Topping DAC's on HPZ

Regarding seriousness, you want the correct L/R presentation in music.
@raghupb can you explain a little on meaning of L/R presentation? with my very limited knowledge, the spk driver forward/reverse will be interchanged which may impact low frequency in significant way? Am I right? How about mid/high frequency?

Yes. You are right. As @qwertypa pointed out, I also read that polarity issue is fixed on serial numbers starting from 2004. Can any E30 users let us know the serial number range of E30..?
Post 2004 will have hardware fix, no need to apply any patch?

@raghupb can you explain a little on meaning of L/R presentation? with my very limited knowledge, the spk driver forward/reverse will be interchanged which may impact low frequency in significant way? Am I right? How about mid/high frequency?
I stand corrected. Was reading on ASR and a fellow FM also said that it is not L/R channel flip.
Apparently something else is going on here. My reply was about to channel reversal.
Sorry to add to the confusion. Please ignore my comments.

Cheers,
Raghu

there is no problem in having it reversed here as it’s the same polarity for left and right channels. We only have a issue if one channel has polarity not same as the other.

I stand corrected. Was reading on ASR and a fellow FM also said that it is not L/R channel flip.
Apparently something else is going on here. My reply was about to channel reversal.
Sorry to add to the confusion. Please ignore my comments.

Cheers,
Raghu
cool... still can you throw some light on my question on polarity reversal? Any flaw in my understanding?
with my very limited knowledge, the spk driver forward/reverse will be interchanged which may impact low frequency in significant way? Am I right? How about mid/high frequency?

All those who have got their E30s delivered are requested to share their experience with the E 30?
I wonder how better it's than Modi3
Any one here who has used both can throw some light on it.

All those who have got their E30s delivered are requested to share their experience with the E 30?
I wonder how better it's than Modi3
Any one here who has used both can throw some light on it.
If they say they hear a difference something must be wrong with the idea of audio measurements or placebo is underrated.

Got mine today. Tried USB playback using Poweramp on my phone but the output on the E30 never budged from 192 PCM even though I was playing DSD256 files. If I can't get DSD playback from my phone to E30, it's a waste for me. Will try more and report back here.
Update- Due to the software resampler in PowerAmp, it's output is limited thus no native DSD support. For DSD playback over USB, will have to download USB Player Pro, which costs INR350 on Plays Store.
Anybody knows any cheaper alternative app, let it be known.

Last edited:
So in "spirit of experimenting" (read playing stupid games), I connected E30 to PC, put it in "Pre" mode, used RCA to 3.5mm adapter and plonked in cheapest pair of IEMs that I had. Audio level was set to -99dB and slowly turned up while music was playing. Around -30dB I started listening 'sound'.
At around -15dB it became quality 'music' and at 0dB, it became too loud.
Result- With IEMs, it can work in Pre mode, no headphone amplifier needed. Do not try it in DAC mode as you cannot control volume, neither from PC (Foobar2000 didn't do jack when tried attenuating audio from it's GUI), nor on the device. That being said, I don't know what could be long term implications of aforementioned use case. In short, it can be used so, but should you,..... I say go Wild ! Consumption lead Economic growth is need of the hour ;) :cool:

Got mine today. Tried USB playback using Poweramp on my phone but the output on the E30 never budged from 192 PCM even though I was playing DSD256 files. If I can't get DSD playback from my phone to E30, it's a waste for me. Will try more and report back here.
Update- Due to the software resampler in PowerAmp, it's output is limited thus no native DSD support. For DSD playback over USB, will have to download USB Player Pro, which costs INR350 on Plays Store.

Did you google for an app that can play DSD on mobile? A simple search resulted in 2 players.

I tried fiio player from fiio and below are fhe screen shots. Played through ibasso dc01 dac. Now I do not have any means to know what is actually coming out. Although the app description says it is a native dsd player.

Another option is Hiby Music player.

PS: both Android apps.

MaSh

Screenshot_20200820-202512.jpgScreenshot_20200820-202519.jpg

It’s a lifetime buy, and imo 350 is worth it for the bit perfect it offers. Hi by music and onkyo music are good alternatives but somehow I felt usapp slightly better always. Consider it as part of your dac purchase budget.

Did you google for an app that can play DSD on mobile? A simple search resulted in 2 players.

I tried fiio player from fiio and below are fhe screen shots. Played through ibasso dc01 dac. Now I do not have any means to know what is actually coming out. Although the app description says it is a native dsd player.

Another option is Hiby Music player.

PS: both Android apps.

MaSh

View attachment 48755View attachment 48756
Will try them, When I googled "native dsd palyer for android", neither showed up.
It’s a lifetime buy, and imo 350 is worth it for the bit perfect it offers. Hi by music and onkyo music are good alternatives but somehow I felt usapp slightly better always. Consider it as part of your dac purchase budget.
If nothing else works, will do so.

I got the d50s after reading the asr review. It's clean and has details so for someone starting out it will sound hifi but in reality it sounds bright and thin and lifeless. tires your ears easily instead of allowing music to be fun. And the filters are just a gimmick. My dacs coaxial input stopped working and i returned it to Amazon USA. I had even got the lps with it which added like 5 percent weight.

I got the d50s after reading the asr review. It's clean and has details so for someone starting out it will sound hifi but in reality it sounds bright and thin and lifeless. tires your ears easily instead of allowing music to be fun.
I had one and had a similar experience and ended up selling it after 3 months. Measurements alone don't tell the whole story.
Cheers,
Sid

I got the d50s after reading the asr review. It's clean and has details so for someone starting out it will sound hifi but in reality it sounds bright and thin and lifeless. tires your ears easily instead of allowing music to be fun. And the filters are just a gimmick. My dacs coaxial input stopped working and i returned it to Amazon USA. I had even got the lps with it which added like 5 percent weight.
Would this be the infamous "Sabre Glare" that ESS chipsets get blamed for?
Cheers,
Raghu

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back