Topping DAC's on HPZ

Got my Topping E50.
Connected my Denon DN-C615 CD player via coaxial to it to use the Denon as a transport.

DAC is connected to my valve preamp—> solid state power amp.
Played few audio CDs.

There is zero improvement over CDP sound. And this is quite an old CD player.

Last edited:
Got my Topping E50.
Connected my Denon DN-C615 CD player via coaxial to it to use the Denon as a transport.

DAC is connected to my valve preamp—> solid state power amp.
Played few audio CDs.

There is zero improvement.
What's the difference like in the sonic signature?

What's the difference like in the sonic signature?
I expected the CDP transport + DAC combination to make a substantial improvement over my stock CD Player sound. This didn’t happen.Both combinations sound same to me.

Of course , I can always use a linear power supply unit to power the DAC but I doubt the benefit would justify the additional cost.

I’m expecting delivery of an expensive Profigold coaxial cable but that also I doubt would make any difference.

Perhaps this proves that these older Denon broadcast-use CD players were too good anyway.

Last edited:
I expected the CDP transport + DAC combination to make a substantial improvement over my stock CD Player sound. This didn’t happen.Both combinations sound same to me.

Of course , I can always use a linear power supply unit to power the DAC but I doubt the benefit would justify the additional cost.

I’m expecting delivery of an expensive Profigold coaxial cable but that also I doubt would make any difference.

Perhaps this proves that these older Denon broadcast-use CD players were too good anyway.
If you have an old component video cable at home (Y-Cb-Cr types) try that too.
Excellent for digital audio coax.
Cheers,
Raghu

Is it ? I’ve some lying around. I need the yellow coloured one ?
Not the usual yellow colored one that come with set top boxes.
The ones I suggested were the mainstay for high speed video before HDMI.
These are shielded coax to carry video so they will work for digital audio or analog audio.
Cheers,
Raghu

Not the usual yellow colored one that come with set top boxes.
The ones I suggested were the mainstay for high speed video before HDMI.
These are shielded coax to carry video so they will work for digital audio or analog audio.
Cheers,
Raghu
Yes I know what you mean. Thanks

Just to clarify :I’m not dissing the DAC. Not by any means. I still haven’t used it’s USB inputs with either my laptop or iPad to play high resolution (although I must say I’m not a believer in high resolution being superior to redbook CDs ).

Anyway - the DAC sounds nice , airy highs ,micro detailing is good , vocals are forward , midrange is lush (that’s probably because of my tube pre) and bass is controlled yet deep. It’s there when required and not when it’s not in the music - always a sign of good bass imo.

But , thing is , all these were already there with the CD player itself. If there were any significant differences , I trust my ears enough to not miss that.

Last edited:
Just curious:
Did it feel overwhelming when the volume went up?
I felt this, so I ask.
Cheers,
Raghu

Nopes , it didn’t. In fact the liveliness increased with volume increase.It didn’t sound ear fatiguing. But then , my pre and power amp are warm sounding by design (the BEL tubes in my pre contribute to it ) , so the clinical top end of E50 many have alluded to on the thread and other reviews are nicely compensated in my system.

But yes , I agree , in a less warm sounding amplification chain , the E50 might very well sound bit shrill on higher dB, which was your observation I believe.

Nopes , it didn’t. In fact the liveliness increased with volume increase.It didn’t sound ear fatiguing. But then , my pre and power amp are warm sounding by design (the BEL tubes in my pre contribute to it ) , so the clinical top end of E50 many have alluded to on the thread and other reviews are nicely compensated in my system.

But yes , I agree , in a less warm sounding amplification chain , the E50 might very well sound bit shrill on higher dB, which was your observation I believe.
Are you using the preamp section of the E50? Dynamics will be a bit compressed if you use its preamp section. Ideally, it should be kept at 0.00 DB unless you don't have a preamp in your chain to modulate the volume.

Are you using the preamp section of the E50? Dynamics will be a bit compressed if you use its preamp section. Ideally, it should be kept at 0.00 DB unless you don't have a preamp in your chain to modulate the volume.
No I’m using it in pure DAC mode.

Folks , i am a noob here, Any advice/ feedback on FiiO BTA30 PRO Bluetooth Transceiver ? usecase is to connect tv and my new 125asx2 d class amp. BT helps in wireless playing too... does this work as pre amp dac or just dac?

This device got ESS 9038Q2M chip and Qualcom CSR 8675... both are good ones based on the reviews.

But not before you do a side by side comparo! you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well the Chord Mojo stacks up to much newer competition! I'm yet to find a competitor in the sub 20K market that sounds better to my ears. And it wouldn't be far fetched to throw some newer and pricier components into such a comparo.

However, one big disadvantage is usability/convenience with respect to the Mojo. The newer DACs with remote controls and displays are much more convenient unless portability is a concern. Which is why i got the E30 despite having the Mojo. Its simply inconvenient for the intended purpose i.e. connection to my TV
Hi, I think e50 is a newer gen than e30. I felt mojo despite good on paper, lacks somehow the bass impact. It’s too bass light for me. I felt, very tiny difference or no difference between odac, jds labs, Schiit dacs before and when I moved to mojo, since it’s not exactly a dac I felt the soundstage reduced in width but objects got bit more body. But that top end air is gone. I am ok, with either sound so, I won’t “miss” mojo if I sell it. Moreover it’s a PITA to use. Mine is connected directly to a t+a power amp and since m getting a pre soon a regular dac would be much better for me. Also, I don’t have any difficult travelling headphones now. To my ears, with my easy headphones on level match an iPhone lightning dongle sounds way too similar to the mojo.

I’m currently using my iPad to connect to E50 via USB and getting high res (24/192) maximum streaming from Apple Music. Sounds nice. Nothing better than redbook CDs but with the trade off in cost of buying CDs - good enough for me for casual listening.

Last edited:
DB, i've heard this same comment about the preamp mode lacking dynamics on both the e50 & e30 in a few forums though asr dismisses this completely. What could be contributing to this perceived phenomenon?

DB, i've heard this same comment about the preamp mode lacking dynamics on both the e50 & e30 in a few forums though asr dismisses this completely. What could be contributing to this perceived phenomenon?
Fletcher Munson curve probably

Fletcher Munson curve probably
Ah yes. But based on my limited understanding of this phenomenon (which I think applies more to low SPLs) people should have the same experience even going dac only to a preamp or integrated at low volumes? Maybe I need to re-read Flethcer Munson more carefully :)

Ah yes. But based on my limited understanding of this phenomenon (which I think applies more to low SPLs) people should have the same experience even going dac only to a preamp or integrated at low volumes? Maybe I need to re-read Flethcer Munson more carefully :)
If i had a penny (or paisa) for every time an FM asked me about compressed dynamics from their DAC/integrated/Pre/Power what have you, I'd be able to give up my day job.

Some general observations - I have come across a few posts on this forum where FMs have experienced this phenomenon on the E30/E50.

I listen to compressed popular music so the difference in dynamics would be lost on me.

But there seems to be some truth to the phenomenon - the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, which is an ASR darling, resets its reference level at 7db intervals whenever one decreases the volume so that dynamics don't get compressed. Whether this phenomenon plagues the E30/E50 is something i cannot testify about.

However, when i reduce the volume on the RME ADI-2 FS also, whether the steps in reference levels preserve the dynamics or not, i don't find myself immune to the effects of the Fletcher Munson curve.

This is where variable loudness on the RME comes in (which can be switched on/off, boost levels modified, crossover for the bass and treble frequencies can also be set precisely etc. - its maddening). It progressively boosts the bass and treble as the volume goes down so that the transition is smooth and undetectable to the ear. I have found this particular function to preserve dynamics far more effectively than the reference steps which make no difference to my ear (it may seem paradoxical but the reason i don't see a difference without loudness engaged is because I feel a difference in dynamics as the volume goes down).

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back