Topping TP20 tripath 2020 amplifier (versus NAD C320BEE)

Any way to avoid the extremely mild power shock that one feels when you touch your Topping's front frame (only when you touch it with your forearms, your hand's skin is thicker and you will not feel a thing). It comes with a 2 pin plug so am not sure how to apply earthing connector to this.

Hi, u can use a 3 pin power chord to avoid the mild shock. Ofcourse you need to use a earthed plug point as well. Mild current on the body is not a good thing. It can eventually distroy some delicate components.

I cut the original plug pin and replaced with a after market one. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Lenovo S880 using Tapatalk 2

But just changing the pins would not help right? The earthing wire through the pin has to connect to something in the device (Sorry but I am just a layman)

Yes, the adapter that comes with topping amp is a 3 way one and the earth pin is connected to the body as u mentioned.
The power chord also comes with a 3 way input but surprisingly the plug pin has only 2 pins and the earth pin is a dummy. So you need to change the plug pin alone. However this was my experience in my 3 purchases. Hope this helps

Connected my Topping amp to Wharf 9.6 and listened to Sting and Katie Melua. Found great soundstage and absolutely adequate bass. Thought this combo sounded much better than Norge + wharf 9.6. But can I continue with the setup? Will it damage the speakers/ Topping?

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk HD

No, it shan't damage the 9.6 provided you have come to judge as to when the speakers are at the 'clipping' stage. I too tried out the Topping with my TL FS recently, and it was easily able to manage 2' O clock with an excellent SQ output.

the speaker load which is demanded of the amplifier it tough to "judge".

The load demand will increase with complicated passages when all drivers muct come into play.

A "misjudgement" can prove costly.. the topping is 4k while the speakers are 30k i think..

Fact is the topping is a good amp sure but not powerful enough to cater to floorstanders though you may observe good sound.

Here we are talking about reliability across a load spectrum and for that i am not oo sure the topping will be able to provide the current demanded.

its good if you are liking it but personally i would be a bit wary.

Sensitivity is not the same as load demand ( impedance )

am i scaremongering - nope.. just pointing out stuff that occured to me..rest is upto you YMMV.

rgds
mpw

Hi I have been using topping for an year now to drive magnats. Sometimes the combo keeps running for an entire day at various volumes. Never had an issue at all.
Oflate using a 2.5 watt pc tubeamp amp to drive them, with very good results. Just keep an eye on the signal gain and keep the vol tab below 3o clock position and it should be good.

Hi I have been using topping for an year now to drive magnats. Sometimes the combo keeps running for an entire day at various volumes. Never had an issue at all.
Oflate using a 2.5 watt pc tubeamp amp to drive them, with very good results. Just keep an eye on the signal gain and keep the vol tab below 3o clock position and it should be good.

Thought there shouldn't be a problem since I found music to be LOUD beyond 11 o'clock but the quality much better than with Norge.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk HD

I got my Topping TP20 from US a couple of weeks ago and was able to audition it today finally.
Paired it with the CA S30 but was not impressed. Tried with MA BR1 and it was awesome :eek:hyeah:.
Also checked with the MA BX1 but did not notice any substantial improvement in SQ for the price difference or size. Due to the settings of the shelf where I plan to put the speakers, I cannot not go with rear ported speakers or those that are too big; the dimensions of the BR1 was ok, but it was rear ported.
Will check some options from Polk Audio tomorrow, they seem to have high sensitivity speakers that hopefully will pair well with the TP20.

I also wanted to check out JBL control 1, but the seem to be no longer in the Forum mall.

Hi can you give details of your audition with ca s30s. Which aspect you find the monitors superior. I am asking this as I am planning to upgrade and I have the s30. If the monitors are far better then they are worth considering. Pls do revert, thanks
I got my Topping TP20 from US a couple of weeks ago and was able to audition it today finally.
Paired it with the CA S30 but was not impressed. Tried with MA BR1 and it was awesome :eek:hyeah:.
Also checked with the MA BX1 but did not notice any substantial improvement in SQ for the price difference or size. Due to the settings of the shelf where I plan to put the speakers, I cannot not go with rear ported speakers or those that are too big; the dimensions of the BR1 was ok, but it was rear ported.
Will check some options from Polk Audio tomorrow, they seem to have high sensitivity speakers that hopefully will pair well with the TP20.

I also wanted to check out JBL control 1, but the seem to be no longer in the Forum mall.

I am not able to describe the SQ in audiophile terminology, but with the CA it just sounded like good Sony or Samsung speakers. Not bad at all, but not impressive; I did not feel the music was detailed. Since it was the first audition I had with the Topping, I was initially thinking that I made a mistake buying them.

Switching over to BR1, it seemed that life came into the music. I would suggest that you audition it to see if it is worth the upgrade, but this is was the opinion that both I and my friend had.

Thanks Jackshack for clarifying, however i feel that CA S30s usually fare lot better than sony etc, they are quite highly rated in the hifi world as one of the best entry level speakers. If you have just bought them then let them break in for some time, keep the speakers running for a 2/3 days, you can connect them to a radio / tv etc. I am sure you will notice a significant improvement in the sound quality after the initial use.

Even then if you still do not like them, no hassle. i am sure you can find a few buyers within this forum, those speakers are hard to find and you will get back your money. How much did they cost you and where did you buy btw.

Thanks Jackshack for clarifying, however i feel that CA S30s usually fare lot better than sony etc, they are quite highly rated in the hifi world as one of the best entry level speakers. If you have just bought them then let them break in for some time, keep the speakers running for a 2/3 days, you can connect them to a radio / tv etc. I am sure you will notice a significant improvement in the sound quality after the initial use.

Even then if you still do not like them, no hassle. i am sure you can find a few buyers within this forum, those speakers are hard to find and you will get back your money. How much did they cost you and where did you buy btw.

I have not brought them yet; I just heard them at an audition. Did not ask for the exact price, but the dealer said it was about 10K.

This thread has become too long.. its very difficult to go through full thread and make some conclusion.
can someone summarize (list down) suitable speakers for tripath TP20 amplifier.

My TP20 is on its way. Yay!!! But I have no idea if it needs a step down converter or not. Well, does it ?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back