Upgrading my Dared VP-300B Tube Amplifier

I did two upgrades on my 300B amplifier yesterday evening,
1. Added two ferrite beads on the grid stopper resistor lead. Did not notice any degrade or upgrade on the SQ with this. There was anyway no RF hiss or howling in the amplifier before this too. Its more of a placebo for me.

2. Restored my partial negative feedback loop from the 300B plate to the grid stopper resistor of the 300B tube. Actually this part of the ckt was initially tested couple of months ago but i removed them due to improper value of resistor and capacitor. I yesterday added the exact same value of resistor and capacitor as used in the T-Rex 300B amplifier designed by John Broskie some decade and half ago. This is a huge change in way the amplifier sounds w.r.t. gain, distortion and bandwidth. Anybody who have listened to a SET based 300B would have experienced a bit higher 2nd harmonic distortion as high as 2% which gives the vocals a bit edgy tone which could extend in some recordings which could be sometime sweet but some high pitch sound could lead to listen fatigue. This partial negative feedback removes all the edginess and reduces the distortion to very low minuscule level not only on paper but also in listening tests.

I was amazed with the clean sound of the 300B which i had never experienced before in my setup and was getting used to it all these years as nothing much could be done as its the signature of the tube due to its Trans-conductance and gain. The partial negative feedback uses the input voltage swing to adjust the tube trans-conductance to prevent adjusting of the plate current / voltage w.r.t the swing and there by reducing the distortion.

I was intrigued to measure the distortion which as per the original manual was 2% THD. I had downloaded the RMAA 5.5 couple of years ago and the application was lying unused in my laptop which i put to use today. I connected the input/ output and measured the -dB range of 1KHz fundamental and its associated harmonic distortion. I noticed that the 2nd harmonics was -84dBu and 3rd harmonic was -96dBu. converting this to % scale means its 0.0062% for 2nd harmonic and 0.0015% for 3rd harmonic. This was the first version of my test and will like to also cross-verify by removing the feedback loop on the same amplifier. But listening test can for sure confirm the loss of the edginess in the vocals.

I have noticed one more small change after adding the partial negative feedback loop. The amp now requires 10 to 15 minutes of warmup before they can sound it's full potential. Earlier this was not so and they sounded same turning on and with passage of time.

After carefully listening for 2 weeks i removed the partial negative feedback loop from my 300B power amplifier. No doubt, the distortion is reduced a lot, but it also removes the juice and transients from the music which i use to enjoy a lot with my amplifier. Now i am listening as per original design, but have retained the ferrite beads in the grid stopper resistor leads of the 300Bs with good outcomes.

Planning couple of mods this month on the 300Bs,

# 1 - 300B cathode bypass capacitor will be modified from Rubycon 100uF,250V Electrolytic to 55uF, 250V Polyester ( 33uF + 22uF) in parallel.

# 2 - 12Au7 input stage tube (pre-driver) bypass capacitor will be modified from Nichicon 100uF,50V electrolytic to 100uF,50V Unicon Bi-polar capacitor. Will also put one 1uF,100V PP capacitor parallel with this capacitor to reduce ESR.

Planning couple of mods this month on the 300Bs,

# 1 - 300B cathode bypass capacitor will be modified from Rubycon 100uF,250V Electrolytic to 55uF, 250V Polyester ( 33uF + 22uF) in parallel.

# 2 - 12Au7 input stage tube (pre-driver) bypass capacitor will be modified from Nichicon 100uF,50V electrolytic to 100uF,50V Unicon Bi-polar capacitor. Will also put one 1uF,100V PP capacitor parallel with this capacitor to reduce ESR.

This was a well deserved mod and gave me sound stage and dynamics that i had thought of. The ESR of the capacitor do play a role in the overall sound stage. The ultrapath capacitor is now reduced from 30uF to 8uF and the 30uF is now paralleled with the cathode by-pass. So the total cathode bypass capacitance is now 93uF which is perfect for my setup.

Now because of all the mods done to this amplifier, the original chassis is not designed to hold so many external components and modifications and now there are many hanging parts inside the amplifier which could prove disastrous in case of an eventuality. So now i am drooling if i should go for an complete 300B rebuilt project. Yes this means a new pcb, new chassis and everything else new other than the components currently used. I will modify the circuit further to have a 5V voltage regulator for the 300B heater, add the ultrapath to the pch, have PIO capacitors for the psu, RF/EMI / additional earthing for noise removal etc etc etc. I am still drooling on this possibility and everything in planning stage. Maybe if this turns out especially well then i may go commercial on a case to case basis. Who knows. The 300B have a cult following which no other tube has and now i have gathered quite a bit of experience in getting to know, what makes the 300B tube sound so well. Hope this reubilt venture materalizes and is within my budget.

Now because of all the mods done to this amplifier, the original chassis is not designed to hold so many external components and modifications and now there are many hanging parts inside the amplifier which could prove disastrous in case of an eventuality. So now i am drooling if i should go for an complete 300B rebuilt project.

Hari, I have read this thread with great interest - very detailed and informative. And full of perseverance. BTW, all these mods remind me of the Ship of Theseus - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus !

What 300B tubes are you considering?

Tx!

Hari, I have read this thread with great interest - very detailed and informative. And full of perseverance. BTW, all these mods remind me of the Ship of Theseus - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus !

What 300B tubes are you considering?

Tx!
Thanks for your interest in the rebuilt.
The Dared came originally with Shuguaug 300B tubes which I replaced last year December with Psavane 300B-N mesh plate tubes which is way better than the original tubes. I will be retaining the same tubes if I consider rebuild.

I also own this amp and was interested to find this thread. I'll consider doing some of these.
First I have a question.
On one of mine, one of the output taps has stopped working. They're not labeled and I haven't received a response yet from Dared. Do you know which tap is 4 ohm and which is 8?
Also, what would be your order of troubleshooting this problem?
thx

I also own this amp and was interested to find this thread. I'll consider doing some of these.
First I have a question.
On one of mine, one of the output taps has stopped working. They're not labeled and I haven't received a response yet from Dared. Do you know which tap is 4 ohm and which is 8?
Also, what would be your order of troubleshooting this problem?
thx
Are you telling that either the left or right channel is not working or only the 8 ohm tap is not working? I doubt if a transformer will fail only in one of the tap, because if the winding burn, the entire transformer becomes useless
To me it looks like a dry solder at the terminal.

If you have a multimeter, the 4 ohm tap should be around 0.4 ohm and the 8 ohm tap around 0.7 ohm.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back