Umrao Jaan - Sony DADC Vinyl Review

m_007

Khaiyyams majestic soundtrack for Umrao Jaan is pressed to vinyl once again courtesy of Sony DADC. Released in 1981 this is one of those instant classics that is timeless and so very Indian to its core. This is an exceptional soundtrack and we were fortunate that the recording of this album was stellar and used real instruments (no electronic stuff here). A great LP to be experienced through an analogue source.

Cover Art: The Sony DADC LP uses the form and structure of the original LP cover art on a glossy sturdy sleeve. The cover art picture is slightly altered through a different still of Rekha from the In Aankhon Ki Masti song. The new cover art is very low-res when compared with the original LP. The still taken for the new LP is off centre and this particular cover looks cheap and sloppy in comparison to the original LP. The picture used looks like a still from an on-line streamed copy of the film. Sony need to improve their quality with cover art

The rear sleeve largely replicates the original LP with the addition of the copyright and license info from Sony DADC and of course, a very low res picture (with washed out colours).

The record: The record is pressed on great quality vinyl. Very glossy and no warping issues. It is housed in a plain, poly-lined inner sleeve and was amazingly clean. The label is bare bones and really only has the LP Title and an interesting statement "See Inlay Card for Details" which reminds me of the cassette days. No track listing is on the record label itself.

Track listing and track placement is identical to the original LP.

The LP replicates this track listing faithfully.

I compared this LP with the original 1981 release and two different CD versions that I have (Made in UK CDs Bazaar/Umarao Jaan & Pakeezah/Umrao Jaan).

The sound: I played the LP on my Audio Technica LP-1240 paired with a Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge and stylus with about 60 hours of usage. I played each track and compared with the CD. I can (on request) try to provide a track by track breakdown between the CD and LP releases that I have - but for now I am posting a summary of the complete LP.

From the get go, you can clearly hear digital compression. The original LP and CDs have a wonderful and open soundstage. Wide dynamics. All of this is lost on the Sony DADC LP. I couldnt find a point in the LP where I felt the sound really opened up. Highs are a mess. Bass is good, but not as deep as the original LP or the CDs. While this LP sounds okay for casual listening it is difficult to listen to after hearing the original LP and the CDs.

I listened to the Sony DADC version before playing the original LP and CDs. I could hear issues from the very first song. The processing on the source files is very evident on a first listen (perhaps exacerbated when pressing to vinyl?) That digital NR that causes a squelching sound on any highs is there throughout the LP. A real shame (and what a waste of money for me!)

The next batch of LPs has been announced and while I would love to pick up some of the titles (Ijaazat / Ghar is right at the top of my list) I am saving my money to source more original pressings as Sony has not done a great job with this first batch of LPs.

thanks for very forthright review. it is unfortunate that the result is bad but then so many factors involved which contribute to the end result.

i am looking forward to reviews from fm's who have put in huge efforts on the arr compilation, hope that the result of the same is better than this release from sony.

M_007, the new film releases like Raanjhana, Greatest Hits Arijit, etc, are very nice. Try one of them. I never buy new releases of old soundtracks. Several times I have mentioned on various threads that they are digitally sourced and compressed.

Khaiyyams majestic soundtrack for Umrao Jaan is pressed to vinyl once again courtesy of Sony DADC. Released in 1981 this is one of those instant classics that is timeless and so very Indian to its core. This is an exceptional soundtrack and we were fortunate that the recording of this album was stellar and used real instruments (no electronic stuff here). A great LP to be experienced through an analogue source.

Cover Art: The Sony DADC LP uses the form and structure of the original LP cover art on a glossy sturdy sleeve. The cover art picture is slightly altered through a different still of Rekha from the In Aankhon Ki Masti song. The new cover art is very low-res when compared with the original LP. The still taken for the new LP is off centre and this particular cover looks cheap and sloppy in comparison to the original LP. The picture used looks like a still from an on-line streamed copy of the film. Sony need to improve their quality with cover art

The rear sleeve largely replicates the original LP with the addition of the copyright and license info from Sony DADC and of course, a very low res picture (with washed out colours).

The record: The record is pressed on great quality vinyl. Very glossy and no warping issues. It is housed in a plain, poly-lined inner sleeve and was amazingly clean. The label is bare bones and really only has the LP Title and an interesting statement "See Inlay Card for Details" which reminds me of the cassette days. No track listing is on the record label itself.

Track listing and track placement is identical to the original LP.

The LP replicates this track listing faithfully.

I compared this LP with the original 1981 release and two different CD versions that I have (Made in UK CDs Bazaar/Umarao Jaan & Pakeezah/Umrao Jaan).

The sound: I played the LP on my Audio Technica LP-1240 paired with a Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge and stylus with about 60 hours of usage. I played each track and compared with the CD. I can (on request) try to provide a track by track breakdown between the CD and LP releases that I have - but for now I am posting a summary of the complete LP.

From the get go, you can clearly hear digital compression. The original LP and CDs have a wonderful and open soundstage. Wide dynamics. All of this is lost on the Sony DADC LP. I couldnt find a point in the LP where I felt the sound really opened up. Highs are a mess. Bass is good, but not as deep as the original LP or the CDs. While this LP sounds okay for casual listening it is difficult to listen to after hearing the original LP and the CDs.

I listened to the Sony DADC version before playing the original LP and CDs. I could hear issues from the very first song. The processing on the source files is very evident on a first listen (perhaps exacerbated when pressing to vinyl?) That digital NR that causes a squelching sound on any highs is there throughout the LP. A real shame (and what a waste of money for me!)

The next batch of LPs has been announced and while I would love to pick up some of the titles (Ijaazat / Ghar is right at the top of my list) I am saving my money to source more original pressings as Sony has not done a great job with this first batch of LPs.

I have to agree. I did not even think that I was buying something new. I just placed an order on Ebay and received this a few weeks later in the mail. I have 2 setups on which I listened.

1. MMF5.1-> NAD phonpremap-> Adcom amps -> Vandys - sounded flat;
2. Uturn orbit with Ortofon red-> Jolida 1501 -> ELACs -- sounded flat again

All my older records sound so alive and good. I will now need to ensure that I do not buy any new pressings at all. I'll need to obtain a 1981 version of this vinyl to reset the horrible listening experience I had with this Vinyl!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back