Topping DAC's on HPZ

Do this Topping E30, Schiit Modi 3 or ifi zen dac etc sounds better then avr . Is it worth to invest in these dac for better stereo performance then avr in built dac......
Not sure what AVR does. But for music listening I prefer PM5005 Amp + Wharfedale 220 Spk than AVR Denon X1400H + Polk Signature Spk. I believe adding a good AVR will enhance it more. At least in my limited knowledge/experience I won't consider AVR for serious music listening.

Got the E30 delivered today. Hooked them up with stock USB to my PC, powered with a Samsung phone charger, Bluerigger RCA cables going to pair of Mackie MR624.

P.S: I was using either PC mother board DAC or Hidizs dongle DAC with the powered monitors.

Initial impressions (30 mins of listening):
Vocals sound clearer and deep voices have the heft which was earlier lacking.
Instrument separation is more evident.
No difference in how solo instruments are rendered.

Happy with the size and finish.

Overall, very good first impression. Will try out different modes/filters in the coming dates and update here. You will be very happy with the stock accessories and settings :)

Note:
You'd need 2 x AAA batteries for the remote which is not included in the box.
Use a decent quality phone charger with the USB to power cable provided. If you can get a LPS or something from ifi, even better.

View attachment 48684 View attachment 48685 View attachment 48686 View attachment 48687 View attachment 48688
Did you try a different charger or a power bank? I had positive experience with smsl dacs with power banks. But I think the e30 already is audibly clean as the state of the art dacs.

+1 got my E30 delivery today :) connected it with my chain of equipment, please find my Initial impressions below.

SQ:-
  • High are more refined
  • Considerable details in mids
  • Low is more punchy than normal
Build / usability :-
  • Solid build with good finish
  • Display is clear & comes with 3 levels with dimmer option
  • Easy to use remote with all the function

Cons:-
  • Filters - The one feature which i was looking forward for is kind of disappointing, frankly speaking out of 6 filters, i could really identity only 1-2 filters which are slightly distinctive, remaining 4 filters are just numbers on it :( If someone feels it differently please let me know would like to play those tracks on Spotify & test it.

Preamp:-

Compared to my AmazonBasic DAC, Overall i would say considerable improvement in SQ - but not to the extend which will "Wow" you if your very serious/picky listener.

Cheers,
:cool:
To make you wow I think we need some colored dacs or imperfect dacs ;)

Topping DACs are flying off the shelves of HPZ. I know of 6 units that have been bought. E30 and D50s. It would be an interesting Sabre vs AKM implementation comparison, by the same manufacturer. Hopefully soon.

MaSh

Enjoy the audio! Thanks for sharing. Please share you experience with various filters if you can distinguish them or not
Will try them over the weekend. I believe the studio monitors I have are resolving enough to differentiate between most of the filters.

+1 got my E30 delivery today :) connected it with my chain of equipment, please find my Initial impressions below.

SQ:-
  • High are more refined
  • Considerable details in mids
  • Low is more punchy than normal
Build / usability :-
  • Solid build with good finish
  • Display is clear & comes with 3 levels with dimmer option
  • Easy to use remote with all the function

Cons:-
  • Filters - The one feature which i was looking forward for is kind of disappointing, frankly speaking out of 6 filters, i could really identity only 1-2 filters which are slightly distinctive, remaining 4 filters are just numbers on it :( If someone feels it differently please let me know would like to play those tracks on Spotify & test it.

Preamp:-

Compared to my AmazonBasic DAC, Overall i would say considerable improvement in SQ - but not to the extend which will "Wow" you if your very serious/picky listener.

Cheers,
:cool:
For the price paid, the value addition is well worth it.

For the price paid, the value addition is well worth it.
Agreed, but yeah "Dil maange more" :p Will have to play with it for some days to get most out of it i guess. Time to subscribe Spotify premium & Tidal too i guess.

Topping E30 has one design flaw, it had Reverse polarity issue on all its inputs. Topping acknowledged it and provided a fix via update but that can fix only USB input polarity issue. Optical & Coaxial inputs are still in reverse polarity. You can easily overcome this by reversing the Black & Red speaker wires. If you are using Active Speaker..Don't worry, reverse polarity will not have a negative impact on the sound quality. Many reviewers doesn't even detect the difference.

Topping E30 has one design flaw, it had Reverse polarity issue on all its inputs. Topping acknowledged it and provided a fix via update but that can fix only USB input polarity issue. Optical & Coaxial inputs are still in reverse polarity. You can easily overcome this by reversing the Black & Red speaker wires. If you are using Active Speaker..Don't worry, reverse polarity will not have a negative impact on the sound quality. Many reviewers doesn't even detect the difference.
Thanks for bringing this up. I went ahead and downloaded the v4.86 driver despite having active studio monitors. Maybe folks with passive speakers can pitch in on the difference.

From what I've read on the internet it seems the polarity issue for the E30 has been fixed with serial numbers from 2004 onwards.

You can easily overcome this by reversing the Black & Red speaker wires.
If the fix is not applied, this reversing will be applied to all inputs. If the fix is applied, then reversing wire won't work for all inputs, right? Because USB will get it right, where as Coax/Optic not. ok... how far it is a serious issue for a listener?

If the fix is not applied, this reversing will be applied to all inputs. If the fix is applied, then reversing wire won't work for all inputs, right? Because USB will get it right, where as Coax/Optic not. ok... how far it is a serious issue for a listener?

Yes. You are right. As @qwertypa pointed out, I also read that polarity issue is fixed on serial numbers starting from 2004. Can any E30 users let us know the serial number range of E30..?

Interesting information this..

Depending on serial numbers would they recall the product to rectify it ?
Unlikely. It’s mass produced in China. Logistics cost of a recall would be disproportionate to the value of the product

I don't have this DAC, but here are suggestions that might work.
If the reversal is at all inputs (digital side of the circuit), then flipping the RCA-out will work.
If the fix is applied for USB alone, then it may cause inconsistencies.

Regarding seriousness, you want the correct L/R presentation in music.
Many songs don't sound right when L/R is flipped.

Cheers,
Raghu

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back