Three DACs free build from me

i feel the only way this is going to work is- (as i can understand)

gamma 1 and gamma 2 boards are both needed
and gamma 2 slots into gamma1

the extruded aluminium box is specially designed with slots to accept the two boards for their mating.

Now, if somebody gives me the exact details of what to buy down to the last screw - i will take the risk and buy and send it to kaushik - who can then build and test it - once that is done, let kaushik send it to spirovious by courier so he can test it and see if he likes it, and spirovious can then send it to me.

if the thread participants can zero in on one kit and tell me what (exactly) to buy....

regards

from the AMB website:-

The ?1 and ?2 boards plug into each other to form a two-board "sandwich". ?1 provides USB and S/PDIF receiver functionality and feeds the IS digital audio datastream to the ?2. ?1 also supplies the raw 5V DC power to the ?2, which is then regulated locally on the ?2 board.

?2 could also used standalone as an upgrade DAC for any device that already has an IS bus (e.g., A CD player or digital media player). Simply connect the IS bus to the ?2 board and hook up a 5V DC power supply

Configurations of Gamma1 possible
* A: Full configuration (USB, S/PDIF coax and optical inputs,
selectable with front panel switch).
* B: Lite configuration (USB input only, no selector switch).
* C: USB-to-S/PDIF converter (no DAC board).{Not compatible with
GAMMA2}

* D: USB-to-IS converter (no DAC board).
* E: S/PDIF DAC only (coax and optical inputs, selectable with front panel
switch, no USB board).
* F: Full++ configuration (combination of A and C).

So My observations

1. If you Make a standalone Gamma2 then You have to feed it with a IS bus signal {more complicated setup and would require a CD player to be dismantled.}
and this is the only setup where you would not require a gamma 1 Dac board

2. All other configurations of a Gamma2 would require a populated gamma1 board.

3 . In All but one configuration of Gamma2 you get 2 Dacs in a box, both of which are required
cheers

I was referring to WM 8541 chip in y1 and components ..

as the task is taken by y2 DAC WM8741 or so i guess...
not telling to avoid y1 board.

Power supply any way needed , i2s converter is must,usb sections optional .

Also for Independent I2S source,
i am checking the feasibility of tapping DVD player I2s
But this may take time and Diy skills ,not for everyone.

Last edited:
I was referring to WM 8541 chip in y1 and components ..

as the task is taken by y2 DAC WM8741 or so i guess...
not telling to avoid y1 board.

Power supply any way needed , i2s converter is must,usb sections optional .

Kaushik, so that means we need both the y1 and y2 boards right? I had come across this on the thread in head fi. Good tally and cmsajith brought it up.

Suri, if the Gamma is to be zeroed in on? where do you plan to source the components from?

Finally, what all factors here will influence the sound signature of the dac? The Wolfson chip, Capacitors used?

let kaushik send it to spirovious by courier so he can test it and see if he likes it, and spirovious can then send it to me.

regards

Well I still dont have stereo amp & may be difficult for me do judge.
May someone from Banglore help us.

Secondly I am confused abt the brds to be ordered & parts to be selected.
Which combo can be close to audiophile grade?

Kaushik, so that means we need both the y1 and y2 boards right? I had come across this on the thread in head fi. Good tally and cmsajith brought it up.

Suri, if the Gamma is to be zeroed in on? where do you plan to source the components from?

Finally, what all factors here will influence the sound signature of the dac? The Wolfson chip, Capacitors used?

i need somebody to tell me exactly what to buy and where from - willing to buy the complete kit including the extruded aluminium box - opt for the best components available (again, need to be told exactly ) and then all of us can audition and see what it sounds like

@kaushik
you are right only the USB is optional IMHO

1 If the requirement is only optical and S/PDIF inputs and Analog outputs
the configuration would be
Gamma1 in Config E S/PDIF DAC only config (coax and optical inputs, selectable with front panel switch, no USB board)
Gamma2 mated to it

2 If the requirement is Only USB then

Gamma1 in Lite config ie only USB board
gamma 2 mated to it

3 If requirement is USB , S/PDIF and optical input then
Gamma1 in Full A config and
gamma2 mated to it

In all of the above cost can be cut by using custom Cases, Custom faceplates and non up-sampling feature

@suri if you tell me what is your choice of features i will be able to make a Bill of materials and will post it here , it can be compared with other gurus making their own list and the pointing out corrections as and where required

the parts from AMB have to be sourced from USA itself
other parts can be sourced from Farnell singapore{they have a dropdown for Shipping to India and no shipping charges apply

these parts (well some of them) should be available locally donno where to look.
cheers

i need somebody to tell me exactly what to buy and where from - willing to buy the complete kit including the extruded aluminium box - opt for the best components available (again, need to be told exactly ) and then all of us can audition and see what it sounds like

This site has details,but photos do vary-
AMB audio shop

One has to select Y2 opt.

tally3tally- 3rd option is best.

Last edited:
@kaushik
you are right only the USB is optional IMHO

1 If the requirement is only optical and S/PDIF inputs and Analog outputs
the configuration would be
Gamma1 in Config E S/PDIF DAC only config (coax and optical inputs, selectable with front panel switch, no USB board)
Gamma2 mated to it

2 If the requirement is Only USB then

Gamma1 in Lite config ie only USB board
gamma 2 mated to it

3 If requirement is USB , S/PDIF and optical input then
Gamma1 in Full A config and
gamma2 mated to it

In all of the above cost can be cut by using custom Cases, Custom faceplates and non up-sampling feature

@suri if you tell me what is your choice of features i will be able to make a Bill of materials and will post it here , it can be compared with other gurus making their own list and the pointing out corrections as and where required

the parts from AMB have to be sourced from USA itself
other parts can be sourced from Farnell singapore{they have a dropdown for Shipping to India and no shipping charges apply

these parts (well some of them) should be available locally donno where to look.
cheers

hi tally3tally,

option 3, but with custom case, and upsampling included

thanks and regards

@spirovious
Yes that provides the most flexbility in terms of inputs
but the usb input is not needed for my setup as and when i make it
its a personal decision
BTW from the AMB website again

# The S/PDIF inputs (coax and optical) support resolutions and sampling rates up to 24-bits 192KHz, but the DAC configuration is limited to 24-bit 96KHz for best digital filter response (see the circuit descriptions in the schematic diagram section for details).
# The maximum USB resolution and sampling rate is 16-bit 48KHz.

so the statistics here again indicate that S/Pdif and optical would be better than USB
if you can hear the frequencies and discern the difference is another question alltogether :D

OK so ill work on the Option 3 and post a BOM here ASAP

# The S/PDIF inputs (coax and optical) support resolutions and sampling rates up to 24-bits 192KHz, but the DAC configuration is limited to 24-bit 96KHz for best digital filter response (see the circuit descriptions in the schematic diagram section for details).

Any other way to get USB & Coax 192/24bit?:D

Generally speaking the SPDIF/Optical outs are very unclean with the way they handle signals and introduce jitter. Compared to these, the USB platform is way ahead.

I do not know how this works in respect to the specific DAC being discussed though.

Suri,

dont worry on extruded aluminum .. you will get it locally ,professionally engraved . you wish you can order from AMB
but i think huge amount you have to pay as compared to electronics... enclosure of many highend DACs made as wood and metal design. ..

reading the posts ....

Hi Kaushik,

I was wondering how much can a DAC improve SQ of a HDD souce like popcorn hour?? Do you think it is worth building a DAC for Popcorn hour?

Every where people are doing HDD player + Dac setups
For low cost HDD players sure output will improve drastically , because mainly companies try to add maximum the amount of feature video chipset and concentrate on firmware development .Next is the size factor so
toroidal supply with bulky filter etc they avoid.

Audio part surely will be inferior as compared to the job a dedicated DAC can do.

Popcorn hour is a premium player , the improvement will depend on DAC type.Y2 technically seems very good dac ..

Q: will y2 beat beresford 7520

Technically yes , and secondly Y2 is open sourced DAC ,circuit diagram is clear , meaning all over the world people
are improving it ...we will see many mods that will make it sound better and better .
Beresford DAC has masked IC numbers ,the basic unit has some problems ,
i have pdf by stanley with mods to be done. refer these comments too :
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/beresford-tc-7520-dac-427346/#post5793764

Last edited:
the improvement will depend on DAC type.Y2 technically seems very good dac ..

Can you suggest us which DAC kit would be good ? I am inclined towards chinese DAC kits from ebay store called Gigawork. Some people are praising them while others are abusing them when used with a CDP :lol: Can't really figure out what to do :sad:

Can you suggest us which DAC kit would be good ? I am inclined towards chinese DAC kits from ebay store called Gigawork. Some people are praising them while others are abusing them when used with a CDP :lol: Can't really figure out what to do :sad:

i dont consider myself mature enough for recommending DAC ,i have had very less exposure DACs ..
Beating CD player is my first target ,i will have some idea after my usb DAC demo completes

Last edited:
Update 05/11 1850hrs

Mouser BOM and Parts to be ordered from AMB are final

Ok im adding the parts needed together with their costs

Some parts will have to be sourced from AMB and others from RS, farnell ,Mouser or digikey
this will be updated as and when i go to the next step

This is for the GAMMA2 with GAMMA1 in full A configuration

All the parts from amb

qpjits.jpg

33oruhx.jpg

Mouser BOM 5/NOV/09 1831Hrs http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=0ec58db0e8

Project access no on EZbuy page ---- 0ec58db0e8

Cost (less customs duty)

Singapore (Free shipping to Singapore) S$139.51

India (Shipping to India) -- $89.31+$40(Shipping)+$40(Backorder Shipping) = $169.31.

US (Shipping to US) ----$89.31+estimated shipping $10 +Backorder Shipping $10 = $109.31

Notes:-

1) Some parts are back-ordered and will ship separately.
2 Mouser is the only place where the Wolfson WM8742 is available
3 Fiber optical transmitter is not avail at Mouser

Farnell India BOM is attached in csv View attachment farnell India Gamma2.zip
as well as printed mail format View attachment farnell india gamma2..pdf
Notes:
1) Farnell is India based, free shipping, checked today almost same price as singapore.
2) Some parts like the Wolfson WM8742/WM8741 not available there.
3) the toogle switch G1 for gamma 1 is not available here.
4) NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR LP2985AIM5-4.5/NOPB. farnell p# 1559738 is not available.

anyone who can recheck the whole thing with parts list from both gamma1 and gamma 2 websites will be of great help

Last edited:
Ok im adding the parts needed together with their costs

this will be updated as and when i go to the next step

This is for the GAMMA2 with GAMMA1 in full A configuration

Gamma1 parts from amb

a0x8cj.jpg

34glk6r.jpg

tall3tally
shall i place the order for this?
regards

@suri please hold as of now im building the list and will let you know when all the things are in place
the post is being updated regularly thats what is causing the discrepancy
:)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back