Ultimate DIY - soundsgreat!

suri

Hi forum members,

just back after a memorable visit to bangalore and meeting with soundsgreat (sreekanth).

I THINK I WILL NOT FORGET THE EXPERIENCE!!!

i listened to tapered quarter wavelength transmission line loudspeakers with a 5" (IIRC) doing midbass duty and a hybrid titanium/silk tweeter (1" IIRC) - these drivers are sreekanth's design and the entire process of manufacture is under sreekanth's direct supervision (and that includes the basket, the magnets, the arrangement of the voice coils - and sreekanth uses a full length copper sleeve over the pole piece in lieu of dual faraday rings).

the cross-overs are sreekanth's own design- he winds the inductors himself!

the cabinets ( the previous pictures posted by sreekanth are not these) are designed by sreekanth - two-tone veneer with night-sky effect on the black-
absolutely first class! - very rigid - when i placed my hand on the sides while the speaker was playing, i could not feel significant excitation.

when the first two tracks were played - i was, like, STUNNED!!!

the wind instruments - i could almost see the shape of the pursed lips of the flautist!!! - the back to front depth, and the rise and fall of volume was electric in it's substance - percussion was superb and the highs were airy, easy and well spaced - the integration between the drivers was very very good (except, i thought, for a little overemphasis of the top-end of the midrange) - the bass was the best i have heard in a very long time - and perfectly suited to the room!

there is so much these speakers do right, that any short-comings need to be dis-regarded to realize the magic that they can create -

i would be very interested in listening to/reading the experience of forum members who have listened/will listen to soundsgreat's system - i am still trying to come to grips with my experience and what i heard that day! -

it is not very often that one experiences a system like this - and i would be grateful if bangalore members listened to this system and posted their critical comments - it would be a useful learning experience for me.

@ soundsgreat - thanks for the superb experience - i think you were born into this art!

edit - about the rest of the components - including the DIY preamp and the DIY tapped transformer (?) volume control - sreekanth will elaborate?

Last edited:
Hi forum members,

just back after a memorable visit to bangalore and meeting with soundsgreat (sreekanth).

i listened to tapered quarter wavelength transmission line loudspeakers with a 5" (IIRC) doing midbass duty and a hybrid titanium/silk tweeter (1" IIRC) - these drivers are sreekanth's design and the entire process of manufacture is under sreekanth's direct supervision (and that includes the basket, the magnets, the arrangement of the voice coils - and sreekanth uses a full length copper sleeve over the pole piece in lieu of dual faraday rings).

the cabinets ( the previous pictures posted by sreekanth are not these) are designed by sreekanth - two-tone veneer with night-sky effect on the black-
absolutely first class! - very rigid - when i placed my hand on the sides while the speaker was playing, i could not feel significant excitation.

the wind instruments - i could almost see the shape of the pursed lips of the flautist!!! - the back to front depth, and the rise and fall of volume was electric in it's substance - percussion was superb and the highs were airy, easy and well spaced - the integration between the drivers was very very good (except, i thought, for a little overemphasis of the top-end of the midrange) - the bass was the best i have heard in a very long time - and perfectly suited to the room!

there is so much these speakers do right, that any short-comings need to be dis-regarded to realize the magic that they can create -

i would be very interested in listening to/reading the experience of forum members who have listened/will listen to soundsgreat's system - i am still trying to come to grips with my experience and what i heard that day! -

it is not very often that one experiences a system like this - and i would be grateful if bangalore members listened to this system and posted their critical comments - it would be a useful learning experience for me.

@ soundsgreat - thanks for the superb experience - i think you were born into this art!

Suri,Soundsgreat,

Though I have not heard Sreekanths speakers, judging from the excitement in Suris voice( I talked to Suri Soon after he listened to the speakers) I can understand that these are something absolutely special! I guess it just SOUNDS GREAT!
I am looking forward to an oppurtunity to hit Bangalore and listen to some music, as and when Sreekanth is free.

Titus

Last edited:
Me too not heard Sreekanth's speakers but have great regards for all he has made
Suri Sir did you get chance to check out the IC and the Anaconda speaker cables?
Were they used when you were having a listening session?

Me too not heard Sreekanth's speakers but have great regards for all he has made
Suri Sir did you get chance to check out the IC and the Anaconda speaker cables?
Were they used when you were having a listening session?

hi rikhav - sreekanth's IC and anaconda were used for the listening session - and they were the only ones used - the anacondas are really massive in diameter! regds

Hi Suri
did you also listen the MTM speakers he had? I have been asking Soundsgreat to post the internal construction photos...:D

cheers

Hi Suriji,

Thanks for that nicely written report. Sreekanth has left an open invitation for me (or any interested person I guess), but somehow I do not go to Bangalore with any significant frequency even if one of my closest friends lives there. Bangalore also has a few nice audio dealers with mouth-watering products. I have to visit Bangalore one of these days.

You did not mention what electronics were in use, or did you? Did I miss?

Hi Sreekanth,

We shall meet up some day and it will be my privilege to listen to your creations. However, unlike Suri, Cranky, AE and other technical people on the forum I will not be able to understand the work behind the creations, but can hope to appreciate only the music coming out of them. Keep up the good work.

Regards.

Congrats Soundsgreat!

Next time when I visit Bangalore i will visit you. Can you please pm your number.

rgds,
venu

Hi
Am truly happy to read about SGs DIY and the way it performs.

Hats off to him & the others here who are into DIY.
Rgds

Certainly not an easy task to accomplish SG!
I was left zonked reading Suri bhai's words of praise for your new baby.

Huge respects!

Hi,

Suri I should thank you for the visit and for the post :)!

Before I continue on with the explanation of the pre, I wish to thank one and all here in the forum for supporting me in my DIY efforts !

Also big thanks to all the guys here for posting and showing that your support is still intact :D !!

Now coming to the Tech bits,

Suri the driver is 6.5" not 5" !! Yes the dome tweeter is 1", One correction in the info aswell,the Dome tweeter was built completely built by me at my place,I got all the necessary components machined and assembled it at home !! The Midbass is what I got done under my supervision !

edit - about the rest of the components - including the DIY preamp and the DIY tapped transformer (?) volume control - sreekanth will elaborate?

The pre is a regular cathode follower (including CCS ) The power supply is a Capacitance multiplier type and regulated !

Coming to the volume control, Yes it is transformer based volume control !! its usually used in stand alone passive pre's,but I wanted to test it with a tube pre to check how it works and how the sound changes (or not),I wanted to see the effects of introducing such a component in tube design and study the results !

Currently its only a couple of days old (hardly had any burn-in when you Auditioned) so once it clocks some hours it show its colours (or absence of it ;) ) !!

Bout the Set-up for those who missed it !

1) The CDP is a Marantz CD63MK2 with no Mods what so ever (have not had time for it as yet )

2) Tube Pre with above said details (laying naked with no box :p )

3) Amp is a NAD Power Block (Model 906)

4) Cables, The IC is this MY DIY Interconnect

5) Speaker Cables are these The Anaconda

So thats that bout the system !

Sreekanth has left an open invitation for me (or any interested person I guess)

I didn't want to dampen the spirits of this thread but I have to tell this as I honestly felt this way !

I initially did have the open invitation for Audition but due to poor response and some bad experiences (will not name you know who you all are) I withdrew the invitation and allow visitors at seldom :sad:!! The same goes to me wanting to Audition some of the set-up,due to certain folks I've stopped bothering bout getting myself an Invitation !

Anyways moving on, I will be glad to play host to anyone who wishes to come over for an Audition ! The only thing I request from them is to have an open mind and no prejudice !! Come listen (Love it or Hate it ) and give a honest feedback ;)!

We shall meet up some day and it will be my privilege to listen to your creations. However, unlike Suri, Cranky, AE and other technical people on the forum I will not be able to understand the work behind the creations, but can hope to appreciate only the music coming out of them. Keep up the good work.

Asit you don't have to !! thats the beauty of folks like you,you need to have keen ears and nothing else to enjoy the music ! All the technology in the world at your disposal with them Perfect On/Off Axis response Flat Frequency Curve Blah Blah Blah fails to emote your emotions whats the Use ??
As a listener I always believe,One should not bother bout the internals of a product as much as he should on the outcome or the sound !As long as it sounds good to your ears and makes you listen to it more and more,then thats one Job well done !!

And a person like you who has been classically trained and such defiantly do not need to worry bout the tech bits ;)!

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi,

Hi Suri
did you also listen the MTM speakers he had? I have been asking Soundsgreat to post the internal construction photos...

cheers

Sridhar I shall do it soon ! first you come and check it out,then I shall start a thread on it and shall post all the data related to it !

As communicated to you,I've done the thing but Am not able to call you for the Audition as Am stuck with some stuff which needs to cleared (yes you may curse me as I've made it a habit of delaying and postponing).

Regards.

Hi Soundsgreat
not a problem as I have been lazy from my side as well. Lets try to do something this weekend....our showroom is up and operational again

cheers

That is just awesome ! More power to DIY !

The result is what matters! Nothing else.

Designing a pair of loudspeakers which can evoke such praise from an experienced listener means that you have achieved something special. I can only imagine the effort that has gone into it. Great Job sreekanth. Congratulations.

Hi Suri , nice to hear bout your audition session at Sreekanth's place !!!
His tapered quarter wavelength speakers are a class, he is truly a class apart :clapping:

Yes ... he is born into this art!!!!

Regards,
Anil

MY DIY EFFORT :cool:

Hi forum members,

Congrats Sreekanth!! I would like to audition your DIY speakers too. Please invite me for a one to two hour(s) listen:)

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back