These will be my new speakers! Devialet Phantom

Congratulations!!! both of you.

Pics please.

Thanks for bringing it up. Normally, I post pictures but I guess in this case, because of our move and not seeing this thread for some time, things did not happen the normal way.

Here are some quick shots of my set up. It is currently set up in a not so ideal way (as per me) and since we are shifting / moving soon I did not bother to tidy it up. May be by next month this time, we should be in our new place so hopefully I will have some better pictures.

DSC00337.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

Thanks for bringing it up. Normally, I post pictures but I guess in this case, because of our move and not seeing this thread for some time, things did not happen the normal way.

Here are some quick shots of my set up. It is currently set up in a not so ideal way (as per me) and since we are shifting / moving soon I did not bother to tidy it up. May be by next month this time, we should be in our new place so hopefully I will have some better pictures.

DSC00337.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

I feel you may missing a lot of high frequencies.
Your tweeters should be your ear level, from your pics i can assume that the tweeter is at higher height than your ear level.

I feel you may missing a lot of high frequencies.
Your tweeters should be your ear level, from your pics i can assume that the tweeter is at higher height than your ear level.

Either you typed something wrong or the pictures depict it so differently but both ways it is the opposite of your observation. In this setup, phantoms tweeter level is quite lower than the ear level. Fortunately, Phantoms have a slightly upward firing stance and the couch is a good 10 feet apart from Phantoms.

The stools on which they are right now has a height of 45 cms and the branch / tree are of 66cm tall which sounds about right to bring them to the ear level.

Hopefully, I will have more accurate set up in the next place.

Last edited:
I listened to these in Whathifi Show Blore'2016.
I had very high expectations, as it has a price tag of around 2 Lacs INR.

But, i was disappointed with the Sound signature and quality. No doubt the bass was really nice, but the Highs and Mids are just ok type. It has good soundstage also.

I listened to these in Whathifi Show Blore'2016.
I had very high expectations, as it has a price tag of around 2 Lacs INR.

But, i was disappointed with the Sound signature and quality. No doubt the bass was really nice, but the Highs and Mids are just ok type. It has good soundstage also.

Please don't go by your experience of these speakers at the Bangalore show.
They were poorly setup there and it would be a mistake to extrapolate that to here.

Please don't go by your experience of these speakers at the Bangalore show.
They were poorly setup there and it would be a mistake to extrapolate that to here.

With all due respect, i totally agree with you that the set up was not proper.
But still can gaze something :eek:hyeah:
For 2 Lacs money, no no no no, apart from looks and design.
You can have awesome setup with this money :)

These are ultra lifestyle, statement, niche speakers. No doubt there is some very good technology in them.
The room in Bengaluru show was poorly setup. But the point of Devialet was to showcase the "bowling balls".
I am sure with proper placement and space they will be able to shine.
Simplicity is the key here. For almost half the cost, these did outdo the KII active setup.
Cheers,
Raghu

I had heard the Phantoms at the WHF Bangalore show. My feeling is that it is more of a lifestyle product than a hi-fi product (it is hard to believe that the dealers could not set up this pair of speakers correctly in a standard room, IMHO). Of course, opinions differ and there may be no final verdict.
As an FM mentioned, the KIIs sounded a bit clinical while the Invention Audio had that "raw" feeling to the music. I suspect the active crossovers in the KIIs are 4th order Linkwitz-Rileys while for Invention Audio the passive crossovers are first/second order designs.
Cheers,
Reji

I am sure with proper placement and space they will be able to shine.
Simplicity is the key here. For almost half the cost, these did outdo the KII active setup.
Cheers,
Raghu

The Kii and Phantoms focus on different things due to the considerable difference in target demographic they are aimed at. You cannot replace one with the other.

My personal preference is Kii by a wide margin. The phantoms are a function follows form design. The Kii is a form follows function design.

Very different in design and final outcome. Horses for courses.

Got a pair of the Gold Phantoms mounted on the Tree stands. I cannot yet say they are the best speakers for the money, but they are great. They are remarkable in isolating the sound from its surroundings, it feels sound is suspended in the air. Its so decoupled from the room that nothing in the room resonates and the bass is not heard booming in the adjoining rooms unlike some other speakers I had. Infact my room sounds like a well treated room, when infact it is a plain apartment living room. This is a very unconventional sounding speaker. Excellent for low volume listening.

Got a pair of the Gold Phantoms mounted on the Tree stands. I cannot yet say they are the best speakers for the money, but they are great. They are remarkable in isolating the sound from its surroundings, it feels sound is suspended in the air. Its so decoupled from the room that nothing in the room resonates and the bass is not heard booming in the adjoining rooms unlike some other speakers I had. Infact my room sounds like a well treated room, when infact it is a plain apartment living room. This is a very unconventional sounding speaker. Excellent for low volume listening.

I was curious on these. How is the imaging and soundstage? All the specs and innovation described is simply astounding on the paper.

The sound stage and imaging are top class. But I feel its not in the traditional sense. It feels more like the sound is rounded into a sphere hanging on a rope right in the middle of the speakers. Hence any instrument or sound that appears in only one channel seems to be totally detached from the overall sound scene. It could be something to do with the placement, I have to try moving it around. I listened to the KEF LS50 Wireless for about 2 hours before buying this. Even at less than half the price of the Phantoms the KEF didn't seem to be value for the money.

The sound stage and imaging are top class. But I feel its not in the traditional sense. It feels more like the sound is rounded into a sphere hanging on a rope right in the middle of the speakers. Hence any instrument or sound that appears in only one channel seems to be totally detached from the overall sound scene. It could be something to do with the placement, I have to try moving it around. I listened to the KEF LS50 Wireless for about 2 hours before buying this. Even at less than half the price of the Phantoms the KEF didn't seem to be value for the money.

Vea, Are you using only one Phantom. If so then yes, while the sound will be enveloping, it will still be playing mono and not stereo. For the Phantoms to shine, you definitely need 2 phantoms in a stereo setup.

Vea, Are you using only one Phantom. If so then yes, while the sound will be enveloping, it will still be playing mono and not stereo. For the Phantoms to shine, you definitely need 2 phantoms in a stereo setup.

i was using 2 gold phantoms in stereo mode. i have now sold the phantoms and moved on to a devialet amp + traditional speakers. i would not want to spark another debate here, nor want to offend other phantom users, but i found the gold phantoms lacking. they are well short of fidelity that we all in this forum are used to. its a fantastic lifestyle product, or a perfect boom box.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back