The Ortofon 2M Red

jk_chaos

Folks!! Just got the shipment from Needledoctor.. The Ortofon 2M RED, thanks a lot to fellow FM Malvai for helping me out on the purchase.. This has got to be the first step in terms of upgrade on the phono route for me..And still a long way to go
Cheers

Congrats. I have tried this on Project Debut III and a Technics direct drive turntable with good results on both. Very capable cartridge that helps in enjoying not too clean LPs also.

Hi jk,

May I know the landing cost to India, if it is not a secret. Also post your listening impressions after you have settled with it.

TIA,

N.Murali

@Murali , It aint no secret :D, The order price was 99$ and I had bought along with it an audioquest anti static brush and some record sleeves, the whole package was 165$ inc shipping, and I was not charged any duty, even though I feared it would happen. So yes considering the dollar rates, the whole package costed me around Rs 9,000.
And I havent mounted it yet, once I do will post more pictures and yes, the listening impressions too :)

Folks!! Just got the shipment from Needledoctor.. The Ortofon 2M RED, thanks a lot to fellow FM Malvai for helping me out on the purchase.. This has got to be the first step in terms of upgrade on the phono route for me..And still a long way to go
Cheers

Congratulations:clapping: welcome to vinyl club.

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks Sachin...I could use the $30 I save...but why do you say OM10 is better for me than 2M Red?

OM 10 is a better performer than 2m Red.You can upgrade stylus with OM20/30/40 in same body(though not cheap).Ortofon once discontinued OM series but had to introduce again because of good demand. Its a high compliance cart,so it would be better match with low mass tonearm of your TT.
See here for more That College Budget Cartridge that won't murder my records.. - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Regards,
Sachin

There's a slight problem with upgrading only the stylus of OM5e that some other people have faced. I read somewhere that the OM5e body is not the exact fit for the upgraded stylus. I suggest upgrading the whole cartridge to 10 or 20.

2M red sounded better to me on Debut III than 5e. Due to lack of counterweight I came across three options, using a rubber washer / turning the counterweight supplied 180 degrees so that the far end is close to the fulcrum / using the counterweight of another turntable. I opted for the first option and the sound was superb.
I have not tried comparing OM-10 or OM-20 to 2M red.

I am now in the process of giving away my analog part of the system. Had I planned on using it more, I might have tried OM-10 myself.

Last edited:
There's a slight problem with upgrading only the stylus of OM5e that some other people have faced. I read somewhere that the OM5e body is not the exact fit for the upgraded stylus. I suggest upgrading the whole cartridge to 10 or 20.

2M red sounded better to me on Debut III than 5e. Due to lack of counterweight I came across three options, using a rubber washer / turning the counterweight supplied 180 degrees so that the far end is close to the fulcrum / using the counterweight of another turntable. I opted for the first option and the sound was superb.
I have not tried comparing OM-10 or OM-20 to 2M red.

I am now in the process of giving away my analog part of the system. Had I planned on using it more, I might have tried OM-10 myself.
Hi Shivam,
I suggest you to try OM 10 on your TT.It would match perfectly on your tt.OM5e is different cart it comes OEm on many entry level TTs and can't be upgraded to Om 10 stylus(IMO).Could you tell me which phonostage are you having?this could make a major difference.Please don't give up on Analog system.Its worth keeping.

Regards,
Sachin

+++ to Sachin's suggestion. In the recent past I have moved my CD's to computer/squeezebox, it is hardly any comparison to Vinyl, despite my vinyl chain being a very poor one in terms of pedigree and collection of vinyl being
modest. True, vinyl is tough to maintain...but it is worth every moment spent on it...

My take....

There seems to be a small misunderstanding here, maybe due to incomplete data from my side.

The main reason for giving away most of my analogue system is lack of time to indulge in music. I felt it better to let someone with more time enjoy my LPs rather than me storing them and not enjoying them.

I will not give away a few select titles and a personal favourite turntable which I really enjoy. ;)

I do actually like the analogue sound more than digital. To clarify further, I am not planning to buy any high end digital component.

I checked with the customer support at needledoctor.com and they confirmed that I can use OM-20,OM-30 stylus with OM5E cart on Project Debut III.

I was actually planning to go that route. However I would be really curious to know problems faced by others in upgrading the stylus to OM 10/20/30 on a OM5E cart!.

Here is the mail thread I had with needle doctor on the same regard

John Antony
Jun 10

to Needle
Hi,

I have recently purchased a Project Debut III TT. Its sounding pretty good. Now that I have got some used LPs, the surface noise and cracks and pops are more. I have been researching on the net found following upgrades that might make Pro-Ject Debut III sound better.

I am currently using the entry level Pro-Ject phono box - phono pre amp and Denon 2130 AVR as the amp. The speakers are Kef iQ7 and Onkyo Subwoofer.

1. Upgrade the cartridge/stylus
2. Upgrade the platter to Pro-Ject Acryl-it acrylic platter.

Now regarding the cartridge/stylus upgrade, I am planning to do the stylus upgrade. I am shying away from cartridge upgrade as it involves some complicated setup after the new cart is fitted. I learned that stylus upgrade is very simple and straight forward.

Now that I have chosen the stylus upgrade, I am planning to put the Ortofone OM30 stylus on the Ortofone OM 5 cartridge. The OM 5 is not the "Super OM" cart. My question is will I get an improved sound and tracking with OM 30 on a regular OM 5 cartridge?

The total cost for both the upgrades is around $400. Do you think the sound improvement I am going to get worth the upgrade?

The main reasons for the upgrade is

1. Improved Bass
2. Improved tracking and low cracks and pops from old records.

Any help on my queries will be greatly appreciated.

----------------------- Needle Doctor Reply ------------------------------

Needle Doctor Info [email protected]
Jun 11

to me
Hey, John. You're on the right track here. The 30 stylus will definitely improve your bass response, and lower your surface noise. It fits and works great on the OM5, don't worry about that part. The Acrylic platter wil help, too. It really darkens the background, and allows you to get rid of the felt mat. Be in touch, I'd love to help.

Thanks,
Brian
--------------------------------------------
Needle Doctor
6006 Excelsior Blvd
Minneapolis, MN 55416

Phone: 800-229-0644
Web: Needle Doctor
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: www.facebook.com/needledoctor

Hi,
I would suggest to change your phonostage first to reach any conclusion.Om30 will definitely improve SQ,but $400 for a cart and platter is not justified.You can buy a better TT or good and entry level budget MC.
You can get a very good sound with your current set up just upgrading your phonostage.You can diy CNC phonostage which will perform at par with ay high end phonostage and can be built under Rs 3000 and case of your choice.

Regards,
Sachin

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back