Thiel CS 3.7

I would say to look the BBC, a Harbeth, Spendor, PMC or used Rogers on the market.
nosortf

Harbeth and Spendor - Yes.
PMC ..I would not put in the musical category..very similiar to BMW as a "Genre".
Rogers i would avoid...they dont exist anymore as a company.

But then these are the old heritage speakers which may have been in ones limited choice a couple of decades ago. Today there are a lot more speakers/brands with a wider variety to suit ones Palate.

Hello, I just mentioned names that the BBC have used or use in their studios. I would put it this way, they are all very good speakers, quite different from each other, all musically compelling. Listen to them all and make the call.
Matrix hero has mentioned an interesting choice in the German brand. Very rare to come by, once heard never forgotten, a gem of a speaker that has my admiration.
nosortf

Last edited:
I've never really liked the dali's.
If not placed well they've a coherence problem & To me the ribbon does get bright on the dali's.

If you want an ESl like transparency than i don't think the Theils are for you.
I would still encourage you to look at the mangers. It has a very good balance of the things you are looking for in the speakers.
All the best.
Cheers

When I see 'Manger' here, I recall a respectable reviewer's words written a few years ago when he was strolling through a high-end audio show writing about what he felt while listening to several systems displayed, and it was something like this---

"The Manger speakers were sounding like somebody was hitting an old Chevrolet hub cap with a ball-peen hammer...."

Don't, please, ask me more.

cheers.
murali

When I see 'Manger' here, I recall a respectable reviewer's words written a few years ago when he was strolling through a high-end audio show writing about what he felt while listening to several systems displayed, and it was something like this---

"The Manger speakers were sounding like somebody was hitting an old Chevrolet hub cap with a ball-peen hammer...."

cheers.
murali

I think that is what the speaker must Have been playing ie "Chevrolet hub cap with a ball-peen hammer" :rolleyes:

it is a really good speaker...though a bit over priced for what it can do.

Humour counts well in life, indeed. Thank you, gentlemen (I hope I have addressed correctly, and not changed gender!).

By the way, I am coming home next week-end on a one-week vacation and am seriously considering picking up a pair of Ayre MX-R monoblocks to augument the Audio Research Ref-3 preamp I brought last time. It will replace the Ayre V-5xe, if I go for it. I have still not disposed of my earlier VTL 5.5 line-stage. I still love it and am seriously considering setting up a second system in my living room. My Vandy 2Ce Signature speakers are still excellent though I have bought a Quattro now but finding it difficult to carry in such short visits. But a great buy has been a used pair of Audioquest Sky ICs which will now reinforce the Cheetah I already use.

Any suggestions for a better power amp than the MX-R available in India?

The only problem in this hobby of ours is that every time I bring in something I really love, I have to part a hefty sum to the Indian government, thanks to Customs. But at least we contribute to the exchequer.

cheers.
murali

Hello, the German speaker called Manger is very unique. I heard it in an audio exhibition in Bombay many years ago. I don't remember the cd player and amplifiers but was amazed how a big speaker played so well in a very small room. The sound was well balanced over the entire musical range and very involving and soothing. All the walls just disappeared, a thing I wish I could replicate in my home. I must mention that none of the other big name brands could approach to that sound in the exhibition. Hearing that sound I wished I could have afforded it, but sadly couldn't.
nosortf

Any suggestions for a better power amp than the MX-R available in India?

The only problem in this hobby of ours is that every time I bring in something I really love, I have to part a hefty sum to the Indian government, thanks to Customs. But at least we contribute to the exchequer.

cheers.
murali

Maybe the Cadence Canasya Monoblocks..they may be above your Budget though. From what I have heard of the Vandersteen 2CE, the tubes might take care of the slight hootiness these speakers have in their midrange.

Last edited:
Hello, the MX-R is a very highly acclaimed amplifier. I however believe that price is rarely an indicator of performance. There may exist an amplifier that is well
priced and deliver the sound you desire.
nosortf

very true..in fact Ayre products are pretty amazing for their price. From what I have heard The Cadence Canasya is apparently very good too !

cheers.
murali

:lol::lol:
I guess the reviewer was missing his old job.

On a more serious note.
I've heard the mangers with various amps & it's never sounded fatiguing. Those who've heard it, will agree. It could be possible that the reviewer might've heard a tweaked version sold in the USA, which has a diff crossover & silver cabling & which Im told gets bright on some recordings.

@arj I disagree with your impression on the pmc. What was the rest of the chain??
I agree with you on the canasya its def an amp to consider

Hello, I would say it is best to only comment on components that one has heard themselves. To base your views on a reviewer is actually wrong. There are personal tastes and personal(financial) agendas with reviewers, a fact well known which stopped me from believing reviews several years ago. Only our own ears are the best judge. I have heard the topline Harbeths, Spendors, B&Ws, PMCs, Proacs(non ribbon), Mangers, KEFs, Thiels and so I comment. Here is the list for the most musical ones.
1) Harbeths, Proacs and Spendors come first
2) KEF and PMCs follow
3) B&W, Thiels are last
Mangers are a different type and will suit people who want no hifi type sound from their system but just a relaxed rich sound.
However the best speaker from all of the above brands that I heard is from KEF called the BLADE.
nosortf

Hello, I would say it is best to only comment on components that one has heard themselves. To base your views on a reviewer is actually wrong. There are personal tastes and personal(financial) agendas with reviewers, a fact well known which stopped me from believing reviews several years ago. Only our own ears are the best judge. I have heard the topline Harbeths, Spendors, B&Ws, PMCs, Proacs(non ribbon), Mangers, KEFs, Thiels and so I comment. Here is the list for the most musical ones.
1) Harbeths, Proacs and Spendors come first
2) KEF and PMCs follow
3) B&W, Thiels are last
Mangers are a different type and will suit people who want no hifi type sound from their system but just a relaxed rich sound.
However the best speaker from all of the above brands that I heard is from KEF called the BLADE.
nosortf

but, where did you hear this? - at the las vegas show? - AFAIK these are not for sale - the kef blade concept?

:lol::lol:
I guess the reviewer was missing his old job.

On a more serious note.
I've heard the mangers with various amps & it's never sounded fatiguing. Those who've heard it, will agree. It could be possible that the reviewer might've heard a tweaked version sold in the USA, which has a diff crossover & silver cabling & which Im told gets bright on some recordings.

@arj I disagree with your impression on the pmc. What was the rest of the chain??
I agree with you on the canasya its def an amp to consider
Neo, it was quite a while ago that I heard it. I was in discussion with PMC bookshelf owner a few years ago on a speaker he had for sale...but did not go through as the amp i had then would not have been able to drive it well... I ended up with a JMR twin

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back