Three DACs free build from me

hi Kaushik
Great offers.
One thing I have realized that I do not find enough time at home to listen to music on my low fi. I can spend much time with music while sitting in the office.
So, if you can include a headphone amp with the dac in the same box, I would also like to order.
Any chance of putting a tube output stage?

regards

suri is correct ,
refer this page , Using Apple's AirPort Express with a DAC: A how-to guide | Crave - CNET
we need to get the DAC kit that has same i/p options as the the DAC mentioned .

About this thread :
--------------------------------------------------------
List of members requested and added for free build
-------------------------------------------------------

Suri - Member 1
spirovious - Member 2
?? - Member 3 , empty (fast filling :) )

Confused members can wait for completion of the first 3 DACs.
List of kits
1 )DAC y1: Just 31$ ..(did i calculate well)

+ toroidal PSU cost(unknown)/SMPS (approx 2$) + locally done case (<10$)
- Supports USB, S/PDIF coax and optical inputs (switchable).
-24-bit 192KHz high-performance Wolfson ?? oversampling DAC
2) DAC y2
-uses Y1 board ,with extra add ons ,better performance than Y1

- Ultra-low jitter onboard CMOS oscillator for IS master clock
-Analog line outputs (RCA jacks and 3.5mm stereo mini jack),
with high output current and low output impedance.

3)Opus dac :

$55.00 (un-assembled ,assembled =175$ :( )
-based around the Wolfson's top of-the-line WM8741
-It offers I2S and DSD inputs
-Separate analog and digital power sections with LDO
from National Semiconductor

there is shipping and customs,so if individually ordered
cost will go 30 -40% extra. And we all know group buys
fail all the time.

list to be updated ... inputs from forum members awaited
for a useful kit list

hi Kaushik
Great offers.
One thing I have realized that I do not find enough time at home to listen to music on my low fi. I can spend much time with music while sitting in the office.
So, if you can include a headphone amp with the dac in the same box, I would also like to order.

regards

Suri - Member 1
spirovious - Member 2
iaudio- Member 3

Other members will gave to pay a minimal fee and there will a limit of builds that i will do in a month ,keep in touch
for the next batch.

anm,
there are USB powered headphone amp+ dac kits in head fi
well built .. tube output is a luxury ,specially tubes and audio transformer if there etc difficult to source.If you get these we can plan in future. Glass jar audio has tube based
kits .
may be iaudio will do the build by december,so any one member can have a free build if he gets the kit in november09.

Is it a group buy?

Not at present,there are many people who wants y2/y1 dacs
I have decided not to take group buy initiative seeing past attempts.

Some one else(not me) can arrange group buy:
To cut the confusion in the group buy i recommend
-Group buy statement :
What is the plan
- Group buy joinin fee:All interested members interested deposit one small amount non -refundable money to one a/c,the groupbuy co-ordinator, within a deadline time say 5 days
- This joinin amount will be deducted from the kit price
- Final payments:Once order date finalized the members pay 50 - 100% (co-ordinators decision) groupbuy amount

I hope some one will volunteer for this groupbuy arrangement.

Last edited:
hi Kaushik
Great offers.

regards

the gamma 1 and gamma2 both power headphones too out of the box
this is an added advantage of these dacs

great gesture kaushik!
I hope at least i can see a few happy members ..
specially learning part is important , people
have confusion about DACs ,infact i will get
exposure to signature of the DAC sounds.

This dac build opens a cost effective way to continue
enjoy music...when we will enter reference grade
dac builds we will save huge money too. For
eg. the buffelo dac chip is just 70$ or so even less a self contained reference DAC chip but the kit is very very costly , if we do the same here in house it will be affordable even to newcomers ...just need to arrange the
minimal extra components.

tally3tally,
Great help .. please do keep it up ,i am getting less time to
go through Y2 features

Suri - Member 1
spirovious - Member 2
iaudio- Member 3

Other members will gave to pay a minimal fee and there will a limit of builds that i will do in a month ,keep in touch
for the next batch.

anm,
there are USB powered headphone amp+ dac kits in head fi
well built .. tube output is a luxury ,specially tubes and audio transformer if there etc difficult to source.If you get these we can plan in future. Glass jar audio has tube based
kits .
may be iaudio will do the build by december,so any one member can have a free build if he gets the kit in november09.

Is it a group buy?

Not at present,there are many people who wants y2/y1 dacs
I have decided not to take group buy initiative seeing past attempts.

Some one else(not me) can arrange group buy:
To cut the confusion in the group buy i recommend
-Group buy statement :
What is the plan
- Group buy joinin fee:All interested members interested deposit one small amount non -refundable money to one a/c,the groupbuy co-ordinator, within a deadline time say 5 days
- This joinin amount will be deducted from the kit price
- Final payments:Once order date finalized the members pay 50 - 100% (co-ordinators decision) groupbuy amount

I hope some one will volunteer for this groupbuy arrangement.

hi kaushik,

i do not mind - i will order on my credit card, and once the goods are delivered to me, and from me to you, the entire cost can be divided by three-

only request is - the three kits should be identical, and the configuration of the kit should be final before order, and 80% of the estimated cost be sent to me via bank transfer before the order is placed.

regards

i will also need a letter from each in the group stating the purpose of the money being sent to me - this is for my chartered accountant and IT

if somebody in bangalore volunteers, it could work out cheaper, since i will not have to courier it from here - also, less risk of damage during transit from cannanore to bangalore

Last edited:
hi kaushik,

i do not mind - i will order on my credit card, and once the goods are delivered to me, and from me to you, the entire cost can be divided by three-

only request is - the three kits should be identical, and the configuration of the kit should be final before order, and 80% of the estimated cost be sent to me via bank transfer before the order is placed.

regards

i will also need a letter from each in the group stating the purpose of the money being sent to me - this is for my chartered accountant and IT

if somebody in bangalore volunteers, it could work out cheaper, since i will not have to courier it from here - also, less risk of damage during transit from cannanore to bangalore

Thanks for helping out Suri. I can send you the letter and the money as you have specified.

hi kaushik,

regards

suri ,
great initiative from you..
so suri you have to co-ordinate the group buy.

shipping to bangalore will be approx 13Rs per kg via GATI cargo, with insurance.
DTDC upto 500 gram is about 60rs or so,1kg may be 80Rs
if you pack specially hardly wont cross >100Rs all will share that.

------------------------
SUMMERY:
------------------------
> Three or more DAC kit group buy ( kit to be finalized)
> Group-buy co-ordinator :suri
> First three free assembly by kaushik
>Suri will formulate a group buy statement:
for example :
-------------------------------------
Summery : Group buy for y1 Kit

estimated cost per kit = ...Rs
Url for order =
shipping approx matrix =... Rs for 3 kits
...Rs for 6 kits
Customs =12 - 23 %
includes parts: .. ...
excludes : .... to be locally purchased
Scheduled date of order :

***Payment terms:
Notes:
---------------------------------------
> other three kits i will build
at a minimal fee

Last edited:
Kaushik - I anticipate soliciting your services at some point of time in the near future. I also want to add two more DAC kit options for your and other users' consideration.

The Satch DAC and the Peter Daniel NOS DAC.

I am getting good support from bangalore members

thevortex,
add the pricing and features if you can .

Cabinets not to worry,wood aluminum combo is easy,
if customized glowing logo
any one wants (see my glowing logo thread in DIY)
just i need a low cost window cutter vendor ,on aluminum ,may be with laser machines .

For holes etc i have access to lathe shops..

here is a pic of extruded enclosure we can add for the outer shell,
Not sure about the buffalo dac , shoot an email ..
some times they keep limited kits for expensive units say
20 pcs,time to time you see out-of -stock

Can somebody well versed with DACs come out and mention the brightest prospects out of these DAC kits?

The Satch and the Peter Daniel NOS DAC along with the Gamma 2 interest me. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Oh and how could I neglect the Lampucera? :)

Can somebody well versed with DACs come out and mention the brightest prospects out of these DAC kits?

The Satch and the Peter Daniel NOS DAC along with the Gamma 2 interest me. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Oh and how could I neglect the Lampucera? :)

I'm not well-versed with DACs but just wanted to add this observation. If you foresee a lot of HD audio tracks in your future, NOS DACs would not work. The Lampucera appears to be a very good bet if all the mods specified could be done. The base DAC used in it is pretty in-expensive...

Last edited:
Hi all thread participants,

for this project to proceed to a successful completion- (soon)

(1) there has to be one person who decides what is what, and what to order - i have a gut feeling that kaushik knows what he is doing ; therefore, if the participants are willing, can we give kaushik carte blanche? This way, doubts will be removed, and we can place our trust/faith in god (kaushik).

(2) monies have to be provided tout de suite - spirovious' brother in bangalore may be the person to send the money to (if he agrees), and once this is done, the project can proceed towards completion.

So, let us agree to agree?:)

I'm not well-versed with DACs but just wanted to add this observation. If you foresee a lot of HD audio tracks in your future, NOS DACs would not work. The Lampucera appears to be a very good bet if all the mods specified could be done. The base DAC used in it is pretty in-expensive...

Yes, its potential is well highlighted at the Lampizator site as well. But I am curious about how it would potentially compare with the other DACs in this mix.

Personally I am least bothered about HD audio. Simple stereo is what I need.

As per DAC recommendation i am fresher,
As per building electronics i have crossed may be 200+ boards..
One member can come and see 28SSOP chip soldered and working
at my place.

smd soldering i did upto 100 pin Qfp IC ,
next attempt is 209 pin.. if the kit is y1 the chips even
have lesser pins.

Ok , i personally take the risk of damage of kits "while
building"...[money refund]

one bangalore member verifies that
parcel arrives to me at a proper condition. Also
any one can be at my place to see the assembly.
In fact will be better if i get help while doing assembly.

If someone else can do the build,that is also fine .

now just will say "darna mana hai"

clear out confusions guys... if any

Last edited:
@kaushik
about building the gamma dac series
you can order parts from farnell from their singapore website
there are no shipping charges to india
i just did a test build and the cost of just the gamma2 board parts works out to about S$131 less the dac chip as it is not available at farnell
15ubsy.jpg

2qvb4g5.jpg

the resistors and capacitors are only available in sets of 10 so if someone orders carefully for a group the cost overall would be less
other parts have to be ordered from AMB
furthermore
if the orders are kept under 10k no customs duties would be applicable

cheers

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back