TV for 80K Max

Well you know personally I consider getting great picture for the price you pay to be value for money, rather than getting useless features. But again, everybody may have a different opinion. :)

50 inch Plasmas would be great too.

...Plasma PQ is amazing but i'm also worried about the Image Burn-in issue and how it would behave in bright light. Otherwise was looking at Panny, any Panny users to comment on this and also suggest models i should check for that price.

I'm also getting tempted by 50inch Plasmas which i saw today at the showrooms

P.S. I have replied to the points mentioned before this oddly they don't seem to appear

Never mind what others say about image retention and reflections. I was plagued by the same issues.

First on Image Retention (IR): When I was checking on plasmas, the guy with whom I dealt finally showed me a 42ST50D which was hung on the wall. He ran the white scroll bar and asked me to find the image retention. We all know that in showrooms, TVs are set at Dynamic/Vivid setting that has 100% contrast, vivid colours and high brightness. They do not take care of the first 100/200 hours. Yet, the scroll bar showed no IR. I checked for nearly 15 minutes going as close as 1'. Now it was quite possible that the set on display was very fresh. But I reckoned that it must have completed at least 100 hours. That fact convinced me. You can run a similar test in the showroom and check for yourself.

Now that I have the TV running for nearly three months and having completed over 600 hours, I run the scroll bar for five minutes everyday to check whether there is IR and to get rid of it just in case it is too faint to notice. At least I can't notice any. In one another poll thread, I have sent an open invitation to everyone to come and visit my home and check IR.

This does not mean that my case can be generalized and therefore applies to everyone. There are people who have faced IR issues.

But once again check the thread: Plasma owners: Are you facing the dreaded IR/Burn-In issue?. Those who said that there are IR issues, have mostly said that IR disappears soon enough. This is because IR is temporary. General public confuse between IR and Burn-in (BI) and think that they mean the same. Those who know about the difference do not bother to correct the perception with others. A few in minority (plasma haters) deliberately mislead. The truth is IR is temporary BI is permanent. Here are some articles on the same:

The Truth About Plasma Screen Burn-In
Is plasma HDTV burn-in a problem?

Search the web and there will be enough articles that state that IR is something to be careful but not get worried about silly.

Now, plasma panel is not alone when it comes to IR/BI. LCD panels can also suffer the same fate:
White paper - InfoComm
Image Sticking in LCD and LED HDTVs

But in general LCD panel is much less susceptible to IR/BI.

There are ways to prevent IR and many articles/posts have been written so I will not repeat them here.

Second on Plasma panel and reflective surface: I was also in the same dilemma. At this point, I had more or less decided on plasma but I was not sure how the plasma panel would behave at home. With no certainty, I still went ahead and took the plunge. For the first few days, the TV was in my living room where there is a 12'x4' window at 90 to the TV. But covering the window with the drapes presented no issue at all. Then there were two incandescent lamps (with decorative shades) - one directly on top of TV and one directly opposite. Surprisingly the lamp on top of TV was more disturbing than the one in front. Putting on one lamp (in front) presented no issues. The TV was later shifted to bedroom after glass shelf (for STB, BDP, router) was installed. In the bedroom there were two windows. Covering them with drapes solved the issue.

The reflections issue in my opinion is a little overstated. It is not as if the LCD panel is completely non-reflective. I checked and found that they too reflect. But much less in comparison to plasma because plasma surface is glass. But all said and done, the maximum use of the TV will be during prime time evening - say 7 PM to 10:30 pm. So what is the big deal of brightly lit room?

Read my thread ST50 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Tweaks, etc. from start to finish and you will understand the issues/non-issues first hand.

---------------

You will get Samsung 51E550 for 73K while Panasonic 50UT50 will be around 75K. Both are excellent TVs that match your budget, excellent quality and bang for the buck. No LED in that price range will match the picture quality of the above two. The panels have deep blacks as associated with any plasma and natural colours. If you wish to enjoy 3D then this is the minimum size to be purchased. And then consider the size - 51" or 50". The best at that price range is 40HX750 - a whole 10" smaller. That alone should be a clinching factor. I cannot sincerely believe that there is more value for money (VFM) than these two sets.

And if you want stunning picture, at say 20k more, then there is the 50ST50 which in my personal opinion is probably the best TV in that price range, a notch or couple of degrees better than HX850. I am saying this on the basis of my own test - others may disagree. You do your own tests and compare.

As a parting note, I will post the following video for you. I would not ever try these on an LCD panel unless protected by Gorilla glass and this feature will be available only on the very expensive top-end LEDs.

Durability Test on 2012 LG Plasma TVs with Protective Skin Glasses - YouTube

:) now Panny looks a lot more tempting. I will be using the TV primarily for watching movies, soaps, sports and occasionally gaming. The thing that worries is the Power bill now. ok so the buying date is coming near so my list seems to be Sammy 40ES6800 or ES6200 or LG 6690 or 6410 or Panny UT50inch (the new one 50 series of course). My previous TV a CRT (Onida) is 10+ years and still does its duty well so my next TV i'm looking at 5 yrs before a change so this is going to be major buy :). If you were to compare at the showroom before purchase which ones would you compare before buying (i want your views here bcoz as they say seeing is believing).

Thanks again guys.

:) now Panny looks a lot more tempting. I will be using the TV primarily for watching movies, soaps, sports and occasionally gaming. The thing that worries is the Power bill now. ok so the buying date is coming near so my list seems to be Sammy 40ES6800 or ES6200 or LG 6690 or 6410 or Panny UT50inch (the new one 50 series of course). My previous TV a CRT (Onida) is 10+ years and still does its duty well so my next TV i'm looking at 5 yrs before a change so this is going to be major buy :). If you were to compare at the showroom before purchase which ones would you compare before buying (i want your views here bcoz as they say seeing is believing).

Thanks again guys.

Dont forget to demo sony HX750 at the showroom.

:) now Panny looks a lot more tempting. I will be using the TV primarily for watching movies, soaps, sports and occasionally gaming. The thing that worries is the Power bill now. ok so the buying date is coming near so my list seems to be Sammy 40ES6800 or ES6200 or LG 6690 or 6410 or Panny UT50inch (the new one 50 series of course). My previous TV a CRT (Onida) is 10+ years and still does its duty well so my next TV i'm looking at 5 yrs before a change so this is going to be major buy :). If you were to compare at the showroom before purchase which ones would you compare before buying (i want your views here bcoz as they say seeing is believing).<br />
<br />
Thanks again guys.
A plasma is not going to increase your power bill if you are replacing the CRT. On the other hand, the LED will reduce your bill.

You will get my own experience in the ST50 thread.

For the TV models you mentioned, the UT50 will outright beat the Samsungs and LGs, and even the HX750. But don't go by what I say test yourself. The Samsung 51E550 is the same league as 50UT50 but being slightly cheaper and coupled with the 3D package is more VFM. It will be easy to compare the e550 with other Samsung models.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

With the options that you have, it's a tough choice between LG LM6200 and Samsung ES6800R. But do remember that the ES6800R is a series 6 LED TV so the LM6200 would hold a slight advantage in terms of design and Smart TV features.

Don't go for design/smart feature of a tv...go for pic quality of a tv. Samsung model gonna offer superior pic quality than Lg model any day.

Panasonic is exiting the plasma market next year, even now they dont provide good service, so dont hope for any good service for your required minimum 5 yrs duration.

Panasonic is exiting the plasma market next year, even now they dont provide good service, so dont hope for any good service for your required minimum 5 yrs duration.

That is one thing new buyer needs to be made aware of. It is not even a rumor anymore, they are bleeding heavily in their TV business and they will most certainly be exiting the TV according to various sources on the net.

I really don't think that is a cause of concern. They will continue to provide after sales support to their products even if they do quit the TV business. Means nothing to buyers looking at getting a Panasonic TV as of now.

Zero cases of LCD burn-in reported on this forum when compared to many many issues reported with plasma, also to take into consideration LCD/LED TV sells 20 times more than plasma.

I think you guys are taking this a bit too far. Enough with the plasma vs lcd war. I'd say keep it till letting a new member know about lcd/plasma weakness and strengths

And @etios
You need to chill buddy.:)

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk

Posting 2-4 yrs old links on lcd burn in won't prove the point...led-lcd don't suffer burn in now-a-days while it is true for plasma still now unless you babysit your plasma..you can find more cases and most importantly new cases of plasma burn-in.

Last edited:
@just4kix, @lake1988

While I do appreciate your contribution to this forum, I have to say I do not appreciate the way you are starting yet another plasma vs led war here.
Since a few months this forum has been free from any major lcd vs plasma fight and I and everyone else here would like things to remain the same.

And surely the OP would not be too happy seeing the more recent posts here.

You can always choose to ignore some people and its not like our lives depend on defending/bashing lcd or plasma.

Arguing and fighting like small children isn't going to bring a solution

So relax and let peace prevail in this forum. A humble request :)

@etios

Buddy, maybe you dont realize but some of your posts seem like plasma bash posts. So try to word your posts in a better manner so as to not seem bashful or demeaning to plasma owners. At the end of the day both plasma and lcd are not perfect and we must accept that.

You complain that plasma fans recommend plasma in every thread even if the person would ne better off with a lcd set, but you have been doing the.opposite. People have different choices and nothing wrong if some people advocate plasmas while acknowledging its drawbacks.

I hope you will put an end to this cold war happening in this forum lately. Please

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk

Last edited:
avmax .. agreed.. neither LCD/LED or Plasma is perfect.. so let us not keep bringing the same issues here in different posts..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back