Thiel CS 3.7

but, where did you hear this? - at the las vegas show? - AFAIK these are not for sale - the kef blade concept?

Hello, Suri you are right they are not for sale. I heard them much before the CES 2010 show. Spectacular engineering in mechanics and material sciences. From the available models in above brands, the most lifelike sound is from the big PMCs models though they are not very flattering and smooth for audiophile types of sound.
nosortf

Last edited:
Hello, the German speaker called Manger is very unique. I heard it in an audio exhibition in Bombay many years ago. I don't remember the cd player and amplifiers but was amazed how a big speaker played so well in a very small room. The sound was well balanced over the entire musical range and very involving and soothing. All the walls just disappeared, a thing I wish I could replicate in my home. I must mention that none of the other big name brands could approach to that sound in the exhibition. Hearing that sound I wished I could have afforded it, but sadly couldn't.
nosortf

Hi

I know of someone who is selling Manger 103s for sale said to be three years old for 3 lacs. Would it be a worthy buy?

Hello, if the set is in good shape then I would say a bargain. I remember them being quoted at 7lacs when asked at the show several years ago. A friend told me they are now at 10 to 11 lacs today. You need to see into this properly though.
nosortf

agree with the post above. additioally you need really good amplification to get the best out of them

Hi

I know of someone who is selling Manger 103s for sale said to be three years old for 3 lacs. Would it be a worthy buy?

hi captrajesh,

if there are young children in that house be aware that most of them are very interested in pushing in the loudspeaker cone. - and the manger diaphragm must be very attractive and irresistible to the young mind - how will you know? - if the manger has been damaged? - i am not sure, but do not proceed before a health check.

regds

I think that is what the speaker must Have been playing ie "Chevrolet hub cap with a ball-peen hammer" :rolleyes:

it is a really good speaker...though a bit over priced for what it can do.

The Manger name is continuing in this discussion and out of curiosity, I dug out the old CES report of the Absolute Sound's reviewer who attended the show:

Quote:
Good sound at the official CES:
The venerable B&W Nautilus 801 speakers sounded very musical and right, driven by a NIRO integrated amp sourced from a mid-line Sony SACD player. Jim Thiel showed the latest CS1.6 model using Boulder and VTL amps and at about $2,300 per pair (substantially under the price category that I was supposed to consider for the magazine) demonstrated a far better sound compared to speakers costing much, much more. Richard Vandersteen's Reference Monitors ($6,995 per pair) were excellent. So too were Verity Audio Fidelio speakers ($7,995 per pair), van Schwiekert VR-4 speakers, all driven by decent electronics of Nagra, Hovland, Meitner etc....
Bad sound too...:
Manger, the latest German manufacturer to promote a bending wave tranducer, was demonstrating their Zerobox speaker system producing sound completely foreign to my experience. To call the Manger sound "musically unnatural" would be a gross understatement. The Manger driver looks like a hub cap for a 1956 Oldsmobile and the sound I heard reminded me of a steel hub cap being tapped by a ball peen hammer. Although there were several contenders, I'd vote for the Mangers as the worst sound at the CES. The Joseph Audio speakers in the Ayre room were bright enough to heat-seal plastic bags across the hall. At high volume levels, this sytem could make my ears bleed but two magazine reviewers were happily listening to Sheryl Crow sing "If It Makes You Happy" at rock concert levels. Magenpan presented a multichannel demonstration that sounded dreadful, thin, harsh, shrill and nasty. Two old friends, Jim Smith and Casey McKee, demonstrated the Avantgarde hornspeakers using SET amps. The appeal for this product eludes me. The sound was dynamic and relaxed but extremely colored and musically unnatural. Imaging was virtually absent. There were a number of horn speakers at the show like Lowther but none could produce sound that I could relate to and I can no longer tolerate speaker systems that can't deliver flat frequency response within a +/- 10dB window of error, and believe me, none of these could.

Unquote:
I am not saying or agreeing to any of these but it is always good to read others' viewpoints (this is only one of them) before using our intelligence and logic to derive our own conclusions to what we hear.

Probably one of the last postings in this forum from my side, especially after reading some recent statements in various links.

Let me close with a couple of lines from an old (Simon & Garfunkel) song:

"People talking without speaking,
people hearing without listening..."

Finally, let me hope we will one day get a big breakthrough in speaker technology, hopefully following the development of an automobile without an internal combustion engine.

cheers.
murali

Finally, let me hope we will one day get a big breakthrough in speaker technology, hopefully following the development of an automobile without an internal combustion engine.

cheers.
murali

er ..you mean like the Electrical Vehicles ? ;)

one of the audiophiles in mumbai actually had a Manger Zerobox and I was in touch with him..(I think with Jadis amplification/Audio Aero source) . he has pretty good ears and seemed to like it.

Was it mentioned as to what amplification was used on the mangers ?

hey arj,

i just wanted to say that i am so into electric vehicles and modern automobile technology - it has so destroyed our dependence on older technology and fossil fuels!

who is that american manufacturer who has a production electric sports car? - just destroys old technology!

regards,
suri

hey arj,

i just wanted to say that i am so into electric vehicles and modern automobile technology - it has so destroyed our dependence on older technology and fossil fuels!

who is that american manufacturer who has a production electric sports car? - just destroys old technology!

regards,
suri
:eek:hyeah:
BTW Did you mean tesla ?
slide1.jpeg

seems pretty apt to be named after Nicola Tesla who is arguably one of the most prolific researchers on applied electricity

BTW Did you mean tesla ?
slide1.jpeg

seems pretty apt to be named after Nicola Tesla who is arguably one of the most prolific researchers on applied electricity

Yep thats the one! I still remember the Top Gear episode where the Elise gets smoked by the Tesla. The Tesla is based on the Elise, the main difference being the powerplant.

BTW Did you mean tesla ?
slide1.jpeg

yes, that is the ONE!

i will be saving my money for that! probably (just probably) will not waste it buying exotic cd players, and associated electronics - you get my drift? - but hey, i would spend upwards of $20,000 (US) for a reasonable pair of stereo loudspeakers.

regds,

yes, that is the ONE!

i will be saving my money for that! probably (just probably) will not waste it buying exotic cd players, and associated electronics - you get my drift? - but hey, i would spend upwards of $20,000 (US) for a reasonable pair of stereo loudspeakers.

regds,

Hmm..But since you anyway have a "powerplant" in it..you could do This...looks like surround sound for the whole block.
caraudio5-300x235.jpg

i just love the smooth drift of this thread............

the last pic was A W E S O M E :lol: Maybe we should park that vehicle on the Indo-Pak border ;) and fool the other side :eek:hyeah:

yeah, but we might get pak audiophiles getting killed in crossfire - and we cannot allow that, can we? - people who love equipment and music are not bound by the narrow confines of state, religion, jealousy and hatred (and of course, a sneering attitude!!;))

and that car will attract!!

Hello, if the set is in good shape then I would say a bargain. I remember them being quoted at 7lacs when asked at the show several years ago. A friend told me they are now at 10 to 11 lacs today. You need to see into this properly though.
nosortf

agree with the post above. additionally you need really good amplification to get the best out of them

hi captrajesh,

if there are young children in that house be aware that most of them are very interested in pushing in the loudspeaker cone. - and the manger diaphragm must be very attractive and irresistible to the young mind - how will you know? - if the manger has been damaged? - i am not sure, but do not proceed before a health check.

regds

The Manger name is continuing in this discussion and out of curiosity, I dug out the old CES report of the Absolute Sound's reviewer who attended the show:

Quote:
Good sound at the official CES:
Bad sound too...:
Manger, the latest German manufacturer to promote a bending wave tranducer, was demonstrating their Zerobox speaker system producing sound completely foreign to my experience. To call the Manger sound "musically unnatural" would be a gross understatement. The Manger driver looks like a hub cap for a 1956 Oldsmobile and the sound I heard reminded me of a steel hub cap being tapped by a ball peen hammer. Although there were several contenders, I'd vote for the Mangers as the worst sound at the CES.
Unquote:

I am not saying or agreeing to any of these but it is always good to read others' viewpoints (this is only one of them) before using our intelligence and logic to derive our own conclusions to what we hear.
murali
Thank you very much to all of you for your valuable advice. I read about review of Manger in AV Max magazine some years back which stated that Manger sound is very different and close to being natural.

Hence my interest in that product.

Probably one of the last postings in this forum from my side, especially after reading some recent statements in various links.

cheers.
murali

Mr. Murali, you say that this is one of your last postings and expect us to say cheers to you. It will be sad news to the forum that someone leaves it coz someone else has stated something somewhere.

I'm not aware of the "recent statements in various links". Could you eloborate; if I may so ask?

According to me, what we do and say should in no way be affected by "others"

@ Capt rajesh if you do intend to get the mangers I suggest you get an audition before you put your money .It will certainly worth the experience.
The 103 will require a big room esp if it is a 103/3 & very good quality amplification.
All the best.
Cheers.

Last edited:
@ Capt rajesh if you do intend to get the mangers I suggest you get an audition before you put your money .It will certainly worth the experience.
The 103 will require a big room esp if it is a 103/3 & very good quality amplification.
All the best.
Cheers.

Thank you very much for your advice. Hope to do it sometime.

Sorry to resurrect this long dead thread, but does anyone know who the dealers are for this in India? Pricing?

abhijit,
the dealers are:

1. boomerang, mumbai - grattan vaz
2. the audio people, chennai - jalal

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back