These will be my new speakers! Devialet Phantom

SatMumbai

I follow this company (Devialet) and very impressed with their amplifier range and yet to hear their Ensemble (Devialet Amp + Atohm Speakers + Speaker wires)
But now with new Phantom, they made everything even better (atleast on paper, as of now). This is an active wireless speaker and that is it. Weighting at just 11Kg, I think this will be a mind blowing performer and gets rid of any cable discussions forever. Two of them can be configured as Stereo and even more for multi room set up and possibly multi channel set up.

I wish it also has some kind of room compensation with mic but may be in V2.0

Here is the link for more info and details
Devialet. Ingnierie Acoustique de France.

i read about it yesterday..these guys do seem to be pushing the envelope in terms of design/creativity. even the Diavalet 160 amp onwards its is a truly all in one- Source (streaming)-amp including Phono..very VFM for what it does

i heard the devialet 800 with Vivid Audio Giya and Wilson Audio Duettes... a session of about 1.5 hours each on different days. I liked this combo.

and also the devialet 120 with the devialet SBM speaker...for about an hour in a well treated room.... this was another story for me.

I did not like it too much.

But you may like it.

Thats the way sound is perceived and thats why different marketers take a different approach to producing the same sound.

While Devialet is pushing the frontiers in terms of technology and convenience it remains to be seen as to how popular it will get.

The amplifier is a hybrid of Class A and D and they have applied for a patent on it.

The speakers that satmumbai is referring to look good but obviously the old fashioned rule of hear before you buy applies.

good luck satmumbai.

mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
They have spent considerable effort on the aesthetics.
But at that price I think one would definitely expect more.

The rating 3000 W .., wonder why they are giving the PMPO rating vs RMS.

one can certainly expect a French company to spend a lot of time on the aesthetics..

anything french usually looks a little different or unique..

there are many things worthy of a good debate on the technology that Devialet uses and the marketing route they have chosen and their target markets.

But thats for another day and another audience maybe..

regards
mpw

They have spent considerable effort on the aesthetics.
But at that price I think one would definitely expect more.

The rating 3000 W .., wonder why they are giving the PMPO rating vs RMS.

Why do you say it is pmpo?

Class D can go to 3k watts even for this size enclosure.

Although it might be burst power too. But I would imagine a company of this repute would have more basis for claiming these specs.

The speakers that satmumbai is referring to look good but obviously the old fashioned rule of hear before you buy applies.

good luck satmumbai.

mpw

I agree with you. I will listen to them before the purchase but the gut feeling says that it is the one!
Also, to me, this is the direction for hifi / music listening which to me is more about ease of set up and minimum set of variables. Though I went through a huge amount of gear, till date there are very few set ups that gave me the complete joy. These days a simple speaker like Libratone Zipp is the best companion for me (given my travel) and in that light, the Phantom seems to tick all the boxes especially the ability to work alone or in tandem with another as a stereo pair as well as multi room set up. Let us see how it 'unfolds' !!

I am quite surprised that I did not update this thread! For those who are interested, I have a pair of Silver Phantoms with Dialog since August 2015 and in one word they are BRILLIANT!

Well Sat,
Congrats on your purchase! I agree with the adjective used to describe the phantoms...
From a fellow Phantom owner.
PS - Picked them up last August as well.

To add to the above...
I Have to mention the level of customer service offered(Something we in India dealing with local dealers can only dream of).
In Nov 2015, immediately after a software update on the phantoms, One Phantom stopped working. It just wouldnt connect up to the rest of the chain. I started communicating with Devialet Support on their Website. After the initial checklist of do's and dont's over a period of 2 days, they said that they will have to ship the phantom back to France. Now the kicker.... All expenses for the shipping to and fro and customs if any would be handled by devialet. I was flabbergasted not because they were honouring the warranty without creating a fuss. They were also footing the entire expense. The following day UPS collection guy came over with the paperwork, all done, one phantom was sent away. Follow up communication with regard to receipt and updates on work done/ diagnosis/ prognosis at their end was very forthcoming. After 16 days, I had the phantom back home safe and sound and working as it should. Not a penny spent from my end for this. I guess I can say that the phantoms enjoyed an all expenses paid trip to France.

I am quite surprised that I did not update this thread! For those who are interested, I have a pair of Silver Phantoms with Dialog since August 2015 and in one word they are BRILLIANT!

A detailed review with your own subjective comparison to traditional systems that you have owned would be extremely helpful to the community. There is no denying that the convenience of the format of a networked all in one, expandable audio speaker system is very desirable. Where they almost always fall short is the soundstage, imaging and realism of traditionally setup speakers. What is your finding?

Aashish, the Phantoms are a fantastic package for what they do....I personally believe that soundstage and imaging are only important for people who listen to vocal music... The Phantoms are excellent speakers for playing pop, rock, instrumentals, electronic and even jazz if you are not fussy about where the singer is standing...

The bass is phenomenal looking at the their size and it's for people who do not fuss about their music/equipment but like quality and enjoy what they are listening to.... These speakers will be switched on most of the time in a house unlike a traditional system....A little expensive for me but if I had the money, I would buy it...

A detailed review with your own subjective comparison to traditional systems that you have owned would be extremely helpful to the community. There is no denying that the convenience of the format of a networked all in one, expandable audio speaker system is very desirable. Where they almost always fall short is the soundstage, imaging and realism of traditionally setup speakers. What is your finding?

The best system that I ever had (prior to Phantom) were Classe SSP, CP, CA with Kef Reference Speakers. They are superb. But if you add the price of all the components, it is easily upwards 3 - 4 times Phantoms set up price. However, I do not see any shortcomings with Phantoms in comparison except the height and width of the sound stage as of now. But otherwise it is much more simpler, easy to live with and simple to play.
Key benefits - Excellent instrument seperation, no harsh treble, sweet mid range / vocals, unbeatable bass and ofcourse ease of use. The previous system I had just before Devialet Phantom was B&O Beolab 9 with Oppo BDP-105D and phantoms beat Beolab 9 left and right any day (in my set up)!

The best system that I ever had (prior to Phantom) were Classe SSP, CP, CA with Kef Reference Speakers. They are superb. But if you add the price of all the components, it is easily upwards 3 - 4 times Phantoms set up price. However, I do not see any shortcomings with Phantoms in comparison except the height and width of the sound stage as of now. But otherwise it is much more simpler, easy to live with and simple to play.
Key benefits - Excellent instrument seperation, no harsh treble, sweet mid range / vocals, unbeatable bass and ofcourse ease of use. The previous system I had just before Devialet Phantom was B&O Beolab 9 with Oppo BDP-105D and phantoms beat Beolab 9 left and right any day (in my set up)!

You have 2 phantom ? both has 3000 watts ?
and what's your source ?

You have 2 phantom ? both has 3000 watts ?
and what's your source ?
Yes.. Two Silver Phantoms with Dialogue. In case you are interested, here is a bit info about the way they are connected

Silver Phantom Left -> Only Power Cable

Silver Phantom Right -> Only Power Cable

Dialogue -> Power Cable + Hardwired Ethernet Cable to the Router

Two Silver Phantoms, 1 Dialogue -> On the same Power Strip

Music is played via Spark App on Retina MacbookPro. Laptop connects to ethernet via Router with WLAN (802.11ac)

Music is all on iTunes and Spark App reads the iTunes Library.
The new version of the Spark App can even show the type of connection that is currently working between Dialogue and Silver Phantom and mine says PLC (Power Line Communication)

Both the Phantoms + Dialogue have Bluetooth as well as Optical connections so theoretically there are three optical inputs (and three Bluetooth) as well. I only use one on Dialogue Optical input (from TV optical out) for listening occasional TV stuff.

Hey Sat,
Wanted to know if you are using the branch/ tree as well or have u placed the phantoms on a separate stand?

Yes.. Two Silver Phantoms with Dialogue. In case you are interested, here is a bit info about the way they are connected

Silver Phantom Left -> Only Power Cable

Silver Phantom Right -> Only Power Cable

Dialogue -> Power Cable + Hardwired Ethernet Cable to the Router

Two Silver Phantoms, 1 Dialogue -> On the same Power Strip

Music is played via Spark App on Retina MacbookPro. Laptop connects to ethernet via Router with WLAN (802.11ac)

Music is all on iTunes and Spark App reads the iTunes Library.
The new version of the Spark App can even show the type of connection that is currently working between Dialogue and Silver Phantom and mine says PLC (Power Line Communication)

Both the Phantoms + Dialogue have Bluetooth as well as Optical connections so theoretically there are three optical inputs (and three Bluetooth) as well. I only use one on Dialogue Optical input (from TV optical out) for listening occasional TV stuff.

Interesting, someday may be someday i can compare Phantom to my Genelec Monitors :)

Interesting, someday may be someday i can compare Phantom to my Genelec Monitors :)

Its a different device, it includes DAC + preamp too.

The Naim Mu-so is a similar type of device.

Powered speakers have their place, and I've used Genelec, Mackie, PreSonus, and right now I'm really digging the JBL 305s, but they are not single box solutions like the Devialet. You still need a DAC, cables, and even source/transport.

The Devialet may claim to even not need a source/transport since it supports Tidal, Spotify, Deezer, Qobuz, etc. and many folks just use them for music.

An entirely different beast... and very tempting too.

Its a different device, it includes DAC + preamp too.

The Naim Mu-so is a similar type of device.

Powered speakers have their place, and I've used Genelec, Mackie, PreSonus, and right now I'm really digging the JBL 305s, but they are not single box solutions like the Devialet. You still need a DAC, cables, and even source/transport.

The Devialet may claim to even not need a source/transport since it supports Tidal, Spotify, Deezer, Qobuz, etc. and many folks just use them for music.

An entirely different beast... and very tempting too.

Which Genelec & Mackie models did you use and which was the pairing SUB ?
I use Chord Mojo as DAC+PreAmp, what did you use when you were using Active speakers ?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back