Turntable from USA

santnai

I am planning to buy Project debut III from USA which has a Power supply type Mains-fed outboard power supply100 - 110V, 60 cycles. I am worried whether this will work in India?

Is it a feasable solution If I go for a good step down converter. I am not very sure on it.

Regards,

Santosh

Indian supply is 50Hz while in the US it is 60. This may impact RPM of the motor. Ask the seller specifically if this would work fine on 50Hz.

We use 220v/50Hz power supply. USA has 120v/60Hz. IMO Frequency controls the speed accuracy of the TT. Converter which changes frequency to your requirement will be costly.
Regards

hehehe I see mahirua, anm and I posted same thing within 1 sec. difference. Santnai Don't you love Hifivision :D
I checked the manual on line Project Debut people supply power supply suitable for individual countries. Hope this helps.

from personal experience, i can tell you that all you have to do is pick up a 220volt-110volt converter (about Rs.200) from any chinese toy store or electrical store and plug it in. The frequency of US alternating current (AC) is 60 Hertz while in India it is 50 Hertz. The fact is that given the poor state of the transmission and distribution of electricity in India the frequency is never an accurate 50 Hertz but tends to vary between 40 and 60 Hertz. From experience, there is no difference to the normal human ear, when you would listen to your turntable. However, pundits would say that the US 110volt equipment with motors (like turntables, cassette decks, cd players) tend to run a bit slow in India with the step down converter. However, again, atleast in Kerala where I stay, I've not noticed any speed difference. All these tests were done on Teac P988 and Technics SLBD20B turntables, brought from the US. Hope this helps.

This is not an answer to turntables but an experience with another piece of equipment. A friend of mine got a Marantz DV4001 CD player from the US, and we used a step-down transformer to power it. The player plays and sounds fine. Just like the turntable, there are motors, feedback loops (servo for the CD lens) in a CD player, so the same frequency issues should plague it. I have not seen that happen with this player so far. But the point raised is 'electrically' valid.

CD drive motors are usually brushless DC (BLDC) motors controlled by
dedicated motor driver ICs. So they are unlikely to be affected by
AC line frequency (assuming a good SMPS/PSU).

Spindle Motor, Constant Linear Velocity (CLV) and Constant Angular Velocity (CAV)
Brushless DC motor | Aquaticus ROV

While some turntables use DC motors (Dual CS450) or an
electronically controlled DC motor (SL1200 etc), unfortunately, there
are many turntables (Rega, Thorens etc) which use synchronous AC motors which are dependent on line frequency.

To use such a turntable with a 60Hz AC Sync motor in India, you may
have to change the pulley, or replace with a proper 50 Hz motor, or use
an external power supply like the Speed Box.

The Sound of the Wood

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back