicking Korean take on The Good, the Bad and the ugly. Tremendous background score to boot.

Hiten

movies about robberies, ransoms going wrong are always funny. Here are couple of them. (1) Quick Change (2) Ruthless People
Do post if any of you remember any from that period.

Regards