Three DACs free build from me

Hi all thread participants,

for this project to proceed to a successful completion- (soon)

(2) monies have to be provided tout de suite - spirovious' brother in bangalore may be the person to send the money to (if he agrees), and once this is done, the project can proceed towards completion.

So, let us agree to agree?:)

Yes ,He is ready.He is not AV guy & we need to tell him details before order.
I will update tomorrow.

@kaushik
about building the gamma dac series
you can order parts from farnell from their singapore website
there are no shipping charges to india
i just did a test build and the cost of just the gamma2 board parts works out to about S$131 less the dac chip as it is not available at farnell
15ubsy.jpg

2qvb4g5.jpg

the resistors and capacitors are only available in sets of 10 so if someone orders carefully for a group the cost overall would be less
other parts have to be ordered from AMB
furthermore
if the orders are kept under 10k no customs duties would be applicable

cheers

tally3tally,
you are the one for the DAC SQ recommendation... farnell is helpful ,
farnell singapore is cheaper than indian? But they stock components and take a premium price for each

for three kits the math is not that great ,also needs
component -vendor listing etc..
doubt factor among people etc .

I am already trying list of sources for my USB dac..

many are confused about risk of this adventure
so letme build a good trust ..

so i offloaded the odering part , let people go with standard , ordering way for DAC.

I know 10k gift limit is there for order buy customs sometime catch big sized parcel even it comes like gift.

suri ,
Group buy statement if you make people will find easy to follow what is happening...

i will link it to the first message.

Last edited:
Spiro, Thanks, I had seen that link earlier and I am going through that. Any others( less modding and component talk, and a few takes on sound signature:eek:?)?

Not much available,but if you check my every post here,I got little closer info.Try opening one by one.

Y2 seems to be into brighter side tonally (more treble with less bass). I am looking for a slightly warm sounding DAC w/ great details (reference quality if it is within the budget) which is similar to Beresford 7520 or better. Are there any options?

Some of the expensive DACs doesnt have upsampling to 24bit 192KHz, is it required for music or does it makes any difference in SQ? Which DAC chip is better for producing natural sound?

...Some of the expensive DACs doesnt have upsampling to 24bit 192KHz, is it required for music or does it makes any difference in SQ? Which DAC chip is better for producing natural sound?

You would need an OS DAC if you're planning to buy a lot of HD audio tracks, for example, from a source like HDtracks.com. This way you could just buy all your music in HD quality and play them off your PC or any other media player. Ofcourse if you don't see yourself doing any of this, you'd be best served by a NOS DAC, like the Peter Daniel NOS DAC. According to what I hear, they also seem to have a a sound signature that you just might like...

Y2 seems to be into brighter side tonally (more treble with less bass). I am looking for a slightly warm sounding DAC w/ great details (reference quality if it is within the budget) which is similar to Beresford 7520 or better. Are there any options?

Some of the expensive DACs doesnt have upsampling to 24bit 192KHz, is it required for music or does it makes any difference in SQ? Which DAC chip is better for producing natural sound?

Damn! Thats one thing I was afraid of!
Sajith, very did you come to learn that the y2 dac souns bright?

Even I prefer warm but detailed sound. The bass doesnt have to be very punchy neither should the treble be irritating, and yes great mids for those vocals and guitars:licklips:
Am I asking for too much:p?

Damn! Thats one thing I was afraid of!
Sajith, very did you come to learn that the y2 dac souns bright?

Even I prefer warm but detailed sound. The bass doesnt have to be very punchy neither should the treble be irritating, and yes great mids for those vocals and guitars:licklips:
Am I asking for too much:p?

Building my AMB Labs Y1 Mini Dac - Gamma 1 - portable usb dac - AMB Laboratories ~ Fault151 - the personal blog of Mark Sugdon

This is Y1, but not sure about the Y2.

?2 uses (only) ?1's USB and S/PDIF receiver sections for IS datastream.then up sampler chip upsamples to 96KHz.(we can disable)

finally data is fed to Wolfson WM8741 or WM8742 DAC chip which is better than y1 Dac chip.

y2 also has ultra-low jitter 24.576MHz CMOS oscillator .

One can drop the y1 DAC chip and associated components.
If we make full y1 then user gets 2 DACs in in box . I dont think it is needed(making the y1 Dac part).

I know stuff are getting complicated for many.
approx cost per DAC will be near 5k Rs.

Do we have a choosen one here ? If it is y2 i will make a xls of needed parts.

Last edited:
One can drop the y1 DAC chip and associated components.

If we make full y1 then user gets 2 DACs in in box . I dont think it is needed(making the y1 Dac part).
from the AMB website:-

The ?1 and ?2 boards plug into each other to form a two-board "sandwich". ?1 provides USB and S/PDIF receiver functionality and feeds the IS digital audio datastream to the ?2. ?1 also supplies the raw 5V DC power to the ?2, which is then regulated locally on the ?2 board.

?2 could also used standalone as an upgrade DAC for any device that already has an IS bus (e.g., A CD player or digital media player). Simply connect the IS bus to the ?2 board and hook up a 5V DC power supply

Configurations of Gamma1 possible
* A: Full configuration (USB, S/PDIF coax and optical inputs,
selectable with front panel switch).
* B: Lite configuration (USB input only, no selector switch).
* C: USB-to-S/PDIF converter (no DAC board).{Not compatible with
GAMMA2}

* D: USB-to-IS converter (no DAC board).
* E: S/PDIF DAC only (coax and optical inputs, selectable with front panel
switch, no USB board).
* F: Full++ configuration (combination of A and C).

So My observations

1. If you Make a standalone Gamma2 then You have to feed it with a IS bus signal {more complicated setup and would require a CD player to be dismantled.}
and this is the only setup where you would not require a gamma 1 Dac board

2. All other configurations of a Gamma2 would require a populated gamma1 board.

3 . In All but one configuration of Gamma2 you get 2 Dacs in a box, both of which are required
cheers

Back