Tonewinner AT 300: 7.3.6 AV processor

I am a bit confused, have you got the AT 300 Pre Pro or the AVR by Tonewinner? 🤔

I don't think the AT 300 comes with a calibration mic, one has to purchase it separately or use something like UMIK. And it doesn't have Audyssey, which is used by Marantz and Denon.
It does have some calibration but don't know how it works. Good thing about AT300 was it has individual 11 band EQ.

Do share some pictures and how easy is the whole process of getting it hooked up and calibrated. Since there is almost no data on this online.
He bought only Tonewinner power amp not the processor.
Someone from the group buy can post the initial impressions of Tonewinner processor

I am a bit confused, have you got the AT 300 Pre Pro or the AVR by Tonewinner? 🤔

I don't think the AT 300 comes with a calibration mic, one has to purchase it separately or use something like UMIK. And it doesn't have Audyssey, which is used by Marantz and Denon.
It does have some calibration but don't know how it works. Good thing about AT300 was it has individual 11 band EQ.

Do share some pictures and how easy is the whole process of getting it hooked up and calibrated. Since there is almost no data on this online.
No Bro. I have Denon 4500, Parasound 5125 power amp and tonewinner 7 channel power amp.

So, no clue on how the Tonewinner AVR or pre pro works.

The Audessy i mentioned was in my Denon 4500. Just ref. my signature have the details of my rig.

I could setup the AT 300 only yesterday and could not get much chance to play around with settings except punching workable distance/delay, levels and crossovers.

I played some scenes and I feel a desperate need of managing bass to begin with and that will require another session of tuning MiniDSP.

I will take some time to do it and come back with confirmed impression about the sound quality against my AVR.

I could setup the AT 300 only yesterday and could not get much chance to play around with settings except punching workable distance/delay, levels and crossovers.

I played some scenes and I feel a desperate need of managing bass to begin with and that will require another session of tuning MiniDSP.

I will take some time to do it and come back with confirmed impression about the sound quality against my AVR.
Bravo atleast you have broken the silence :))

This TW AT300 has started to surprise me :)

It is no way less than Marantz 7012 in terms of producing the sound quality and playing various audio formats. Infact channel separation (specially directional sound effects in Atmos) is much more impressive. I am only doubtful about how it's handling overhead Atmos channels.

AVR was playing a lot of content through Top middle channels while this Unit seems to love Top front and rear. I am used to hearing a lot from top Middles.

Playing downloaded movies with Atmos and True HD ... this thing shines. Very immersive output, All channels seems to be playing at expected levels. I think with 7.2.6 setup, this may have an edge over how Atmos channels are being handled. It may produce a much effective top front/middle/rear content the way it has to be actually as per the scene and effect.

Some scenes have surprised me positively and some have left confused, for example
1. The opening scene from Mad Max Fury when you hear "hello, where are you" .. this should come from the top Atmos channels while I hear them from the mains.
2. The Atmos Helicopter demo, the blades whirring sound should come from Top Middles too but I only hear them from Top Fronts and Top Rear (when I configure my middles to rear)

I need to understand this difference of reproducing the Atmos effects better by more experimenting.
I am soon upgrading to 7.2.6 from existing 7.2.4 soon.

Other problems like occasional issues of HDMI handshake, pop sounds while power on and off etc are all there. With future upgrades, TW may fix them hopefully. The UI is really bad looking. Crossover can't be set below 80.

I will post more impressions
@amrutmhatre90 @Amarendra

This TW AT300 has started to surprise me :)

It is no way less than Marantz 7012 in terms of producing the sound quality and playing various audio formats. Infact channel separation (specially directional sound effects in Atmos) is much more impressive. I am only doubtful about how it's handling overhead Atmos channels.

AVR was playing a lot of content through Top middle channels while this Unit seems to love Top front and rear. I am used to hearing a lot from top Middles.

Playing downloaded movies with Atmos and True HD ... this thing shines. Very immersive output, All channels seems to be playing at expected levels. I think with 7.2.6 setup, this may have an edge over how Atmos channels are being handled. It may produce a much effective top front/middle/rear content the way it has to be actually as per the scene and effect.

Some scenes have surprised me positively and some have left confused, for example
1. The opening scene from Mad Max Fury when you hear "hello, where are you" .. this should come from the top Atmos channels while I hear them from the mains.
2. The Atmos Helicopter demo, the blades whirring sound should come from Top Middles too but I only hear them from Top Fronts and Top Rear (when I configure my middles to rear)

I need to understand this difference of reproducing the Atmos effects better by more experimenting.
I am soon upgrading to 7.2.6 from existing 7.2.4 soon.

Other problems like occasional issues of HDMI handshake, pop sounds while power on and off etc are all there. With future upgrades, TW may fix them hopefully. The UI is really bad looking. Crossover can't be set below 80.

I will post more impressions
@amrutmhatre90 @Amarendra
Thanks Ankit could you tame the bass ? Do you feel any clarity with music (stereo) and handling of dialogues (center) ?

Thanks Ankit could you tame the bass ? Do you feel any clarity with music (stereo) and handling of dialogues (center) ?
Yes I could make it a little better after tweaking around PEQ in MiniDSP however either the bass is tight or boomy. With AVR I could achieve a tighter bass with some scenes actually making you feel the thump in body. So far I am not being able to restore it. Without an external DSP, I am sure it will be a lot of struggle. In terms of dialogues, I think I find no improvement

Hi

Any more updates from the buyers on Tonewinner's performance?! It will be helpful for others as well

Happy to report that,
I tested some amazing Atmos scenes (curated from Movies) and specially the Dolby Atmos demo like "helicopter" and "Thunderstorm"
Atmos effect was amazing! simply amazing! Played these files offline via Plex on Nvidia Shield Pro

Atmos channels were engaged logically, played sufficiently loud to make impact and TW recognise the Dolby input without fail.

I still need to test Dolby Upmix properly but the dolby content out of box, I am happy the way TW is handling it.

Hi @ankitbhargava

Just the thought to ask you this question striked and here I am 😅 How did you tackle the Subwoofer issue you faced with Tonewinner?! Were you able to get it sound as it should, like how they did with your AVR?!

And how good is AT-300 compared to your SR-7xxx?! Also how will you define its sound signature compared to the warmth of Marantz?!

Last question would be, have you checker on how good is the stereo performance with AT-300?!

Hi @ankitbhargava

Just the thought to ask you this question striked and here I am 😅 How did you tackle the Subwoofer issue you faced with Tonewinner?! Were you able to get it sound as it should, like how they did with your AVR?!

And how good is AT-300 compared to your SR-7xxx?! Also how will you define its sound signature compared to the warmth of Marantz?!

Last question would be, have you checker on how good is the stereo performance with AT-300?!
Hi, I couldn't get much chance to improvise on the Subwoofer performance but overall after some playing around with the MiniDSP I still could not get it as effective as it was while using the AVR (Marantz 7012). Its probably not hitting right SPL and running the sub gain hotter loses the bass tightness.

Overall I am happy with the Tonewinner as the basic job of decoding most of sound formats and playing the Atmos/DTSx for an immersive sound is achieved. The Picture Quality has no complaints. Issues like HDMI switching time and lack of proper room correction software has to be dealt with. With basic delay/gain/speaker config settings its doing a good job. I am keen to test it against a more renowned Pre Pro but it asks for a big investment and I won't be sure of the value it would bring in to further improvise the quality.

My PB 1000's amp module got problem and I have sent it for repair, ones its back I will certainly find some time to try an fix the bass

Sorry I never used earlier system and this system to play the stereo :)

Hi, I couldn't get much chance to improvise on the Subwoofer performance but overall after some playing around with the MiniDSP I still could not get it as effective as it was while using the AVR (Marantz 7012). Its probably not hitting right SPL and running the sub gain hotter loses the bass tightness.

Overall I am happy with the Tonewinner as the basic job of decoding most of sound formats and playing the Atmos/DTSx for an immersive sound is achieved. The Picture Quality has no complaints. Issues like HDMI switching time and lack of proper room correction software has to be dealt with. With basic delay/gain/speaker config settings its doing a good job. I am keen to test it against a more renowned Pre Pro but it asks for a big investment and I won't be sure of the value it would bring in to further improvise the quality.

My PB 1000's amp module got problem and I have sent it for repair, ones its back I will certainly find some time to try an fix the bass

Sorry I never used earlier system and this system to play the stereo :)
Thanks a lot @ankitbhargava for the quick and detailed response <3 This gives a good idea of Tonewinner's performance.

Let us know how it goes with Bass tweaking. I found a reseller in Chennai with a demo setup, yet to book a appointment though. Will try to audition as early as possible to see how this goes. I love how Marantz sound and sing, that's why curious, since you had both. Once again, thanks a lot for the response :D

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back