These will be my new speakers! Devialet Phantom

So are the Phantoms the right product or the Expert + Traditional speakers combo?
I do agree that they can double up as a boom box, especially with the volume at 70+. But below that which is a very comfortable listening volume, the base still digs deep but there is a definite coherence to the content. I have to admit that the phantoms do duty in the living room and the acoustics are far from ideal. i have encountered reverbs from the glass doors at higher volumes, muddled sonic signatures at times with multiple reflections off the walls.
I also have a dedicated HT room which is still under construction in my new house . To ensure that i have the right balance of acoustics there, i Ended up setting up the Phantom in the room and I gotta give it to those speakers. They impressed beyond belief. They vocals and highs were crystal clear and the base while palpable it wasnt the boomy lows I was getting with the volume turned up. Excellent imaging as well.
I believe if Devialet offered some sort of Room Correction it would go a long way in improving the experience with the Phantoms.
Unfortunately in the new house too they will be doing duty in the Living room and will be plauged with the same nuances i face in the present set up as highlighted above. Though i am seriously looking at putting a couple of acousting panels around it, wife permitting of course.
To sum up, the phantoms are like the felines, you have to put in work, effort to win them over. Traditional packages are like the canines... ever ready with a wag of a tail to please. While I am a dog person, guess I'm giving this cat a workover ;)

I bought the phantoms because I wanted to keep it simple. in that aspect, the phantoms are unbeatable. but if failed to impress me with the sound in the long run, except for the clean bass. may be its the room, may be its me. but the product is selling in numbers which suggest its a good product. wrong me then! the devialet/pmc combo is much more pleasing and it is simple enough. And i find that it actually needs only the same number of cables as the phantoms.

I bought the phantoms because I wanted to keep it simple. in that aspect, the phantoms are unbeatable. but if failed to impress me with the sound in the long run, except for the clean bass. may be its the room, may be its me. but the product is selling in numbers which suggest its a good product. wrong me then! the devialet/pmc combo is much more pleasing and it is simple enough. And i find that it actually needs only the same number of cables as the phantoms.

What other speakers did you compare or audition before taking Phantom ?
And which DAC do you use with Phantom ?

I heard the KEF LS50 wireless in a different store. that was my only other considered option. i thought the KEFs had a better mid range, but overall it sounded like it was playing at its limits regarless of the volume. it was not a fair comparison as both were in 2 different rooms and the KEF is less than half the money. in retorspect, i think i desired the phantoms more than the sound then. eventually regretted.

The phantom being completely digital, there is no DAC needed. uses inbuilt dac. there is no analogue input either.

Last edited:
I heard the KEF LS50 wireless in a different store. that was my only other considered option. i thought the KEFs had a better mid range, but overall it sounded like it was playing at its limits regarless of the volume. it was not a fair comparison as both were in 2 different rooms and the KEF is less than half the money. in retorspect, i think i desired the phantoms more than the sound then. eventually regretted.

The phantom being completely digital, there is no DAC needed. uses inbuilt dac. there is no analogue input either.

So you mean to say, you didn't audition any proper Stereo set up (Dac + Amp + Speakers).. ..!!

Anyways, if you are enjoying the sound, that's all matter. Happy listening :)

No i didnt. I wanted good clean sound with minimum number of boxes and cables. Streamer/dac/amp/speakers in separate boxes is not feasible.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back